Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Does bed bug poop show on metal?

(10 posts)
  1. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 7:34:59
    #

Login to Send PM

still on the hunt for evidence to substansiate my continuing bites and was just considering the possibility bugs living within the frame of my bed in the hollow tubing? There are a few tiny exit/entry holes but i am unable to inspect anything other than the beds exterior frame. Anyway my query is if bbs were coming and going in this way would faecal marks show up on a white metal bed frame. I am not going with the frequently stated comment that bbs do not like metal. I have no signs of anything on the beds frame or slatted base despite numerous inspections and the mattress has been encased since the bed was purchased. I have seen lots of pics on this site of faecal stains on wooden and fabric surfaces but so far no sign of anything on metal. I would appreciate some education in this matter, many thanks and Happy new year to you all.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 9:18:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear jduk,

BB fecal stains are found where the Bb left them.

In my work I tend to use those photos that show the subject matter best and I assume that others would do the same.

I can show you metal bed frames with a multitude of such fecal deposits. (In fact, a lot of folks don't know this but the ones left on ferris metals, ie those containing iron, smell like roses and taste like licorice.) Sorry I was kidding there !

In short, BB fecal stains can and do occur on metal.

And, yes, they can get into the hollow tubing as you mention above. I've seen them in such places before.

Remember, because BBs can hide anywhere, we may have to look everywhere.

Hope this helps (and sorry to anyone offended by my attempt at some BB humor above!) paul b.

3. jduk

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 10:35:56
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for your reply pbello. Roses and licorice, hmm! that sounds rather lovely. i am really just attempting to establish if i would see faecal on metal(sounds like some thrash band), and feel a little relieved that i have no such marks but will of course remain vigilant. hope your "honey Do" day is going well, you sound like a thoroughly good chap mr bello, i thank you.

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 11:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess it's all in the presentation; "dead animal flesh heated over an open flame" does not sound nearly as appetizing as pan seared elk medallions properly aged to perfection then marinated with our chef's special blend of herbs & spices in a brandy reduction, or does it?
    (And, now that I think of it, does "wild caught grouper" mean the same thing as snagged by the mouth with a hook whilst being dragged from the ocean floor dropped on the deck of a boat and thrown into a bucket where it hastily grasped its' last breaths before slowly painfully eventually expiring?)

Yes, I'll have the broiled blackened grouper please !

Being at the top of the food chain is a huge responsibility.

The roses & licorice thing, that's a trade secret; shhh as no one knows about that. OK, I gott get back to taking tree down.

thx much ! pb

5. iamscared

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 11:42:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I used to like licorice, Paul. Not from today.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 11:52:23
    #

Login to Send PM

The red variety is still good ! : )

7. bedbuganxiety

Account Closed

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 12:14:01
    #

Login to Send PM

My question to Paul is.....How do you know it tastes like licorice?!.....LOL

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Dec 31 2011 12:23:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Due to a litany of reasons I cannot divulge certain resources. You'll just have to take my word for it. : )

9. Bugged out in Da Bronx

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jan 3 2012 23:21:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Great question that started out this thread and of personal interest to me. I too am still trying to figure out if I still have BB's (or if I ever had them). I often wondered of the possibility of bugs living within the frame of my bed in the hollow tubing too, except that the hollow tubing is a dark moss green and some dark brass.
    I've often looked to see if I could spot any fecal matter on the frame and tubing but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to recognize it if I saw it. One of the PCO's that came to treat mentioned "the possibility" but couldn't detect any himself. Said it would be hard (at least he was honest if not much of an expert).
    My question is: how do you inspect to detect and then how do you treat. There are not many PCOs that would go looking in such detail. If there are any out there please let me know. Thanks.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jan 4 2012 5:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, bed bugs can live on metal. EffeCi had pointed this out with images of residue and bugs on a metal bed frame. I have noted this on this site in the past. Since the droppings cannot be absorbed into metal, they ball up or are solid on the surface and do not look like ink spots on fabric.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/ look at the images especially those of plastic, metal, wood, fabric so you can see the differences. If you download the large image, you can zoom in to see a macro view similar to using a magnifying glass.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur