Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Do you think it's better to throw out my bed?

(7 posts)
  1. Bedbugg

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 18 2017 19:56:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I had my second treatment last week and my PCO left the climb up interceptors underneath my bed and is coming back in 2 weeks for an inspection to see whether I need a third treatment or not.

After the second treatment, I'm still getting bites but there was no bugs in the interceptor when I checked. And this morning I found a tiny nymph full of blood on my bed. There was no bug in the interceptor and I checked my bed but nothing.

Is it possible the interceptor is not working at all? Or could it be the bugs living in my bed somewhere where I can't reach it?

I feel like I should throw out my bed after seeing bed bugs even though I have a climb up interceptor under my bed. Do you think throwing out my bed and getting a new one is a good idea?

2. Pattycake

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 18 2017 20:17:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you wash your sheets and dry your pillows on high heat in the dryer? Was your bed treated? Are your mattress and box springs encased?

3. Bedbugg

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 18 2017 20:22:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I did encase my mattress after the first treatment and I only have blankets on my bed right now which I wash and dry in high heat twice a week. I'm pretty sure that the PCO treated my bed and mattress.
    I was not getting bites for few days after the treatment but after few days I was getting bitten again. So I'm assuming that the interceptor did not work or they hid somewhere in my bed where the treatment did not reach them

4. thirdusername

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 18 2017 22:01:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe one travelled on you on to the bed.
    I bought interceptors for my 6 bed legs and they were not cheap.
    I don't know if I'd buy them again but if I didn't have bugs, I'd buy the passive monitor.
    Do you keep your interceptors clean?
    I bought talcless ones without realizing they need to be kept clean.
    There is no way I can clean 6 regularly.

I bought a new bed frame and mattress but I couldn't lift my old ones.
    I don't think you should if the only reason is you have bed bugs.
    I definitely wouldn't do it after just one treatment.

You didn't say a boxspring, do you have a platform bed?
    You also didn't mention your pillow, that is a harborage site so dry it with your other bedding.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  5. Myworstnightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 18 2017 22:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I can only speak from my own experience. After three treatments I was still getting bites. My pco originally told me I did not need to get rid of the beds (daughters share a room which I started sleeping in as it was ground zero) the beds were corner headboards that had sewn in cushions - lots of fabric. I believed the bugs were living in there and not being exposed to the chemical. When I was still getting bitten after three treatments- for what was a mild infestation to begin with- my pco said I was free to remove the beds for my own peace of mind. I couldn’t get those bad boys out fast enough. I paid a company to wrap and remove them. After that I found one more bug - a nymph that had made a home in a curtain that had been touching the bed. Killed it and have been bug free since- 95 days. No bites (we are strong reactors) no signs and cleared by a dog. I think every situation is different and I know the pco goal is to not create the additional expense - in my case 350 to have the beds (safely) removed then the cost of replacement- but at that point I’d have paid anything to get my sanity back. I wish you luck.

6. Help please

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 19 2017 2:12:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Myworstnightmare! Glad to hear u have been bugs free for so long and hope you wont have to deal with it again. My question is, how long did it take you to notice that you have an infestation? What evidence did you find? And did you use any monitors?

7. Myworstnightmare

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Dec 19 2017 17:29:04
    #

Login to Send PM

My daughter was getting bit for three weeks. It was summer so I assumed mosquitos (won’t make that mistake again) We went on vacation for a week - no more bites and her others healed. We got back from vacation very late at night. I laid down with her and got bit. I stayed up all night with a flashlight and caught one. I knew zero about bed bugs at that point. When the pco came to inspect he found one fecal mark on that bed frame one shed skin in the mattress piping and one live bug. Got the first treatment three days later.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982