Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Does anything else bite this way?

(6 posts)
  1. orange

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed May 19 2010 15:08:18
    #

Login to Send PM

A week ago (when we lived in a different appartment), my fiance woke up with 3 or 4 (two distinct + 1 or 2 smudged) closely situated bites on his ankle. They were itchy. Upon close inspection, they appeared to have two puncture marks (just two marks for the whole area).

The next day, we had to move into our new appartment. Since then I got one stand-alone mosquito-looking bite when laying in bed one morning, it was on my neck, looked and felt a lot like something I've had once or twice throughout the last ten years - so i thought it was a spider, or a mosquito.

Nevertheless, I am sleeping in plastic chairs in the kitchen, freaking out, feeling itchy all over, stressed, the whole hoopla.. Worried about bed bugs.

Could anything else have bitten my fiance a week ago? The bites looked a lot like the ones on this forum. But then again - only 3-4, on the ankle, and never repeated for a week after.

Wondering if I should get K9 in. My family (and even I) thinks I am paranoid. Please help.

2. Jenn28

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed May 19 2010 16:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Orange,

Yes, get a K-9, it will tell you what you need to know. Even though dogs, like humans, aren't 100% accurate, it will put your mind at rest. It sounds like if it is bb's that you've caught it very early. Good luck, I hope the results of the dog are what you're hoping for.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed May 19 2010 17:46:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Plenty of things besides bed bugs cause insect bites or bite like responses.

There's nothing about your story that says bed bugs conclusively to me.

Bites clustered on or around the ankle can absolutely be fleas (which yes, you can have in your home even if you don't have pets).

Rogue mosquitos are also a possibility.

Carpet beetles (which yes, you can have even if you don't have carpet) can cause bite like responses even though they themselves don't bite.

And, if I learned anything about bed bugs, it's that bug bites do not immediately flare up after being bitten. We know that the reaction to a bed bug bite can take 9 days or so to show up, so the bites that you think you got while in your home might have happened elsewhere.

Hiring a good K9 detection team is one way to rule out bed bugs, but you must hire a good dog- handler team, and, unfortunately, not all teams are good.

If you opt to hire a dog-handler team make sure that the handler will confirm any alerts by the dog by performing his or her own human visual inspection afterwards. We're hearing an uptick on these boards in people who hire non-reputable teams in which the dog alerts but the handler doesn't confirm, and then the stressed out sufferer treats for "bed bugs" only to later find that he or she didn't have bed bugs at all. Of course, the sufferer in question has not only spent money on treatment at that point, but also has a pretty high level of anxiety because he or she is continuing to get "bitten" by bed bugs when, in fact, he or she is reacting to some other pest that the bed bug treatment isn't addressing.

As good as a good dog/handler team is a good pest management professional with lots of experience dealing with bed bugs. A good PMP with bed bug experience understands the behavior of these pests and can perform a good inspection to see if you've got signs of bed bugs. If you're early in the infestation, signs can be hard to detect, but it's a rare case indeed that doesn't eventually have tell tale signs.

If you haven't read the FAQs over in the FAQ section, I'd suggest spending some time there before shelling out money for either a PMP or a dog/handler team, as you want to choose a quality professional either way.

I would say you could give it a week more to see if anything new develops before rushing to that step, but it sounds like your anxiety level is already pretty high, in which case it's likely nothing I say is going to make you feel much better until you get an expert in to look at your situation. However, I cannot stress enough--hire the right professional the first time and you'll save yourself a lot of stress, sleep deprivation, anxiety, grief, and money.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed May 19 2010 18:31:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Forget the dogs!!! The press needs to stop!

I just left a place where a K9 said they had bed bugs but after my inspection I couldn't find anything. They don't have bed bugs.

Second stop - A place where another dog said they didn't have bed bugs .. and it took all of 12 seconds to find fecal traces from bed bugs. This was after the handler first did a visual inspection himself ... found nothing - then his dog found nothing. They are scheduled for treatment Sunday.

Look at pictures of fecal stains, immature and adult bugs, shed skins, and eggs .. and go on a hunt ... or pay a true professional to visually inspect your place. Hunt like a crazy person for 2 hours.

These dog teams make me sick! Good luck!

5. orange

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu May 20 2010 11:20:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your responses! 7th night without a bite has passed. But I guess it doesn't mean much in the BB world.

I've decided to call a dog in, and now deciding between a big known pest control company with a couple of dogs and an independent one dog-one handler team (he doesn't treat).

At the big company I talked to a receptionist, who confirmed visual inspection, and said their dog has never been wrong (which I find hard to believe).

At the independent sniffer dog service, I talked to the owner, who also confirmed visual inspection, sounded very knowledgeable, walked me through the procedure and said his dog has been trained by Bill Whitstine at Florida Canine Academy and certified by IFEDCA.

Here are their websites:

http://www.ecopest.ca/k9unit.html
    http://www.snifferinc.com/index.html

Thanks for your advice.

6. orange

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu May 20 2010 11:27:06
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen, I just moved 7 days ago, and the bite happened before the move. Most of my stuff is still in boxes, and the rest of it has been carefully inspected as it was taken out and placed on its shelves.

I inspect the corners of my bed (under the sheet and under the mattress cover) morning and night. Yesterday I found out from this website that it's not a good idea to stop sleeping in my bed, so last night both me and my fiance slept in our bed. I woke up every few hours to check the white sheets and pillows (couldn't help it). We have no clocks, no picture frames up yet, just bed and mostly empty furniture standing around. I've seen nothing.

The problem is though, if only one person got one bite a week ago, we could have one bedbug! Calling the dog in will give me a second opinion.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07