Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug science, "experiments," etc.

Does age of dwelling matter?

(3 posts)
  1. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 30 2011 13:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I've seen a few posts where people imply that BB are to be expected in older buildings (or as one poster wrote "beyond their useful life"). I've also seen people imply that newer or renovated buildings are less likely to have an infestation. (At the same time, I've seen people deny infestations "because the building is X years old and has never had BB before".)

Does age of the building matter when it comes to susceptibility to infestation. If so (or not so), what are the contributing factors?

Thanks.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  2. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 1 2011 10:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

My home was built in 1927 and is full of cracks. Cracks around the windows, cracks in the plaster ceiling, cracks in the walls, gaps in the floor boards, etc. That said, I think we brought the bed bugs in and gave them all kinds of great hiding places.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Apr 1 2011 12:21:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Its one of those technically no but it can have an impact on how bad things can get. To explain in more detail:

Bedbugs cant possibly know anything about your home when you bring them in from hotel / hospital / work / car / bus / train / cruise / holiday / school / theater / restaurant / bar .... (continue list till it mentions all locations other than your home) so by definition it is the contact with the bedbugs that brings them into your home and nothing to do with the home.

The condition of the home and the level before detection can have an impact. The longer an infestation goes without being detected the greater the chance that it will spread away from the initial location (as close to you as is feasible). This any cracks, crevices and gaps become potential refugia for bedbugs.

Thus the state of the home and the style of the home can have a direct impact on how bad things get if not detected quickly but not on how they get introduced int he first place.

The exception in theory is in situations where adjoining neighbours exist and once a situation gets out of control with them the more gaps in the fabric of the building the easier travel between units is. I have been re reading old literature this last few days and picked up on some comments about vertical spread of infestations in converted buildings which is more common than side to side spread. A lot of this data related to late Victorian building which is obviously different to modern concrete structures but it again comes down to good communication of the issue and awareness.

I hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,483 posts in 49,273 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk