Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Does alcohol or steam cleaning negate the affects of pesticide?

(5 posts)
  1. Steve_BK

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 12:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

TL:DR: We have had our first treatment, but will alcohol or steam cleaning negate the affects of pesticide?

Hello all,

Firstly, I'd like to thank everyone for insightful contributions and the wealth of information and shared experiences. It has been very affirming and encouraging.

We recently had our first treatment where the PCO used a combination pesticide spray (he wasn't able to specify what exactly). We live in a 3 bedroom in Brooklyn, with the bedrooms in a row all sharing a wall. The middle room had the most, with a moderate infestation in the mattress and frame. A canine inspector did not find any in one room, and only traces in a bed frame on another.

After the treatment, I trashed the headboard where I noticed some fecal matter and eggs. And my middle roomate, has noticed around 5 or so live bedbugs since the treatment. In a frenzy he's proceeded to rub everything down with alcohol and is considering steam to take care of any live ones. Will this negate any affects of the pesticides used? As in will it rub it off, or anything?

-- on a side note, we were able to put all clothing in bags, but not everything was sealed.. will this be a detriment later?

2. Frauleinash

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 13:38:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but I have been reading a ridiculous amount of material on this subject (bedbugs), and from what I've read, PCO's ask you to NOT steam or apply any other treatments after they've sprayed your home because of the risk of rendering their treatments useless. That being said, I have no idea what specific treatment they used. I would call them and ask them if it's OK to do that, they should be able to tell you over the phone. ☺️

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 14:03:34
    #

Login to Send PM

We recently had our first treatment where the PCO used a combination pesticide spray (he wasn't able to specify what exactly). We live in a 3 bedroom in Brooklyn

The PCO has to leave a slip with the customer stating what was applied and where. You have a right to ask to see this if the management or landlord hired the PCO. Also, in NY, the landlord has to hire a licensed pesticide applicator. (That was probably the case here, but is worth mentioning.)

Alcohol or steam may wash away the residual chemicals which were applied. Don't do it. If you want to supplement by steaming, ask the PCO first if it's okay and where to do it and when. Alcohol only kills bed bugs you see and hit directly, so most people using it in the manner described are just making their homes more flammable.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Steve_BK

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 15:24:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah all good things to know. thanks for all the info.

The company our landlord used was called Target (http://www.ridgewoodpestcontrol.com/) Honestly, I can't speak to how thorough they were. Their phone support has been moderately good, however the PCO that came out wasn't very helpful in explaining next steps, or what was in the chemical. We'll have to wait to see for the next treatment.

When asked about vacuuming and mopping, they advised to wait at least 72hrs, however since my roomate has already sprayed with alcohol i'm wondering if it is already too late.

Battling on

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Oct 21 2016 20:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

If they applied dusts then even vacuuming after 72 hours would be a problem in those areas. Likewise steam or mopping in residual pesticide treated areas. They may not have been thinking of the treated areas. Treatment isn't over in 72 hours so it doesn't make sense that you'd remove the pesticides then.

Talk to the tech who comes next time and make sure the roommate stops with the alcohol. Truly, it's probably not helping at all and may be sabotaging treatment.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs