Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

do your bites look like bruises?

(21 posts)
  1. goingcrazy

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 9 2007 1:37:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still trying to determine whether or not I have bedbugs. I've been looking at some of my old bites and noticing that they look slightly purple and even hurt to the touch a bit. This isn't all of my old bites, only some of them.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Also, really random, but I just found a bite on my earlobe. Anybody ever get one there before?

Thanks!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 9 2007 2:27:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure about the bruising.

Ears: yes, lots of Bedbuggers experience this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 9 2007 9:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

As for the ear lobe, yes, I was bitten there. I also once got a bedbug bite inside my ear. That was very itchy.

Almost none of my bites bruised. I have one bite on my shin that left discolored purple circle about the size of a quarter that I can still see. But that was the exception. If the other bites bruised, and again most didn't, the spots were small, like tiny feathery asterisks drawn by a pale, purple-gray felt tipped pen.

In general I found that most of the marks and discolorations made by the bedbug bites faded over time except for a rew. My skin shows everything and is very pale.

4. Beatrice

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 9 2007 13:04:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Most of my bites turned either bright red of purple and left scars. I thought a mosquito had bit me on the ankle until the swelling went down and I noticed that there were two little dots left that looked like all my other bedbug bites.

5. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Oct 9 2007 15:11:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to say that many of my bites get tiny scabs. If I scratch the scabs off (that's a no-no, but sometimes I can't resist), they come back bigger.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Oct 10 2007 1:11:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Scabs are also common.

7. bummedindenver

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2007 14:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, this may be WAY off base, but I'm curious, are any of these bruise-like bites on your knees, chins or feet? And are you female?

If this seems like a totally crazy question, let me explain. Many years ago, I had what I thought were bug bites on my chins and then feet. They were red and swollen, and at first really looked like bug bites. But then they got quite tender and painful.

I eventually saw a dermatologist who diagnosed erythema nodosum, a condition fairly common in young women.

Just a thought....

8. bummedindenver

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2007 14:44:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant SHINS, not chins.....duhhhh. typing too fast.

9. goingcrazy

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2007 19:02:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, one area by my ankle looks like a minor bruise. The other bruise-type bites are on the side of my hand. I am female. However, most of my bites don't look like bruises.

Thanks a lot - I'll look into it!

10. bummedindenver

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 13:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, apparently erythema nodosum can show up on hands too. I think it is most common knees and below, and mine were only from my knees to my feet.

It just struck me that I first thought they were bites. It was just a thought.

Oh, and just so you know, I wouldn't trust a general practitioner to recognize it. I first went to my regular doctor who said I had infected cysts and put me on antibiotics. The antibiotics did nothing, so he sent me to the dermatologist. Derm took one look and in an instant diagnosed it.

Good luck.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 15:11:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Some people get bruises when they have blood drawn. Could this be related to bruising being caused by bites?

12. goingcrazy

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 16:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, it's not erythema nodosum, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure the bruises are caused by the bites, I've just never experienced that before.

13. BlueCanary

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Oct 14 2007 14:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I've found that too. It only happens with a couple, though. I had one on my leg that bruised badly enough that I was sure it was some sort of infection from a spider bite. I went so far as going to the pharmacy just to make sure. I'm still not sure if they were bed bug bites or if spiders had decided to taste me as well.

14. OntheEdge

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 10:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

most all of my bites look like bruises, but that is because I have an enlarged spleen and my blood does not clot like a normal persons. I have some that look like the tiny red dots and some that are white and look like blisters.

15. bumpsinthenight

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 23:35:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Most of my bites were red and very swollen (raised and hard to the touch). I had one bite on my thigh that swelled to a huge circle (most of my thigh). That one left a purple bruise. I have very sensitive skin and bruise easily.

16. bedbugsenigma

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Feb 9 2008 23:47:19
    #

Login to Send PM

More than bruises I'd say that some of mine, when they're done with the swelling, become dark red marks. They're flat, small, dark red marks. I don't scratch myself at all (use anti-itch unguent), so these are not scarf. Don't know what they are and hope they will fade with time.

17. annanicolaou

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2008 22:59:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had a weird kind of reaction to the bites as well. I have been getting bitten on and off since November. I can tell when I get a fresh bite - there is usually a sharp pain and sometimes some kind of swelling. I have also had a few bites that are simply little red bumps. I have been treated 2x and have not seen any more of the little red ones or the "new" painful ones. However, I still have pains all over my body that feel exactly like bruises. The thing is, only a few of these spots actually LOOKED like bruises. Most of my body shows no sign of anything, even though I have these painful spots all over. I had some bloodwork done by a doctor and it all came back negative. I also have gone to a dermoatologist who was unsure of what it could be, waiting for the biopsy results. I am comforted to hear that others have this bruise-like symptom though, as my exterminators were concerned about this and said they had never heard of it before. People keep telling me I am crazy and just imagining these pains, but as much as I would like this to be true, I can't ignore the feelings. Hopefully the biopsy will find a solution to this all. I also am confused because I literally have had these pains in my body for 2+months, and I am fairly certain that I am not actually getting any new bites. Hopefully it will just fade away in the long term...?

18. bedbugsenigma

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 10 2008 23:07:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you'll find the source of that pain, annanicolaou. 2+ months sounds like a long time! Keep us posted and good luck!

19. bugaphobic

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Apr 30 2008 8:23:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Count me in on the bruises. I was getting a shower & found what looked to me to be 3 bites on the inside of my upper thigh, I scratched them for a couple seconds hard. (I know....probably shouldn't have) but they stopped itching & that was that....until the next day when the area that I scratched was completely bruised all along where the bites were. I honestly didn't scratch THAT hard....it looks like I fell or something. (Very black bruising) I thought this was WAY weird!

20. MixedFeelings

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Apr 30 2008 12:04:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Usually I just get the tiny, tiny pin-prick marks. But one bite on my chest *did* leave a bruise. The bruise was about the size of a small thumbprint, with the usual pin-prick in the center. But that is not usually the case for me.

MF

21. Battle of the Bugs

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 2 2008 7:46:10
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I understand, bite descriptions vary greatly among individuals and can not really be compared. They don't even show up on some people because they don't have a reaction to them. I would say mine are a combination of bedbugsenigma's and bumpsinthenight(love than handle): raised, swollen, red, painful, hard when fresh and stay that way for at least 2 weeks. Then eventually fade to purple. I'm looking at some on my arm now that are about a month old, the scars take a long time to totally disappear (I suppose, not unlike the emotional scars bed bugs leave behind). Mine also have the pin prick as described by Mixedfeelings.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ... Oh yeah Sherlock? But you've never had bed bugs!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982