Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Does Spraying Bed Really Work (Thoughts?)

(6 posts)
  1. Alexdfff

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Sep 5 2018 14:57:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Quick Summary. I live in a 4 bedroom single family house and I was the only person experiencing any BB bites. Timeline:

- End of June -- Was being bitten, several misses by BB inspectors despite evidence on bed, continued to be bitten, I found live bed bugs. Result, they came and did a heat treatment on my bedroom.

- End of July -- follow up inspection with K9 unit, didn't find anything live, but I continued to find weird blood spots on what I thought were BB fecal marks on my bed. They did a preventative spray of my bed and the floor around my bed. Still never found any live BB's, but found dead ones from the heat treatment.

- Did not have any issue all of August and I thought the issue was resolved.

- A few days ago I noticed a few bites (I have been getting bit by ants and mosquitoes this summer so I wasn't sure) but then found more blood spots on my bed, along with what I thought again were fecal stains. I posted on here but the results were inconclusive. I did a preventative spray of my entire bed, mattress, all around the floor boards. I then found blood spots on my pillow again the next day (I posted those yesterday in a different thread, no reply). So last night, I threw out the rug I had in my room that had been left over from the previous owner of the house. I also did another full spray, much more thorough, of my entire bed frame and any area where bugs could get from the frame to the mattress or the floor to the frame.

- I did not find any new stains this morning and STILL I have not found a live bed bug since the before the initial heat treatment.

Am I crazy that there still might be bugs in the room though I have not found any live evidence and only have blood spots and inconclusive fecal stains? Does spraying as I have actually work or should I get them to come back and do another heat treatment for peace of mind?

We all know these bastards cause anxiety so I'm just trying to logically and calmly address the issue. I've purchased some traps for the legs of the bed, some additional spray, Cimexa powder, and a hepa vacuum to do some of the crevices where dead BBs or eggs may be.

Please advise, much appreciated. If you click on my name you can find my old posts and see the pics of the stains.

Thanks so much, this is an amazing forum!

2. Mf1616

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Sep 5 2018 17:35:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Did they only treat your room and nowhere else in the house? Bed bugs could have just moved somewhere else in the house while your room was being treated, and have now come back. K9 detection isn’t always accurate, from what I’ve learned from this forum. Bites are not indicative of bed bugs, but I would set up a passive monitor (packtite or DIY) to try and catch a live sample.

For the record, I am NOT an expert.
    My advice/opinion comes from past experience(s) with bed bugs and what I have read on-line.
  3. Mf1616

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Sep 5 2018 17:39:37
    #

Login to Send PM

**i meant to say that blood isn’t indicative of bed bugs

4. Alexdfff

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Wed Sep 5 2018 20:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Mf1616 - 3 hours ago  » 
    Did they only treat your room and nowhere else in the house? Bed bugs could have just moved somewhere else in the house while your room was being treated, and have now come back. K9 detection isn’t always accurate, from what I’ve learned from this forum. Bites are not indicative of bed bugs, but I would set up a passive monitor (packtite or DIY) to try and catch a live sample.

They focused the heat treatment on my room but the whole house got really hot in the process. They also did preventative sprays in the other rooms in the house. We also had to move some heat sensitive items out of my room that I inspected but didn't necessarily guarantee were not infested.

The general comments from all the inspectors was that the house is extremely clean and they didn't see a lot of areas the bed bugs could be hiding that were outside of my bed frame or the rug. I disposed of the rug yesterday. The bedframe is still there and I have done my best to neutralize to the extent I can.

To date, the ONLY place I've found live bedbugs has been IN my bed frame.

More background, I also have a walk in closet and a bathroom in this bedroom. Neither of those rooms have been sprayed, but both received the effects of the heat treatment when it was performed. I am not sure whether these rooms are even effected, as there has been no signs of BB activity anywhere in the bedroom aside from the bedframe.

5. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Sep 6 2018 3:00:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Whatever you're spraying won't be as strong as what a PCO has access to.
    Not to say what you're doing is ineffective.
    It's possible the bugs are resistant to what you're spraying but it's also possible there are no bugs.
    I personally would wait for a live bug before paying more.
    Passive monitors are cheap.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  6. Alexdfff

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Sep 6 2018 9:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 6 hours ago  » 
    Whatever you're spraying won't be as strong as what a PCO has access to.
    Not to say what you're doing is ineffective.
    It's possible the bugs are resistant to what you're spraying but it's also possible there are no bugs.
    I personally would wait for a live bug before paying more.
    Passive monitors are cheap.

I am ordering some passive monitors today. Thanks for the advice

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,511 posts in 47,004 topics over 143 months by 20,744 of 21,019 members. Latest: Ohnoihopenot, bedbugnitemare, C333