Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Do you know where you brought your bedbugs home from?

(43 posts)
  1. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 13:49:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The media says that taxis, luggage, hotels, hospitals, movie theaters etc are hot spots for bed bugs. I also read about how people are afraid to sit on public transportation because the seats are made of fabric. I also read about how people are apprehensive about the coming winter and outerwear. Also, people talk about the fear of brushing up against someone and having a bedbug transferred onto their clothing.

Now, how many of the people who have confirmed bedbug infestations have actually gotten them from sitting on public transportation, or brushing up against someone? I know that it's hard to actually pinpoint where the guy hitched a ride from you and it's only an educated guess, like if you were travelling etc. But i'm curious as to where you THINK you may have encountered your foe.

Thanks for anyone that will participate in this survey.

2. Bed Bug Epidemic

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 13:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

i really am not sure!

Moving truck maybe.
    My mom has a theory that one of my son's brought one home in their bookbags.

Lauren

3. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 15:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm pretty sure ours came from a hotel stay in Mexico,in early April. Daughter's bites started showing up in late June. Does that timeline fit? If not, she sorted out used clothing for a rummage sale in early June.

4. jonathap

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 16:07:36
    #

Login to Send PM

First theory: Camping trip. Borrowed a sleeping bag and shared a tent with a bunch of other people, though to my knowledge none of them have had problems.

Second theory: Laundromat up the street. I USED to fold my clean laundry on the countertops there. Never again.

5. Out Of Options

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 16:19:01
    #

Login to Send PM

We had gotten them from moving my sister out of her house that had bed bugs that had gotten the bed bugs from the neighbors... and we don't know where the neighbors got them from.

I take a hot shower and wear clean clothes every morning before going out just for this reason. I do not want to be the reason someone else got bed bugs.

6. kirads09

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 16:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

First (and most likely I think) theory: I got them from the neighbor directly below me. She had an infestation (confirmed because I emailed with her after all this), broke her lease and moved out, and they came up for a visit. Think it was just a few stragglers. Saw 3 live bugs in all and that was right about the time she vacated. DE and caulking/sealing helped the most.

Second theory my sister came for a visit and was in my apartment for a few hours. She is from New York and was staying in a hotel in our home town about 70 miles south. She had a couple bites on her hand but swears they were from something else.

Third theory: I had a new sofa sleeper ordered and delivered just prior to me discovering the problem. It is quite possible it had them already from the delivery truck. The plastic on the mattress was open and torn on one corner. I ended up having it hauled away - was too difficult to try and keep treated.

7. tallgreg233

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 17:05:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have three theories for where I might have acquired them.

1. A girl whom I was dating was staying in a fleabag motel and I would go visit her (no, not that kind of girl, she was having a rough time). Very easily could have gotten them there. But the timeline does not fit exactly. Is it possible I could have gone 6 months without seeing a thing? I don't react so I guess it is.

2. A girl whom I went to visit at her place. It's possible I could have acquired them there. The next time I saw her (after my discovery and 1.5 months since the encounter above), I noticed she had the 3 bite trail on her back. Hmmm. I'm not going to ask her though in case number 1 is true.

3. From a neighbor. Where I lived there were a lot of sketchy people. People moving through a hallway, lousy insulation between apartments/floors. It's very possible a neighbor could have had them.

Really, the only thing I care about is having gotten rid of them. It really makes me mad that I had to give up a beloved couch because of these beasts. It really makes me mad that every time I lay in bed, I feel like I am itching. And it really makes me upset that I had to pay good money to get rid of them when I could have used that money on a Mac or something useful. I hate the damn things and wish some company would come up with a magic elixir to kill them to extinction this time. Or heck, let's weaponize them and...I really shouldn't go there.

8. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 17:18:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Theory 1 - from a secondhand picture.

Theory 2 - from a Comfort Inn in Virginia who is listed on BB registry.

9. Bugfreak

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 20:28:53
    #

Login to Send PM

My best guess is my husband brought them home from the gym or a movie theater.

10. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 20:37:39
    #

Login to Send PM

So far, all eight people did not get it (that we know of) from riding public transportation or brushing up against a stranger.

Let's see how the next few people think they got exposed.

11. BBQueen

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 20:48:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I got mine from a piece of used furniture I bought. (back before I knew what I know now about wood furniture harbouring the critters ...)

12. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 21:05:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure either, my theories are:

1. Movies - we were going a lot in November.
    2. Gym - I was going 3-4 times a week back then.
    3. A hotel stay in late October, but bites didn't show up until late November and no one else who stayed in the same room came home with any.
    4. My husbands work (he works in a wearhouse) and I think maybe they came from there or maybe some hitchhikers in the brand new overalls he brought home.
    5. Ikea - right around the time the bites showed up, we had just purchased a wood bedside table to match the stupid woodframed Ikea bed we have, you know the one with a MILLION hiding places!! Ugh.

It's the one part that bothers me to this day. The fact that I don't know where they came from. I feel like I don't have as much control in preventing a reinfestation because of it. I can only do the best while trying to live life "normally" like before. Nearing the 160 day bb free mark and I hope it stays that way!!!

13. controlfreak

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 22:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have a visual conf so take my hypothesis with a grain of salt but if the dog was right and we have them, there are two possibilities. Couple of months ago i had a friend who came and stayed with me after a short stay at a NYC hotel. Couple of weeks later i saw some littlw white small bugs in my study, and caught them and looked under the microscope and "ID"ed them as book lice (neck and long body and all) but who knows... I asked my friend. He said he didn't get bites at the hotel or didn't see anything since then... Second option which is more probable is my neighbors. They apparently had this for a while and we share laundry facility, also there has been construction with workers moving from one unit to the other. Again who knows... I actually don't care where they came from or if i have them or not after all the crap we have gone through and still going through. I just want a vikane company in boston who would fumigate the hell out of my moving truck.

14. prairiemystic

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 22:16:53
    #

Login to Send PM

1. The apartment next to me was heat-treated and they migrated over to my (cool) suite at the common wall.

2. The infested suite's tenant wrapped all his clothes in his bedding and dragged it through the hallways, sprinkling bugs everywhere before he put the stuff in the dumpster...

3. Wendy's restaurant/Tim Horton's has fabric upholstered booths and a BB may hang out there.

15. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 22:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I got mine from a few thousand apartments throughout Brooklyn, queens, and NYC. Clara Bell is looking at me right now in this little jar next to my Devil Dog and coffee =)

16. tallgreg233

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 23:09:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, I am the only one who thinks he got them from dating different women. Who would have thunk it? Y'all must all be married or something. Sad thing is I am more scared of getting BB's from a woman than getting some STD. How crazy is that?

17. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 8:15:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Greg, it's time to settle down. Dating just isn't what it used to be! I think you got them from girl number 2, the one who you saw with bites on her back.

18. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 8:39:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Greg, it's time to settle down. Dating just isn't what it used to be!
    --------------
    Funny you should mention this. I used to check out -- well the usual places -- when meeting a new woman, but now I very carefully scan the skin for bite marks. Unfortunately, we are about the winter season that will signal high-risk dating with all the additional cover-up clothing. The phrase, "would you like to take your coat off" will now have but another hidden meaning.

Richard

19. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 12:49:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard,
    You always crack me up. btw, how's your cold? better I hope.

20. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 13:40:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I'm with TallGreg & Richard. My divorce was final just this year, and after the whole divorcing of the 6-legged critters and possessions, etc. on top of that (bad, bad, BAD timing!), while I maintain that getting naked is useful in a number of ways, that's mostly the case now only if preceded by sweet nothings like, "You know what would really turn me on? Putting each article of my clothing into a plastic bag and then tying it up! Oh, baby! Do it!" In fact, maybe the bag should come out right from the beginning. You know, think of it as dimming the lights, lighting candles, turning on the...uh...Kenny G????? (Barf).

I was thinking maybe there should be a public awareness campaign with the slogan "No Ziploc, no lip-lock." What do you think?

21. Ilovepink1908

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 15:28:22
    #

Login to Send PM

@Greg, so you were looking at her back, huh? I'm not even gonna ask

Perhaps for Greg and Richard, you two might consider "bite searching" as part of the candle lighting and Kenny G playing that The Reluctant Entomologist mentions. She'll think you're really bonding and enjoying every essence of her beauty, when you're really inspecting her bed bug evidence. Let's just hope she reacts to bites!

And personally, if my boyfriend (who isn't infested--and I'm not either, shout out to KillerQueen who is my therapist and bug expert any time I have a question) put his clothes in a plastic bag every time he came over, I'd be a lot more interested in him (he works in public assistance, so there certainly is a risk there). For a bed bug phobic, bed bug best practices= great date night for me and you...lol

22. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 15:52:24
    #

Login to Send PM

The Reluctant Entomologist - 2 hours ago  » 
    I was thinking maybe there should be a public awareness campaign with the slogan "No Ziploc, no lip-lock." What do you think?

Great slogan!!! lol.

23. tallgreg233

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 15:58:13
    #

Login to Send PM

The Reluctant Entomologist - 2 hours ago  » 
    Yeah, I'm with TallGregthere should be a public awareness campaign with the slogan "No Ziploc, no lip-lock." What do you think?

I think if you don't trademark that before I can get to the site that does trademarks, you'll be paying me for the bumper stickers and tee shirts.

Wow, y'all are quite funny when not so serious about BB's.

On girl 2 I noticed the bites while we were walking to a bar and she had on a sundress. Upper back, left shoulder. I was glad she didn't come home with me that night. But it wouldn't have mattered, that was pre-move/pre-treatment.

I was thinking, hey I'll start in the kitchen, ditch the clothes in the laundry and take IlovePink's suggestion of inspecting between the kitchen and the couch.

24. BBQueen

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 18:08:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The Reluctant Entomologist - 4 hours ago  » 
    Yeah, I'm with TallGreg & Richard. My divorce was final just this year, and after the whole divorcing of the 6-legged critters and possessions, etc. on top of that (bad, bad, BAD timing!), while I maintain that getting naked is useful in a number of ways, that's mostly the case now only if preceded by sweet nothings like, "You know what would really turn me on? Putting each article of my clothing into a plastic bag and then tying it up! Oh, baby! Do it!" In fact, maybe the bag should come out right from the beginning. You know, think of it as dimming the lights, lighting candles, turning on the...uh...Kenny G????? (Barf).

Okay, this really did make me laugh out loud. What about the mandatory bed inspection? Breaking out the flashlight en route to bed? romantic, hmmm?

25. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 15 2010 21:09:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless in NYC,

Great topic, everyone is loving it and I'm sure everyone could use a good laugh too

26. veronicalynne

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Oct 17 2010 16:30:08
    #

Login to Send PM

We got ours from our neighbours next door They knew they had them and didn't seem to think that we WOULD mind having them.

27. bugnut

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 13:54:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Yikes! Lots of funky ways to get them.

Let's see- the first time I got them I have no idea where they came from. Hubby thinks my job. Was able to get rid of the fairly easily - one treatment. Could have been movie theatre, school. Which leads to the second time we got them (exactly a year later)

Theory 1: Work. When I quit it was because they confirmed they had them AGAIN!

Theory 2: Vacation- was in the Bahamas in April found them in May. Very expensive hotel - we saved up for a while. I checked the room beforehand but it could have been the taxis or plane - who knows.

Theory 3: Cleaning out my aunt and uncles apt. They had some health care workers in there that were a bit shady.

Was harder to get rid of them this time but we seem to be OK now (5 months clear) All I know is that I am so paranoid I have some extensive protocols in place and I don't entertain anymore. Maybe in the future but I am too snake bit (bb bit?) for now.

28. done in

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 15:59:35
    #

Login to Send PM

My son was just trying to do his job. Was sent out of town and put up in a questionable motel. He spread them around before he knew what was happening. He gave them to my grand daughter. I was being a good great grandmother and went to babysit my sweet great grandson. Got home that night to some itching under my bra. Within a couple of days had a nasty row of bites. The rest is history. Never use to give restaurant seats or movie seats a second thought. Now I'm trying to figure out how to sneak rubbing alcohol in there to disinfect the place. Yeah.....it surely makes you basket case. I'm too old for dating, so do not have to check out old guys for bites. Guess there is a silver lining to every cloud.

29. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 2 2010 17:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

ha ha...Done In..don't have to check out your dates. I've often thought I'd have a much easier time with my new bb protocol if I lived alone. I can't imagine dating in times like this..."excuse me, can I inspect your bed?"

30. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 21:51:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Great way to nicely dump someone you don't like..."Sorry but I am fighting an active bedbug infestation right now... but we can still be friends!"

Got mine from my 20th anniversary stay at a bed and breakfast. First time in about 10 years of staying someplace other than home.

31. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 7 2010 23:02:32
    #

Login to Send PM

jonathap - 1 month ago  » 
    First theory: Camping trip. Borrowed a sleeping bag and shared a tent with a bunch of other people, though to my knowledge none of them have had problems.
    Second theory: Laundromat up the street. I USED to fold my clean laundry on the countertops there. Never again.

Re laundromat: Ironic. The night of my first bites was after I had done all bedding--pillows comforters etc. at a local laundromat. We have machines in the building but I wanted at the big ones. I was like WTF?

32. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 0:10:45
    #

Login to Send PM

scaredsilly - 2 hours ago  » 
    Great way to nicely dump someone you don't like..."Sorry but I am fighting an active bedbug infestation right now... but we can still be friends!"
    Got mine from my 20th anniversary stay at a bed and breakfast. First time in about 10 years of staying someplace other than home.

Oh No! Talk about romantic !!!!!!

33. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Dec 8 2010 0:51:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Nycyn:

Seriously? You got them at the laundromat? Do you think you got them from the machines or from folding your comforters on their tables?

34. AbugMess

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 9:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

We are pretty sure we got ours from my husbands trip to Montenegro. He stayed in a hotel the night before he caught his flight home and the timeline for the bites, etc. seem to fit with that.
    Anywhere else, seems my friends would have them too, and they don't.

35. MsJ

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Dec 13 2010 10:18:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Recent travels to SE Asia. Saw them at friends' but it didn't click at the time. Now at the start of our local infestation. And we thought SE Asia was going to be a cheap holiday. Ha!

36. AndroidKills

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 16:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

i got mine from a friend who never told me he had them. what a B!tch

37. AndroidKills

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Dec 16 2010 16:10:51
    #

Login to Send PM

AndroidKills - 8 seconds ago  » 
    i got mine from a friend who never told me he had them. what a B!tch

shared lockers with him for a week or so. thats when my life today is going downhill in terms of home.

38. healthimpacted

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 16:51:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not sure how I got them. Traveling, movie theater, or having friends over (yes, I told them/told them to inspect and to check out bedbugger.com for info).

As for dating...Hey baby, your packtite or mine.

39. healthimpacted

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 17:02:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure where I got mine...traveling, movies, or having friends over (I told them and sent them to this site to learn how to inspect).

As for dating...Hey baby, your packtite or mine?

40. sluggums

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 20:26:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I might have gotten them from the bus, the infamous B61! Last summer I distinctly remember sitting on a fabric seat, after a couple of stops the back of my naked arm started to itch, and there were a few bumps in a row...felt slightly nervous about it at the time, but thought, "nah. I'm being paranoid".

The second possibility is the moving van, rented, that my movers used when I moved in here.

Third possibility: next door neighbors {house next door} who put out a total of 4 feces stained, unwrapped mattresses right next to our stoop for the poor garbage men to cart away.

Fourth possibility: second floor {apt above me} deadbeats who refused to let the K9 in for inspection, two weeks before they moved, insisting they didn't have them. The dog looked at their door and sat down. Handler said that was the sign.

All four possibilities fit my timeline.

Reading all this, it's no wonder I got them, probably from more than one source!

41. NeedAValidUserName

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 20:41:52
    #

Login to Send PM

All of us who live in NYC are simply screwed. :-/ Can't get away from the things.

42. heritchyness

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 1 2011 23:08:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Philly is right behind yous guys I can't believe more people I know haven't had them. Yet. I think people don't worry about them until they have had them and then life is never the same. We don't know where ours came from. My hubby had his work checked out and they got a k9 all clear. I am working on my job site. I think that's where ours came from. Either that or SEPTA. Or the neighbors. Or the outfit a friend gave to my daughter. Who knows. Our PCO told me we would drive ourselves crazy and we should stop, but I can't! I wish I had a better sense of how they stick to clothing. If you jump up and down and shake like crazy will they fall off?

43. Angryagain

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 2 2011 1:48:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I am pretty sure I got mine from the gym

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,300 posts in 49,235 topics over 152 months by 21,583 of 22,004 members. Latest: looking2identify, Robbysee, Elephant88