Do you think I have bed bugs?

(3 posts)
  1. Worriedbuthopeful

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 21 2018 13:26:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Over the past 9 months I have seen 4 bugs in my bed, but I can't seem to find a nest or shedding or excrement anywhere now.

I used to work in a supported living home where a resident had beg bugs almost 2 years ago. They had exterminators in and after a small fortune they were gone. I stopped working there over a year ago but have always worried about the bugs and bringing them home.

Around 9 months ago I saw 1 bug on the wall beside the bed, so like anyone else I started searching for any signs of more, washing everything at high temperatures, bought air tight covers for mattress and pillows. I found one more on the bed but that was all. I cleaned everywhere around the bed and in any boxes under the bed. I have a metal bed frame so I couldn't find any signs on there. I found some black spots at the head of my mattress which shows they may be in the mattress, but the cover I got is air tight (I hadn't let all the air out when closing it at first and it had a great big air bubble which wouldn't go down with pressure so no air was leaking out).

I didn't see anything for about 4 months after this, but then I saw 1 (5 months ago now) and another one a month later (4 months ago now). It has now been 4 months since I've seen one and I still can't find any signs of a nest. I keep washing bedding on high, cleaning around the room and searching. I've lost so much sleep over this.

Here's the confusing thing about all this - I'm not sure if the live adults crawled in from next door but didn't have time to nest before I found them?
    Because of the shape of my room the bed is against the wall which has an electrical plug socket around mattress height. Around 4 months ago (the day after I saw the last one) I realised there was a large crack in the wall above the plug socket and quite a big hole because of this (I don't use this socket and didn't check before). I filled the crack and hole and I haven't seen any bugs since. The walls here are very thin, you can hear people talking/sneezing/coughing easily. Could it be possible that 4 live ones managed to crawl through the hole in the wall and not make a nest?

Sorry for a very long post! And thank you for your help

2. SalsaVince

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 21 2018 16:56:09
    #

Login to Send PM

The most significant part of your story that caught my attention was that you said it's been 4 months since you've seen any bug? Have you also not gotten any bites in the past 4 months? If so, then I don't think you need to be worried about some hidden bed bug infestation. As many have said on here, after that much time without any visible signs, you're safe. There would be thousands of them after 9 months without any treatment.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. Worriedbuthopeful

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Nov 21 2018 17:15:50
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 12 minutes ago  » 
    The most significant part of your story that caught my attention was that you said it's been 4 months since you've seen any bug? Have you also not gotten any bites in the past 4 months? If so, then I don't think you need to be worried about some hidden bed bug infestation. As many have said on here, after that much time without any visible signs, you're safe. There would be thousands of them after 9 months without any treatment.

My boyfriend and I haven't seen any bites - but I have eczema so I do get red patches at times, although I do worry that it's bites and not eczema. He thinks I'm being a bit paranoid (although he understands) but I just don't understand how I could see 4 bugs without there being a larger problem. I did read somewhere that they can get through cracks in the wall where there are electrical sockets so I live in hope that only those 4 crawled through (if that is possible).

Thank you for putting my mind at rest a little, I never know how long is long enough to be safe

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,228 posts in 50,143 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,416 members. Latest: Bery10, plsnopls, Ldrago