Does isolating bed, couch work? What's the downside? [now: it wasn't bed bugs]

(4 posts)
  1. curls

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 7 2012 0:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been seeing, there's dispute on whether isolating works. But can't find details.

Is there any reason the following (plan below) would:
    1. Not work, if left in place for 6 or so months from last bite
    2. Create increased problems for an exterminator if I eventually need one.

Everything says, get a PCO if you can from the start. So what am I missing in how this works, and what goes wrong?

The Plan:

I'm in a townhouse, just me. Doctor is thinking my lots of welts are bedbugs (breakfast, lunch dinner pattern). Currently I'm on a visit to family for 3 weeks. On return, I'll 4mm plastic cover & duct tape up:
    - bed frame, mattresses, couch.

Add climb ups & remove all bridges (to floor, walls, furniture) & talc weekly per the company's instructions.

Does this work? The bedbugs would not go dormant since I'd be bait they're trying to get to. They'd either die in the climb ups, or in the plastic encasings. I currently spend almost all home time on the bed, or couch. I eat on couch, do paperwork on couch/bed. I only walk around... to get food, do laundry, take a shower.

I'd really appreciate help!! Thanks!!

2. Jparanoid

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 8 2013 18:29:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Any updates?

3. curls

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 8 2013 18:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

@Jparanoid

Much to my delight, I didn't have bedbugs. Still not idea what bit me, 3 in a row. My doctor said it wasn't a spider. He suggested bedbugs as "possible." Whatever it was, I haven't had the same welts since.

If I remember well enough, folks here with experience convinced me that isolation wasn't likely to fully work. It'd take too long. Just one mistake would do it in. And BBs even have been known to climb to the ceiling, climb over the bed, and drop down. How creepy is that?

I did research exterminators and put what I found in some comments to other posts. So if you search for or follow long my postings... maybe I have something helpful for you?

I don't worry about BBs. I think they are slower to spread than the hype inplies. Or we'd all have them by now - everyone who's ever had company that once slept in a hotel. i.e. it's not like a virus. They seem hard to erradicate, and there in lies the problem.

Best of success! This site has a lot of good info. A lot of sites don't and are just out to sell their particular products.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 8 2013 20:55:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update, curls.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,897 posts in 49,843 topics over 154 months by 21,812 of 22,278 members. Latest: jls954, bedbbg, Bolshoibooze88