Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Does this sound hopeful?

(11 posts)
  1. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 13 2009 0:44:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I know you guys have experienced varying degrees of infestation. I'm seeking a reality check--how hopeful/hopeless does this sound:

11/29- wake up in new apartment with bedbug staring me down, bloodstain on pillow, no bites
    11/30- first treatment, possible bite on shoulder
    12/2-two bites on back, BB fecal stain on pajama top (let dog sleep on bed, bad idea)
    12/3-discover 3 bites (presumably) on dog's tummy. Look like small blood blisters.
    12/7-discover new bite on dog
    12/8- 3 bloodstains on pajamas, possibly from cracked/dry hands?
    12/9- second treatment
    12/11- bite on cheek, bloodstain on pillow

My responses:
    Dispose of old box spring
    Encase mattress and box spring
    Use all-white sheets/pajamas to aid detection
    Dog sleeps in crate, and I brush his fur with DE and sprinkle it in his crate
    Interceptors on couch and bed
    No clutter in bedroom
    All textiles (clothing, linens, etc.) ziplocked or in bug-zip bags
    In the process of baking my shoes and ziplocking them
    Best Yet (cedar oil) treatment in closets
    Vacuuming
    2 showers per day
    Alcohol spraying shoes before leaving house, and coat/purse is ziplocked when entering/leaving
    Just got car steam cleaned, will Sterifab tomorrow once it's dry
    Pronto on suitcases (on porch to dry) and will bag/store them. Tempted to trash them permanently and never ever travel again.

I guess I'm looking for affirmation here. I'm doing the right things, right? Would you consider this a mild infestation? Is there hope? I keep telling myself all things are possible with God, even winning against tiny, invisible, sneaky vampires... and that He loves me and will not let harm come to me. Nothing is impossible with Him... if He wants me to win this war, I will. If He doesn't, he'll give me the courage to deal with it. Either way, hearing from you guys definitely helps too.

2. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 15 2009 0:37:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Edit: yesterday got a bedbug bite on my butt. Kind of funny actually. Except now I think the office is starting to think I'm crazy.

3. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Dec 15 2009 15:53:02
    #

Login to Send PM

hi foab
    well, it doesn't sound NOT hopeful even with the butt-bite <g>
    remember, chemical treatments take awhile to work -the bugs have to cross the poisons to get to you, and even then, take a few days to die after crossing the poison (up to 10-14 days sometimes for some poisons, like Phantom, which is effective but takes a looong time to kill them. also DE takes 10 days too). so, i wouldn't worry about new bites during the first week to 10 days after a treatment, but WOULD call the PCO back in if you get bitten 10 days after treatment.
    sorry about your dog . . .mine gets bites on her tummy too <and face>. am curious, what kind do you have? Folks keep saying bbs will normally not bite dogs - but they totally bit mine, and i think its cuz she has short hair, and even then they just bit her almost hairless parts (tummy, inside ears, eyelids, etc). i hadn't thought about brushing her with DE. . .do you worry your dog will inhale it? <its bad for lungs>. Anyway, good luck to you!! You sound like your following BB protocol to a t and being really careful not to infest others, so even if you need one more treatment, it should all be over soon-ish.

4. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2009 23:31:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Wchicago, thanks for the info. I called my PCO to find out if bites after the fact were bad news, and he hadn't called me back yet.

I have a 75-lb. australian cattle dog/bearded collie mix. Very furry. I noticed what looked like small blood blisters on his tum, and had never noticed them before, so I am assuming they are BB bites (particularly after getting bites of my own after letting him sleep on my bed). I am not concerned about the DE at this point... if he starts coughing, I will back down a bit. But I think that I want to stick with natural cures for him. I am pretty sure that Frontline (which, I know, is not effective against bedbugs anyway) seems to be the cause of his 4 seizures this year. I also am using Best Yet (cedar oil based) on him as it is safe for pets and even personal use (or at least is labeled that way). I do not want to hurt him at all, he is my buddy. At this point, I'm thinking some lung irritation (which I'm at risk for too, at this point) would be a heck of a lot less harmful to him than more seizures.

Is your dog the one in your photo? Looks like a cutie. I love pugs.

Thank you for your response, and I hope your battle is going well. I am glad to at least be past the worst of the battle, and starting to feel more hopeful. I lost about 10 lbs. in the last couple weeks because this situation has taken away my appetite, so I guess I can count that as one benefit of the situation. But I am starting to feel more "normal"... not constantly sick in the pit of my stomach. I think I'm learning to trust God more throughout this too, so I think there are reasons this has happened to me.

Hang in there, and keep fighting the good fight.

5. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Dec 16 2009 23:41:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and by the way... I am throwing all my suitcases away. I am pretty sure I could never use one again. I'm going to find a good old military duffel bag and just wash it after every trip, and keep everything ziplocked inside of it. It might not be super convenient, but peace of mind is more important.

6. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Dec 17 2009 23:57:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Just read the FAQ on DE, and sounds like I am over-using it pretty badly. Will look into getting a puffer thingy and a respirator mask before further use. I guess I just went buck-wild when my PCO said to apply it directly to the dog. I should always educate myself thoroughly.

7. flabergasted

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Dec 18 2009 1:31:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I spent hours applying it in a fine layer with brushes in closets and finiture with a hepa filter mask rated for asbestos removal. Please take your dog and bath it down good.

This is crazy stuff you can eat it but don't inhale it. I was terrified of that with my cat. I think she feels like a prisoner in her own house right now becasue all the rooms whre her window seats are I treated are closed. I have some in the areas wher I was cleaning and pack so no one goes in them except me becasue I know where I applied it.

When they say dust they mean a find layer I dip the brush and cover about a 6" to 1' strip along the baseboard with what is on it. When I hit it with the flash light after it look the kids were playing with the fun sand again that has sparkles it is so fine that all that is required.

With Bait's, nobugsonme and spiderjg's help I was able to find a good quality product from a reputable dealer and the learn how to properly apply it before I received it. I still have alot of questions read my new post to the members I think I may have gone a little to far.

First and foremost with stuff is be SAFE it is not he miracle cure but everything point to it helps to control after you have had a proper treament by a PCO. I am now looking to forward to the next 45 days it been 15 since I found a live one.

8. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Dec 19 2009 20:01:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Flabergasted. I hope that you continue to go BB-free.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Dec 20 2009 0:16:14
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are still getting bites, you need more treatments -- it is a good idea for the follow up visit to be about 2 weeks after the first. I agree you should call for follow up now. Most treatments with pesticides take more than one application to treat.

Keep in mind it is very hard to know exactly when you are bitten (we're told bites can take up to 9 days to appear, and while one or a few days may be more common, most people probably don't know, unless they see themselves being bitten and monitor the spot after that; even then, it may vary).

I am not clear on why you're doing so much self-treating if you have a professional working on it too. If the closets are infested, why doesn't the PCO treat them? We do not know much about Cedarcide, since the manufacturer has not yet released any independent testing data. It may be a contact kill (which means you have to hit bed bugs directly to kill them). Your PCO is going to have access to much better stuff, and the residual hangs around for a while -- it's important not to apply other things (or clean) on top of it and wash it away!

Be really careful with DE -- you do not want anyone to inhale it, during application or later. I don't like the PCO telling you to apply DE to the dog; although food grade DE is considered safe by many, it can harm your lungs. And I am thinking about how dogs shake, and how they live in close contact with us.

I would be insistent about follow ups. They are generally considered a normal part of bed bug treatment with sprays. You're actually lucky you react to bites, so you know you still have them!

Also, FWIW, I would not rush to throw things out. Some things can be treated by PCOs, others can't. I'd follow the PCO's lead on what needs to be discarded, and before tossing it, I would destroy it if possible.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 21 2009 0:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

NoBugs, I checked with my PCO before doing anything extra, and actually he did treat the closets, couch, etc. along with the bedroom. I am trying to do everything reasonably possible to beat these things ASAP. He did say it's OK to vacuum where he had treated previously, for example.

I'm disappointed about the misinformation on the DE, too, but I get the impression that this PCO is not totally in the loop on the BB war. Although he has treated BB situations before, Albuquerque isn't quite an epicenter like NY or anything, so I'm guessing he just didn't realize the danger of DE. There is a lot of conflicting info on these buggers, too... enough to make my head spin sometimes.

I haven't thrown much out, although the whole situation has really made me reevaluate the worth of a lot of my clutter. Some things went in the trash simply because I realized I didn't care enough about them to treat them. I generally throw things out in black trash bags, or will deface it before putting it in the dumpster (had fun taking a serrated knife to my cheap footstool).

Thank you for your advice. I hope that, through all the conflicting advice, victory comes soon.

11. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Dec 21 2009 16:21:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: talked to the office and I'm hopeful that they will provide another treatment. The PCO said the cedar stuff wouldn't hurt, so I did spray it on the dog, in the closets, and in my guitar case (I'm counting on it to repel any bugs from those items/areas, and not counting on the kill at this point... I tend to agree with you about not putting too much faith in something that lacks independent testing). Still working towards intelligent hope.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956