Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Does baking items in your car kill bb eggs?

(14 posts)
  1. bugsinminneapolis

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 19:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

If I fill a passenger van with various items such as a trunk, dresser, jewelry boxes, shoes, and purses, for two days in the sun without opening it once, will the eggs and bugs be completely dead?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 23:13:14
    #

Login to Send PM

There are no guarantees. If it is very hot, it is possible. But you can't rely on it.

If you were to experiment, I would be wary of trying this except with items that are sealed airtight in a black plastic bag (which will make items hotter).

If you toss furniture in your car, you could actually bring bed bugs into the car, not a good idea.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 10:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

It all depends on the temperature. Everything needs to be 120 at the core minimum. With piles or bags of stuff that can be hard.

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 10:44:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I gotta go with NO.

5. bugsinminneapolis

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 14:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

BakedBedBugs: How long does an item need to be 120 degrees or more to kill the bb eggs?

6. bugsinminneapolis

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 14:21:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, what can I do about a wooden table and chairs, and a wooden dresser, both items are in the living room, where I've never been bitten?

7. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 15:26:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston, you are probably right. The chances of acheiving thermal death point in the situation above is very, very slim.

8. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2008 17:27:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I am yet to hear of anyone who managed to self bake using a car and get a result. Using thermal is a lot more complex than you would initially assume and knowing when enough heat has penetrated is not something you can easily calculate.

David

9. buggedmama

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 21 2008 21:17:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Your wooden table and chairs can be washed with Murphy's wood soap, sprayed with pesticide, or DE, or a combination of the three.

10. klopi

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 6 2011 12:33:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I've measured temps all over my car (older Honda CRV) during California summer (e.i. 85 degrees outside, cloudless skies) and some places in the car get super hot! The dashboard, for example, went up to at least 158F, possibly higher. On the other hand, the floor of the car rarely breaks 100F. I put some files in a black plastic bag and put them on my front seat for a few hours. Later I put a thermometer right in the middle of the tightest pack of papers and it clocked in at 127. I think if done carefully and in small batches, and everything carefully sealed, a hot car can be used for thermal treatment. I've put things like purses and leather bags on the dash (sealed air-tight, of course) and I'm confident that they got more than hot enough; I've put thermometers inside them after taking them out and they are burning-hot.

11. djames1921

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Sep 6 2011 13:17:16
    #

Login to Send PM

We have done similar tests and as others have stated it is not a good idea. Your goal is 120 f for an hour and even on bags you get cool spots, most often at the bottom of the bag between the bag and the clothes. Unbagged items should never be attempted in a car as the heat source for this type of treatment is convection which forces bed bugs to flee hot zones for cool ones, and yes you will always have cool ones in a car. Unbagged items placed into a car will result in an infested car. With bagged items, even a passing cloud or shadow will make the temps drop drastically, it is an all day project that you must constantly monitor with numerous thermometers if you want to attempt it.

12. klopi

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 16 2011 18:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I should have been clearer; my point is that while there are some hot-spots in the car (such as the dash), there are plenty of areas that never get hot enough (like the floor or under the seats).

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 16 2011 19:36:45
    #

Login to Send PM

buggedmama - 3 years ago  » 
    Your wooden table and chairs can be washed with Murphy's wood soap, sprayed with pesticide, or DE, or a combination of the three.

If your table comes apart, you may be able to do a more comprehensive inspection.

Murphy's and other soaps (contact killers) will only kill the bugs you drench directly. You can see these and wipe them off anyway. Contact killers are ineffective against eggs. They have no effect on bugs that later out of hiding and crawl over a surface.
    Pesticides must be used in accordance with instructions and are generally ineffective against eggs.
    DE should not be sprayed "all over". It's to be applied sparingly in cracks and crevices where it will not be disturbed. Respiratory protection should be worn during application.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  14. jsmith85249

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Sep 16 2011 20:11:43
    #

Login to Send PM

What do you think about Arizona heat? If the outside temperature is 112 do you think that would be sufficient to kill any BBs in the car? I've not tested it but the temperature in the car rises to well above 120 regularly. I'm worried that when I left the infested room I took my suitcases and put them into the van for a two hour drive. Plenty of time for any number of hitchhiking BBs to jump off of the suitcases and into the car. If the heat hasn't killed them (assuming there are some in there) what do you recommend as treatment?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,416 posts in 48,817 topics over 151 months by 21,435 of 21,838 members. Latest: dc8184, bedbugtoronto, stinson