Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Does freezing eggs kill them or preserve them?

(4 posts)
  1. onguard

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2013 17:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    I read one of the searched posts about freezing but it seemed inconclusive about eggs--it was more about the bugs themselves.

So it's very cold now in Illinois, and I had a twin-sized mattress last week that had a couple small infestations in it. I have it in a covered patio in back (I thought about the front yard but it wouldn't match the decor of the rusted washing machine and the car on cinder blocks :wink:), but the patio is fully outdoors and it's going to be 0 F for a few days.

Does anyone know if any of the eggs that may exist will be killed or simply preserved after this exposure? I would think after another couple days the core of the mattress should get to 0 F, but all I've read suggests bb's don't burrow into the center of the mattress, (let me know if I'm wrong on this).
    Thanks,
    Onguard

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2013 17:39:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Freezing outside will never work because its not an active freezing process in exactly the same way that heating outside in black bags, the dessert or your old faithful F-150 pick up.

You can freeze in a controlled environment but to be certain it works you need to log the temperatures of the freezers first to make sure they will work.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2013 17:45:04
    #

Login to Send PM

But, David, if my F150 is on cinderblocks will that in any way impact success? (sorry, onguard..couldn't resist).

I'm where at night, with windchills it can hit negative 35 to 50 below zero (temp is slightly under 0, but that windchill is fierce). Anyway, some of our local PCOs have put sofas, etc. out for a week or more and there are always some survivors so far. I can look for the link.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 21 2013 17:55:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi TOAT,

Yes of course the insulating effect of the rubber wheels, let me run a computational analysis of the variables ............. no sorry wheels or not it aint going to work.

Now build a thermal pumping unit that took the energy available from the windchill to drive a thermal extractor and use temperature log tags to QC and you may have a solution.

The next time you hear a PCO suggest leaving a sofa outside to get rid of bedbugs please advise them that it only works if they sleep on it in their boxer shorts and that if they were professional they would offer to do it for their clients. Then just leave the rest to Darwin and its the winter equivalent of a little dash of extra chlorine to the gene pool of life.

I heard rumors they tried it with SL but he was too well insulated (if you don't immediately know who SL is please don't ask as I won't let on).

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,337 posts in 46,549 topics over 141 months by 20,529 of 21,391 members. Latest: TuliusCeasar, Bugsss, northeastbugger