Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Does anyone have a success story about having successfully gotten rid of them?

(13 posts)
  1. ohbugger

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 21:44:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The more I read on here the more I get freaked out - as it seems like nobody has gotten rid of these buggers.

Does anyone have any success stories? PCOs whose treatments have worked. It would be helpful to hear what DID work and how you got rid of them and also comforting too.

Thanks.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 21:53:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still a little hesitant to say for 100% sure I'm totally rid of them (only because it was just last weekend that I brought the DVDs and CDs that had been stored in bins outside during the thermal treatment. Granted, those bins were sealed up for 8 months, the last two weeks of which they had DDVP strips in them, but still, I don't want to jinx myself).

However, unless I've reintroduced the bugs from the bins of items that weren't in the house during treatment, then, yes, I beat them with a single thermal treatment at the end of June in 2008. I have seen no signs of bed bug activity in the house at any time since then.

(I did have a scare in August when I had what I'm 90% sure are bed bug bites on my leg, but the PCO came out and inspected and found nothing. I'm pretty sure that I got bitten by bed bugs at a movie theater I hadn't been to before and haven't been back to since.)

Do remember that what you see at the boards is a classic example of what social scientists call sample selection bias. You're going to have a greater percentage of people with really intractable bed bug problems--the ones that are really hard to get rid of and seem to go on forever--on these boards because those are the people who are seeking help in the middle of the worst of it. Most people who get a rather simple infestation and get rid of it with one ore two treatments don't stick around on the boards. People with tough infestations haven't necessarily done anything wrong; they're just unlucky or at the mercy of people who aren't taking the issue seriously. A number of long term sufferers here, for example, live in multi-unit housing and live next to a neighbor who won't let the PCOs in to inspect or treat, or they have landlords who aren't hiring experienced PCOs and are therefore stuck with less than effective treatment.

If you haven't already, you might want to take a look specifically at the stories in the success story forum. I found them to be really encouraging reading when I began to despair.

And, although it doesn't feel like it now, it absolutely will get better. People told me that when I first got here, and I totally didn't believe them, but to my amazement it totally did. Hang in there.

3. ohbugger

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 21:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggyinsocial,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. My PCO says I prepped well but I am so paranoid that one little egg has survived and I will be in a vicious cycle.

I've been trying to do my best to keep everything in bags. I'm between treatments 1 & 2 but I've been lazy about putting my coat or purse in a bag when I get home (I put them on a metal railing).

I've heard that they don't like bathrooms or kitchens so I've been a bit lax in the bathroom (where all my bags are stored) - leaving one item out for a day or not sealing the bags all the way. Then I read that someone saw one crawling up her bathroom wall. I have to assume that these were the extreme and biased cases to which you were referring - otherwise, it may seriously drive me mad.

Thanks again

4. KellyAnne

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 0:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, I found one in my bathroom. Mind you, I jumped out of bed at 6am thinking I felt something crawling on my leg...when I got to the bathroom I took my pants off, turned them inside out and shook them. I didn't see anything at the time so I just put my pants back on and went back to bed. When I got up at 9am, I found one sitting on the floor where the bathtub meets the floor. If you are leaving your bagged stuff in the bathroom, I've heard you should be putting it in the bathtub as they have a hard time crawling up the surface of the tub.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 0:56:26
    #

Login to Send PM

You can see posts tagged success stories or success by clicking those tags above (or in this sentence!)

Also, there's the blog success stories page.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 10:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

ohbugger, I know that feeling! I wrote a post similar to yours when I was several weeks into my nightmare. Nobugs kindly told me that their are many successes, but that when the people are successful, they often forget to write about that. I know I have seen many people come and go since I joined the board, so I"m assuming that their treatments did work.
    Am I clear of the nasty buggers? Not sure, but I think so. There are no signs and there are no bed bug ddogs in my state to check for sure. It has been over 3months here and no signs of anything. I did my thorough check yesterday (I thoroughly check out the bedrooms on 1st day of month) and I found nothing. I had my super magnifying glass, high powered flash light, and lots of crawling, disassembling things and still found nothing. So I can say I am doing pretty good at the moment.
    I'm sure in a few treatments behind you that you will be doing much much much better than you are now and hopefully will be seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there, it does indeed get better.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 15:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

In the depths of the BB war it does get pretty bleak but you can and will win then life gets back to normal.

We are going on 9 months of freedom but I hang out for support to the newbites.

Jim

8. ohbugger

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 20:28:50
    #

Login to Send PM

BItten and Jim,

Thanks so much for your support - I appreciate it and it makes me feel better. It's just amazing how this takes over your life and changes you probably forever. Thanks Jim for sticking around for newbies like me. You're doing a good deed. I am actually being a real loudmouth about this and telling everyone I know so they can be prepared and help prevent it as much as possible.

9. buggy_eastharlem

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 9:24:31
    #

Login to Send PM

buggyinsocal -or they have landlords who aren't hiring experienced PCOs and are therefore stuck with less than effective treatment.

And how! If I could get rid of the bed bugs AND the landlord in one fell-swoop I'd be ecstatic.

10. Apparitionz

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 10 2012 10:40:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello All,

I have a story to tell also.......

My son started this new school which I was sooo happy about. After a few days he started coming home with bites on his legs then the next week was his arms and legs. It looked like mosquito or ants bites, sometimes it was so bad it looked almost like he stepped into an ants nest. I took him to the doctor and of course my worse nightmare and fear in the world...it was bed bug bites. I was a bit in denial because he was the only person getting bite so i hoped and prayed that nothing was in our home.
    Of course i was wrong, when i pulled off his bed sheets they were already in the mattress covers. I almost had a nervous breakdown, just seeing them. I cleared out his bed and bagged as much as i could to wash and dry. checked my bed nothing, thank god my boxing is wrapped in saran wrap (but i did find a few dead ones on the boxing, guess they didnt make it). I immediately took him out of that school.
    Eventually, i started getting bites on my arm on my sofa, then it was in my clothes, then i started seeing them walking on my shirt bright lights, which was really odd.

I began researching on bedbugs and how to get rid of them. I have read and read and researched everything i can about finding them, looking for signs, what they look like, everything i could find on them. I definitely could not afford over $1000 for a professional and I have a young child in the home to think about.

In hopes of purchasing something over the counter which can be more affordable to me i started researching these types of products. I bought those over the counter sprays in hopes that it would help. I eventually found a product called "Cedarcide". there were many reviews on this product and I must say that they were both positive and negative. It was so hard to decide whether it was the real thing or not so i bought it any way.

I spent almost $200 in preventative items. Bought climb up cups for the feet of the bed and sofa, mattress covers, sprays and of course "cedarcide".
    I cleaned and sprayed every other day and I must say, there has not been one single bed bug or bite since. I cannot vouch for Cedarcide killing bed bugs because i have not seen any to kill, but i can tell you that i feel so much safer. My son has not gotten one bite since neither has anyone else. I still spray once a week just in case.

I wondered if the smell repelled them from the area or whatever it does. Im just so happy that i bought it. Needed the cheapest way and fastest shipping so i bought it off Amazon along with the rest of the stuff. I also keep my beds away from the walls along with other preventative measures which i researched and read. I check every day in the cups at the foot of the beds and sofas and....NOTHING.

Maybe this does not work for everyone, maybe I did not have alot and managed to have caught it in time before it got out of hand or just maybe this Cedarcide really works???

11. kinihatesbedbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 10 2012 12:32:24
    #

Login to Send PM

My success story is posted under

Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums ยป Bed Bug Success Stories

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/assistance-needed-bug-id-needed

I update weekly my progress. Currently 67 days bed bug free.

12. feelinghelplesswith3 babies

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Oct 10 2012 14:33:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Well ill keep my story short and sweet. Yes I beat them with 3 treatments and all my hard work. I had a 3-4 infestation and it seemed like it'd never end bit after the 3rd treatment I didn't see them . I even had a 4th one to be sure. My dad who brought them had a 7-8 level in his unit. And I'm not sure if they're completely gone from there because the place was empty for 3 months which they went dormant so when we moved a new tenant in a week after she'd been there she found a half dead one making his way to her bedroom. So we layed diatomacious earth all over her place with precautions of course and she has yet to see one . But my unit and upstairs neighbor also had a successful story. Don't loose hope it seems like you can't beat them but you can you have to be on top of it. That's all. Take care

13. GrossedOutInAustin

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2012 19:35:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's a link to my success story: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/a-success-story

I went through 1 heat treatment + 6 spray treatments from April - late June. I moved in early July, and have been bug free since.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982