Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Do you have severe reactions to bites?

(40 posts)
  1. Kimberleena

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jul 24 2009 1:17:21
    #

Login to Send PM

My life has basically been a living hell for the last 4 months. Short version... I lost my job, home, and car and was forced to move out of state (in with my boyfriend who was originally supposed to sell the house and move in with me) with few of my belongings and have been unemployed ever since.

About a week after I moved in I started to find little red bumps... they were very little in the beginning, but they were also itchy. The bumps just got worse and worse. After about three weeks about 50% of my body was covered in the red itchy spots and rash. And of course my boyfriend had NOTHING. So the general consensus was that I was having a psychosomatic response to unhappiness about my life... well 10 weeks and 2 doctor visits later, nothing had changed. I'd been trying to self treat the "beasties" as I called them... which was hard because I couldn't find anything to let me know what they were. We bombed for fleas and mites. I also did a LOT of cleaning. I thought they were in the living room, because that was where I would discover new bumps. It took a couple months before my boyfriend realized his TINY red bumps could be the same as mine.

It was about a month ago when I was in another cleaning frenzy that I finally SAW the bed bugs in our bed room. We called a PCO and started doing all the things we could find recommended to us. The good news is that things got better... for a bit. We aren't completely bug free, and I have the bumps to show for it.

Here's the root of my question: How severe are some reactions? My bites swell up into VERY itchy, fluid filled blisters. If the blisters pop, they inevitably become scabs or infected sores (thanks to my poor immune system running out of energy after months of this.) I've noticed that sometimes the blisters will spread. One blister will turn into a patch of blisters. I've also recently started to have rashes without bumps that spread if scratched. UGH! It's very difficult to get jobs when you covered in sores and rashes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a higher allergic response? Is there any chance that I could be developing some kind of secondary infection or reaction? Being unemployed I have been relying on visits to a nurse practitioner at the health department. They don't actually test for things... so every time I visit they give me some new pills or creams and we basically hope it works. I'd love to go back in a couple weeks with some new ideas.

2. sunshine1583

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 25 2009 19:38:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had the same skin reaction as you. My boyfriend also has no bumps. I visited three different doctors, each with a different diagnosis, a wrong diagnosis. The only thing that has worked for me so far is prednizone to stop my immune system from reacting. I've been covered with bumps, hives, and blisters for months, but am now finding relief. I am left with tons of little scars all over my hands and arms. Encasing my matress and box springs with zippered mattress bags from walmart and duct taping the zipper also helped. Good luck.

3. livingwithbbs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 4:08:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I once got a severe bite reaction to a bite on my nose. It actually swelled up, burst, and ended up looking like a volcano on the side of my nose. I thought it would heal itself if I just left it alone, but I think it started to get infected. I started applying Neosporin on it twice a day (once in the morning and once at night), and it dramatically went away and healed in 3 or so days. If you're getting pretty bad blisters, I'd try applying some Neosporin on top of it and see if it helps any. Now, whenever I get a bite that is more severe than a welt and itching, I put on some Neosporin and it seems to help a bunch. Good luck.

4. Kimberleena

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 12:30:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm glad/sorry to hear that we share the same kind of reactions Sunshine. We've tried Prednizone, but it only helps me the first half of the treatment, then it's hives and blisters as usual.

And thanks for the neosporin idea, livingwithbbs... but I tried that on one bite I had on my leg that was really bad. I ended up developing a bacterial infection because it created an anaerobic environment. I have a HUGE scar because it spread so quickly. My doctor thinks it had a lot to do with my immune system being "otherwise occupied" with my bedbug allergy response to properly wage war against the bacterial invasion.

I've gotten to the point where I sleep in jersey pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. I tuck my pants into my socks. I wear gloves that I can tuck my sleeves into. Then I roll up in my blanket like a Kimberleena Burrito. It's helped to prevent a lot of new bites... but it's hot as the sun to sleep like that in summer!

5. pokeythefrecklehead

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 15:12:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Kimberleena,

I am sorry about all your misfortunes! You do have lots of things going on at once which is extremely stressful. I hope it gets better soon.

My boys had severe reactions to the bites. Puss filled, oozing, and significant swelling around the bites is what kicked my butt into gear... it was so bad that their peditrician at one point suggested MRSA and diagnosed antibiotics... which brings me to a suggestion: perhaps your scratching is making the bites worse. I recommend that you slather yourself with vaseline before you go to bed at night. Its cheap, it will help you heal AND the bugs dont like to crawl on it.

Good luck! Things are bound to get better for you!

6. sweetblood

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 18:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I have enough bites to look like a wild cat and my boyfriend remains untouched. mine are pretty identical to mosquito bites. Everyone reacts differently and apparently, the bastards ARE attracted to some people and not others. Some get bitten with no reaction and some people just dont get bitten. I wonder how many are living with the things and totally oblivious.

7. sisterfaith

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 19:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Kimberleena,

I also have a reaction to, what I know now are bedbug bites. I thought I was allergic to mosquitos, because I only had spread apart single skeeter type bites. Then 2 of the first 6 bites I got (on my feet) turned into blisters. My foot swelled up and I went to a doctor. He gave me an injection & steroid based pills. The swelling went down, but not the blisters. I was getting a new bite...a new blister, daily.
    I'm losing track, but I think that was 4 weeks ago. I'm also unemployed and thank god for COBRA. I've been to a dematologist, who took a biopsy and a blood test. I got the results today. Cause: insect bite. In the meanwhile a blister became infected...I might have banged it. So now I'm taking antibiotics. I'm seeing both my regular doctor and the dermatologist this Thursday. I'm hoping SOMEBODY has a "cure" for the blister reaction.
    As for treatment...I've been using Neosporin on scabs. I've tried anti itch creams on the blisters, but they don't do much. When one gets unbearable (maybe the 2nd-3rd day) I take an antihistime and that does work for me.
    THEN I start to fight those damn bugs...and so far ( 3 days) no new bites.
    My battle with bedbugs...I think I've been very lucky. I found one(proof), AND ONLY ONE. I know there are more, after all, I've got the bites. I realize it would be so much harder to fight them if I was sleep deprived, I needed to isolate my bed.. I bagged all my bed and couch linens & blankets & pillows....to be washed/dried later. I vacuumed my 4 room railroad style apartment as best I could around all my clutter. Then I washed the floor with Murphy's Oil Soap. I move the bed away from the walls and took it bed apart, armed with a flashlight, clear packing tape, bucket of Murphy's and a bottle I got at my pharmacy of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. I wiped down everything. Not knowing what works...I used Murphy's on the sides, and Alcohol metal bedframe and on the tops and bottoms of the mattress and box spring . I had bought 4 stainless steel bowls (99c at the pharmacy) which I put under the legs, and filled with Murphy's.
    I follow that procedure every night. And will until the exterminator (hey, that's what they still call em in Brooklyn!) comes and I can encase the bed.
    I took pictures of my blisters. I never found any that looked similar on the web. I put them on Flicker. Here's a link...let me know if you can't access them, since I'm not sure if this is how this forum attaches photos.
    Anyway........I hope some of this helps you.....it's veeeery stressful. One day at a time. Stay strong.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/40000989@N07/sets/72157621867217106/

8. Just itching to get rid of them

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 27 2009 22:33:24
    #

Login to Send PM

sisterfaith, I saw your photos. I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for what you are going through. Anyone with bbs is going through Hell, but you are going through very dark times. I hope and pray your troubles will be resolved soon, and of course wish the same for us all, and of course, for the others on this thread who have similar reactions to yours. All those nincompoops who write that bbs are not a health threat, but just a nuisance should see your photos!

9. sisterfaith

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 0:22:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Just itching to get rid of them - 1 hour ago  » 
    sisterfaith, I saw your photos. I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for what you are going through. Anyone with bbs is going through Hell, but you are going through very dark times. I hope and pray your troubles will be resolved soon, and of course wish the same for us all, and of course, for the others on this thread who have similar reactions to yours. All those nincompoops who write that bbs are not a health threat, but just a nuisance should see your photos!

thanks just itching. I am both happy and sorry to find others with a similar bb bite reaction. I posted the photos with the hope that it will ease someones pain to know they aren't alone. If my doctor can add any information to this issue, I will be posting it. This web site has been an enormous help and I want to thank, again, the site manager and all the amazingly helpful members. Maybe it's time the medical profession started to take bb bites seriously. It also strikes me that they have laws against leaving your dogs poop on the sidewalk, but no laws against leaving a piece of bb contaminated furniture there.

10. Kimberleena

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 1:28:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Sweet crickets!! Sisteroffaith... I'm SO sorry. Those look awful!! My blisters don't swell up that much. Mine usually get to about the size of a pencil eraser. At it's worst, I tried counting and stopped at 187. I actually stopped applying for jobs for a month because I had so many blisters on my hands and arms that I looked like I had some kind of contagious skin infection.

The amazing thing is that my boyfriend's house had to have been infested for a long time because there were THOUSANDS that were easily visible once I knew where to look for them. My reaction only took a couple days to kick in. He didn't even realize that he had bites!

So far all of my efforts are working rather well. We're working on the continued treatment so that as eggs hatch we can kill them too. So I did a crap load of cleaning (and continued cleaning), we have a PCO, and I also did some self-treating with Ortho Home Defense Max based on Jason1's experience with it. It's just really difficult because our house is in disrepair. The windows don't seal properly, there are holes in the walls, etc. So I can't be sure if the bugs are gone or if they can somehow find their way into the house from outside.

As for treatment... I am currently taking an antihistimine to ease the itchies, an antibiotic due to the fist sized scaly rash on my leg "which might be a staph infection" (as a microbiologist I'm not a fan of antibiotics without testing, but I'll try anything these days), and hydrocortisone cream which has aided in faster healing.

Best wishes to everyone dealing with bed bugs... especially those who seem to have more agressive reactions. I'm going to roll myself into a Kimberleena burrito and try to get some sleep.

11. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 7:51:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I am very sorry that you are experiencing such severe reactions. I hope you get better soon. I just wanted to say that if anyone in the future has to go to an uninformed doctor or dermatologist (this happens with some depressing frequency) about a similar condition, blister reactions to bed bug bites, you may want to show them this article to get them up to speed: http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v126/n1/full/5700012a.html I think the patient in this account was given a corticosteroid cream and it worked. You can also use the search terms suggested by this article to find more information in the future, bullous allergic hypersensitivity, and bullous cimicosis. I think it's safe to say that in every case where this occurs a visit to the doctor is a good idea. Double if there are any additional symptoms like fever.

Good luck to you all.

12. Just itching to get rid of them

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 7:53:23
    #

Login to Send PM

sisterfaith, the medical profession does not take bbs seriously. One doctor I know jokes about them. Yesterday, I just posted a thread that my internist had no idea that bbs suck blood, and that when I informed him of that fact, he told me it was "disgusting." I agree with you that bbs should definitely be taken as seriously as dog poop on the sidewalk!

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 9:23:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thankfully this type of blister like reaction is extremely rare, I have only seen 3 cases in 7 years, one of them happens to be an old friend of mine who was infected via the up stairs neighbour.

In her case the blister type reaction was also associated with a severe allergic reaction with some anaphalytic symptoms. If you get this level of reaction then you simply MUST take all steps you can to avoid contact with infected locations as even skin contact with cast skins can induce a reaction.

I have always been an advocate of don't remove yourself from the environment and attempt to flee the bugs but in this level of reaction I reverse that and say you MUST avoid contact at all costs because of the potential for secondary complications.

If you get this level of reaction please seek immediate help from a medical professional. If you get dark or black lines that trace out from the blisters and appear to follow the lines of veins and arteries do not delay and get to an emergency room immediately because it can be an indication of blood poisoning or septicemia.

I have some similar pictures on the bites section of bed bug beware which I often refer people to when they say they are extremely allergic to the bites. Most come back and say ah I now see what you mean about my reaction for actually technically being severe rather than allergic.

Either way bites can be unpleasant but thankfully this level of reaction is rare.

I hope you get sorted soon.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  14. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 12:01:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Tangential or perhaps truly off-topic:

David, I disagree with the distinction you appear to be drawing (I could be misreading you).

Technically, a simple wheal-and-flare response to a bed bug bite is an allergic reaction. Bed bug bite reactions are immunological in nature (i.e., it's not simple irritation). In my reading I've come across certain sort of strict definitions of allergy (limiting it to Type I hypersensitivity reactions) but indeed Type I reactions, which include anaphylaxis, are on a continuum from "minor inconvenience to death" -- btw, the other type of reaction involved in bed bug bites is delayed type hypersensitivity.

15. sisterfaith

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 13:31:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Kimberleena - 11 hours ago  » 
    Sweet crickets!! Sisteroffaith... I'm SO sorry. Those look awful!! My blisters don't swell up that much. Mine usually get to about the size of a pencil eraser. At it's worst, I tried counting and stopped at 187. I actually stopped applying for jobs for a month because I had so many blisters on my hands and arms that I looked like I had some kind of contagious skin infection.
    The amazing thing is that my boyfriend's house had to have been infested for a long time because there were THOUSANDS that were easily visible once I knew where to look for them. My reaction only took a couple days to kick in. He didn't even realize that he had bites!
    So far all of my efforts are working rather well. We're working on the continued treatment so that as eggs hatch we can kill them too. So I did a crap load of cleaning (and continued cleaning), we have a PCO, and I also did some self-treating with Ortho Home Defense Max based on Jason1's experience with it. It's just really difficult because our house is in disrepair. The windows don't seal properly, there are holes in the walls, etc. So I can't be sure if the bugs are gone or if they can somehow find their way into the house from outside.
    As for treatment... I am currently taking an antihistimine to ease the itchies, an antibiotic due to the fist sized scaly rash on my leg "which might be a staph infection" (as a microbiologist I'm not a fan of antibiotics without testing, but I'll try anything these days), and hydrocortisone cream which has aided in faster healing.
    Best wishes to everyone dealing with bed bugs... especially those who seem to have more agressive reactions. I'm going to roll myself into a Kimberleena burrito and try to get some sleep.

187 !!! Damn. I've been unlucky with my reaction, but lucky that I've haven't had more than 20 bites.
    Thanks for opening this up for discussion...I'd still be in the dark if you hadn't. I'm impressed with your positive energy and really happy that the various treatments you're taking are working. I got a cortisone cream (Betameth dip Aub .04) but only used it once. It didn't help the iching and it didn't stop a blister, so I stopped...STUPID! I'm going to start applying it to the blisters and see if it helps with the healing.
    And... GOOD NEWS...no new bites for 4 days!
    I've been wearing socks...would not be good to get bitten there with current blisters, but I'm wearing shorts and short sleaves (except to sleep).
    Tomorrow is my PCO visit. Day after are doctors.
    Good luck with your clean up...you go girl!

16. sisterfaith

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 13:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

hopelessnomo - 5 hours ago  » 
    I am very sorry that you are experiencing such severe reactions. I hope you get better soon. I just wanted to say that if anyone in the future has to go to an uninformed doctor or dermatologist (this happens with some depressing frequency) about a similar condition, blister reactions to bed bug bites, you may want to show them this article to get them up to speed: http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v126/n1/full/5700012a.html I think the patient in this account was given a corticosteroid cream and it worked. You can also use the search terms suggested by this article to find more information in the future, bullous allergic hypersensitivity, and bullous cimicosis. I think it's safe to say that in every case where this occurs a visit to the doctor is a good idea. Double if there are any additional symptoms like fever.
    Good luck to you all.

Thank you Hopelessnomo!
    That is extreamly helpful !
    I printed it out and will bring it with me in a few days to the doctors. I don't have a fever, but I wished my infected ankle would heal quicker. It's no longer hot to touch and the bright red is now darker. mocicillian usually works faster for me. Patients.(pardon my spelling).

17. sisterfaith

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 13:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    Thankfully this type of blister like reaction is extremely rare, I have only seen 3 cases in 7 years, one of them happens to be an old friend of mine who was infected via the up stairs neighbour.
    In her case the blister type reaction was also associated with a severe allergic reaction with some anaphalytic symptoms. If you get this level of reaction then you simply MUST take all steps you can to avoid contact with infected locations as even skin contact with cast skins can induce a reaction.
    I have always been an advocate of don't remove yourself from the environment and attempt to flee the bugs but in this level of reaction I reverse that and say you MUST avoid contact at all costs because of the potential for secondary complications.
    If you get this level of reaction please seek immediate help from a medical professional. If you get dark or black lines that trace out from the blisters and appear to follow the lines of veins and arteries do not delay and get to an emergency room immediately because it can be an indication of blood poisoning or septicemia.
    I have some similar pictures on the bites section of bed bug beware which I often refer people to when they say they are extremely allergic to the bites. Most come back and say ah I now see what you mean about my reaction for actually technically being severe rather than allergic.
    Either way bites can be unpleasant but thankfully this level of reaction is rare.
    I hope you get sorted soon.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am VERY sorry to hear I'm so unique! It appears you can change your list to 4. I have to say...I thought it was strange when I couldn't find any pixs on the web.
    I checked your site....but couldn't find my way to information on allergic reactions.
    I'm happy to say I've no new bites (4 days) and my infection seems under control. I will definately be keeping an eye on it...and not hesitate to get help if I see a black line develop. I appreciate all the advise and concern. I'll post with more info when I get some. Now back to bagging!

18. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 14:06:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi nobugs,

Sorry I omitted to make clear that my statement relates to what I should have more technically correctly called a bullion eruption or blister like pustule that is formed at the extreme end of the scale of reaction to bed bugs.

There is a picture from the exact case I refer posted here:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugbites.html

This level of reaction is more likely to occur in situations where a more severe anaphylaxis could occur. Only two of the three cases I refer to required medical attention but one was considered extremely critical and almost fatal.

I take on board your medical assessment of bites but from the field I have to throw a big one on the table that illustrates that bites responses are not purely immune responses tot he bites themselves. A few years ago I treated a case which appeared to be rather unusual. The gentleman reported bites that only became visible when he was at work. Much closer analysis revealed that the bite response occurred within 3 minutes of him opening his car door anywhere within the grounds of the location he worked. The site was massive but renowned for low air quality with an extremely high hydrocarbon content to the point of being immediately detectable by smell alone.

If the reaction was immune mediated it was not induced by the bed bug bite but was in fact induced by the environment around him and the fact that he was covered in literally hundreds of small holes in his skin. He bed on the other hand was home to thousands of bed bugs upon inspection, an infestation that superseded his reaction by 6 - 9 months.

David

19. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 14:34:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Sisterfaith,

I just wanted to say that while my bed bug bites were awful compared to other bug bites I'd had in the past, those that you have are truly, truly awful. You have my sympathies.

20. sisterfaith

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 28 2009 15:18:09
    #

Login to Send PM

BBcoukHome - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi nobugs,
    Sorry I omitted to make clear that my statement relates to what I should have more technically correctly called a bullion eruption or blister like pustule that is formed at the extreme end of the scale of reaction to bed bugs.

Thanks!

This level of reaction is more likely to occur in situations where a more severe anaphylaxis could occur. Only two of the three cases I refer to required medical attention but one was considered extremely critical and almost fatal.
    I take on board your medical assessment of bites but from the field I have to throw a big one on the table that illustrates that bites responses are not purely immune responses tot he bites themselves. A few years ago I treated a case which appeared to be rather unusual. The gentleman reported bites that only became visible when he was at work. Much closer analysis revealed that the bite response occurred within 3 minutes of him opening his car door anywhere within the grounds of the location he worked. The site was massive but renowned for low air quality with an extremely high hydrocarbon content to the point of being immediately detectable by smell alone.
    If the reaction was immune mediated it was not induced by the bed bug bite but was in fact induced by the environment around him and the fact that he was covered in literally hundreds of small holes in his skin. He bed on the other hand was home to thousands of bed bugs upon inspection, an infestation that superseded his reaction by 6 - 9 months.
    David

That's a scary story! But Interesting...could be something in my environment that is setting off the reaction.

21. itchfactor

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 29 2009 1:09:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had a very bad reaction as well. It started in January and 4 doctors visits later and different creams it wasn't until I finally saw one that I knew what it was. I am a supply teacher, and these bites have basically ruined my life. I have to make sure that I am completely covered up so that none of my bites show or else I get questioned especially by the kids about them. It has made me very self consious and not want to go anywhere especially now in the summer when it is to hot to cover up.

22. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Aug 19 2009 23:13:50
    #

Login to Send PM

BBcoukHome - 3 weeks ago  » 
    Hi nobugs,

Hi David,

Just to clarify, I had not previously participated in this thread.

The poster you were responding to has since asked their account be deleted, so is now listed as "Anonymous / Unregistered."

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  23. Deathlyallergic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 29 2009 1:06:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Kimberleena - 3 months ago  » 
    My life has basically been a living hell for the last 4 months. Short version... I lost my job, home, and car and was forced to move out of state (in with my boyfriend who was originally supposed to sell the house and move in with me) with few of my belongings and have been unemployed ever since.
    About a week after I moved in I started to find little red bumps... they were very little in the beginning, but they were also itchy. The bumps just got worse and worse. After about three weeks about 50% of my body was covered in the red itchy spots and rash. And of course my boyfriend had NOTHING. So the general consensus was that I was having a psychosomatic response to unhappiness about my life... well 10 weeks and 2 doctor visits later, nothing had changed. I'd been trying to self treat the "beasties" as I called them... which was hard because I couldn't find anything to let me know what they were. We bombed for fleas and mites. I also did a LOT of cleaning. I thought they were in the living room, because that was where I would discover new bumps. It took a couple months before my boyfriend realized his TINY red bumps could be the same as mine.
    It was about a month ago when I was in another cleaning frenzy that I finally SAW the bed bugs in our bed room. We called a PCO and started doing all the things we could find recommended to us. The good news is that things got better... for a bit. We aren't completely bug free, and I have the bumps to show for it.
    Here's the root of my question: How severe are some reactions? My bites swell up into VERY itchy, fluid filled blisters. If the blisters pop, they inevitably become scabs or infected sores (thanks to my poor immune system running out of energy after months of this.) I've noticed that sometimes the blisters will spread. One blister will turn into a patch of blisters. I've also recently started to have rashes without bumps that spread if scratched. UGH! It's very difficult to get jobs when you covered in sores and rashes.
    Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a higher allergic response? Is there any chance that I could be developing some kind of secondary infection or reaction? Being unemployed I have been relying on visits to a nurse practitioner at the health department. They don't actually test for things... so every time I visit they give me some new pills or creams and we basically hope it works. I'd love to go back in a couple weeks with some new ideas.

I AM DEATHLY ALLERGIC, SAME AS YOU I DISCOVERED THOUSANDS OF BITES ALL OVER ME, WITH NO CLUE AS TO WHAT IT WAS JUST ALL OF A SUDDEN.
    I HAD TO MAKE AN EMERGENCY TRIP DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY THROAT STARTED TO SWELL, MY CHEST STARTED TO TIGHTEN, BESIDES THE SEVERE ITCHING, I HAD TO HAVE STEROID SHOTS, BREATHING TREATMENTS, PRESCRIPT ANTIHISTIMINES, ANTI INFLAMMATORIES, ALSO SILVER SULFADIAZINE CREAM, WHICH WORKS REALLY WELL!!
    I GET FROM VERY LARGE SPREAD OUT WELPS, AS WELL AS, SMALL HARD BUMPY ONES DEPENDS ON WHERE ON MY BODY THEY ARE.
    AND SOMETIMES DON'T SHOW UP FOR 2 OR 3 TO 4 DAYS LATER. SO HARD TO TELL WHEN I GOT BIT.
    I HAVE DONE IT ALL, AND AM NOW GOING TO TRY THE CLIMBUP FROM USBEDBUGS.COM.
    I SHARE YOUR PAIN!!!

24. Deathlyallergic

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 29 2009 1:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Deathlyallergic - 34 seconds ago  » 

Kimberleena - 3 months ago  » 

I AM DEATHLY ALLERGIC, SAME AS YOU I DISCOVERED THOUSANDS OF BITES ALL OVER ME, WITH NO CLUE AS TO WHAT IT WAS JUST ALL OF A SUDDEN.
    I HAD TO MAKE AN EMERGENCY TRIP DUE TO THE FACT THAT MY THROAT STARTED TO SWELL, MY CHEST STARTED TO TIGHTEN, BESIDES THE SEVERE ITCHING, I HAD TO HAVE STEROID SHOTS, BREATHING TREATMENTS, PRESCRIPT ANTIHISTIMINES, ANTI INFLAMMATORIES, ALSO SILVER SULFADIAZINE CREAM, WHICH WORKS REALLY WELL!!
    I GET FROM VERY LARGE SPREAD OUT WELPS, AS WELL AS, SMALL HARD BUMPY ONES DEPENDS ON WHERE ON MY BODY THEY ARE.
    AND SOMETIMES DON'T SHOW UP FOR 2 OR 3 TO 4 DAYS LATER. SO HARD TO TELL WHEN I GOT BIT.
    I HAVE DONE IT ALL, AND AM NOW GOING TO TRY THE CLIMBUP FROM USBEDBUGS.COM.
    I SHARE YOUR PAIN!!!

OH, WORD OF CAUTION, TRY YOUR HARDEST NOT TO SCRATCH, WEAR LONG SLEEVES, WITCH HAZEL HELPS, GET THE DOCTOR TO PRESCRIBE ATARAX, IF HE HASN'T ALREADY AND STEROIDS, GREATLY HELPS, IF YOU DON'T SCRATCH THEM THEY WONT INFECT. THAT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE BUT THE SILVER SULFADIAZINE CREAM WILL HELP THAT TOO.

25. cwood0511

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Nov 18 2009 22:04:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay. I need some much needed help. I have not been bitten since middle of September. I do believe that I have my infestation problem under control (at least I hope). I had a pretty bad reaction in my opinion. First I had the rash then it changed to welps and some were small and some were pretty large as in 4-5" long and 1"wide. I have been to the doctor and he prescribed steroids but as soon as I would finish the steroids my welps would return. They put me on a cream and another medicine and it has helped until a couple days ago. Now the welps have returned but not as many and not as large and normally gone within 24-36 hrs but new ones come somewhere else.

For the individuals that have had the allergic reactions. Is this somewhat normal to keep having these welps after being bite free for 2 months? I inspect myself DAILY for new bites but haven't seen any, so I'm pretty sure I'm still reacting to the original bites, but would like for some of the more experienced people to confirm that for me.

26. bedbuggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 1:59:07
    #

Login to Send PM

If the bumps aren't consistent or constant it sounds more like a skin reaction than a bite reaction.
    My problem was anaphylaxis and asthma and this got worse when I had positively gotten away from bugs by sleeping in a trailer. Your immune system may be overworked or something. This is going to sound weird but try a cooling rinse on trouble areas before leaving the shower and see if it helps. That helped w/ my hives. What also seems to happen is that your immune system gets revved up and your dormant allergies surface... i.e.; dust, detergent, pets, mold, maybe pesticides Also, bug your doctors (no pun intended:) let them know something is going on here that is abnormal for you so you make an impression on them. We are the guinea pigs for the medical community and the more data we give them the better.

And of course, there is always the possibility you are getting bit... have you brought any questionable items back into the room?

27. cwood0511

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 17:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbuggery, thanks for your reply.

My welps really don't have any consistency to them and they aren't appearing everyday either. Just once in a while. But, concerned once I finish the medicine they will be back full force. I haven't changed anything thus far. I was waiting til first of the year to really go back to living what I hope to be a normal life (outside of bags, etc). If that happens that will mean I have been bite free for 3.5 months. I actually never seen a bb anyway. I think I had a small infestation with ALOT of skin reaction. Anyhow, I will keep you updated once I complete my medication to see how I do that that time.

28. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 18:17:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi cwood0511,

Please make the time to consult with your medical professional with regards this matter. If you explain your concerns to them then I am sure they will explain options such as reducing the does of the medication gradually to reduce those risks.

David

29. cwood0511

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Nov 19 2009 21:19:59
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thank you for that suggestion. I hadn't even thought about that. If they will do that , at least I will be able to tell if I still have the reactions and if so how bad.

Thanks again,
    Cindy

30. bedbuggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Nov 20 2009 0:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are being exposed to any bb sheddings in the air or on your bed this could be setting something off. I'm not sure how to deal w/ this issue because I think a vacuum (like roach sheddings) is one of the reasons they go airborne. Consider ways of reducing dust as (chitin sensitivity) can be a byproduct of BB exposure and could be helping to set off your skin. Wipe down dusty areas. I will sometimes wash exposed skin during the day if I have spent a lot of time indoors or around dust.

I agree w/ david about talking to your doctor. They may suggest stepping down to a milder OTC like Zyrtec too?

31. BugginInTheBigSleazy

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jan 6 2010 12:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

At first, I would get huge welts and sometimes big pus-filled blisters. After four months, I built up an immunity and am now a non-reactor. Too bad my boyfriend hasn't. We don't live together, and he only sleeps over occasionally.
    Good luck! Hopefully the same will happen to you! It's still gross, but at least I don't itch anymore.

32. tony999

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 23 2010 16:20:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Kimberleena - 10 months ago  » 

I've gotten to the point where I sleep in jersey pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. I tuck my pants into my socks. I wear gloves that I can tuck my sleeves into. Then I roll up in my blanket like a Kimberleena Burrito. It's helped to prevent a lot of new bites... but it's hot as the sun to sleep like that in summer!

LOL! sorry but that was a little funny because I did the exact same thing! It looked like I was going to bed somewhere in Antarctica! I spent many nights right next to a fan!

I guess some people are just a bit more sensitive to bug bites. This happened while I was staying with a friend. We shared the room together and his bites were just tiny red marks. Me on the other hand, it looked like I was dying of a horrific skin disease! These blisters caused a lot of harm to my social and work life! I was once sent home because I had gotten bit on the face and it turned into blisters during my serving shift! It literally looked like I had a herpes outbreak! Another time I went to dinner with a friend and my lower left side of my chin swelled up to a point where it looked like a tumor growth!

In the mornings the bedbug bites were just red marks but through the day it would turn into blisters. When it formed, I would go to the bathroom and pop it. After I soaked the puss, I rubbed some alcohol and put a bandaide around it. Once I got home, I would pop all the blisters, rub the hell out of it with rubbing alcohol and dry it out in front of a fan. Yeah, it scared that way, but at that point I was desperate!

I had been staying with my friend trying to save some money, but that wasn't worth it! After about three months, I packed up my clothes and literally dumped it... even the suit case and shoes. I got on a plane and flew back to my hometown and found another job and a new apartment. Yeah, I waved my white flagged and surrendered.

33. really bad problem

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun May 23 2010 18:27:59
    #

Login to Send PM

tony999 - 2 hours ago  » 

LOL! sorry but that was a little funny because I did the exact same thing! It looked like I was going to bed somewhere in Antarctica! I spent many nights right next to a fan!
    I guess some people are just a bit more sensitive to bug bites. This happened while I was staying with a friend. We shared the room together and his bites were just tiny red marks. Me on the other hand, it looked like I was dying of a horrific skin disease! These blisters caused a lot of harm to my social and work life! I was once sent home because I had gotten bit on the face and it turned into blisters during my serving shift! It literally looked like I had a herpes outbreak! Another time I went to dinner with a friend and my lower left side of my chin swelled up to a point where it looked like a tumor growth!
    In the mornings the bedbug bites were just red marks but through the day it would turn into blisters. When it formed, I would go to the bathroom and pop it. After I soaked the puss, I rubbed some alcohol and put a bandaide around it. Once I got home, I would pop all the blisters, rub the hell out of it with rubbing alcohol and dry it out in front of a fan. Yeah, it scared that way, but at that point I was desperate!
    I had been staying with my friend trying to save some money, but that wasn't worth it! After about three months, I packed up my clothes and literally dumped it... even the suit case and shoes. I got on a plane and flew back to my hometown and found another job and a new apartment. Yeah, I waved my white flagged and surrendered.

The swelling of the chin happened to me, too..

34. tisIsaidthefly

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 15:06:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I react to bed bug bites severely. It is an absolute horror show. First, I get an itch - a horrible itch that I can't find because I'm numb at the site. Eventually though I can find it because I swell up with a goose egg the size of a fifty cent piece and in the middle, after a few days, a little ulcerated area appears, first as a blister and then
    when it breaks, an ulcer gets there that takes forever to heal, leaks fluid and festers terribly, itching and burning and which leaves me scarred permanently with
    big reddish brown scars. Sometimes, disgusting as it sounds, it itches so bad
    that I feel like I'm going crazy and nothing satiates it but to literally rip off that scab and
    then take clean paper towels and rub the raw part till it gets numb. Then of course, it bleeds and it hurts. Just absolutely disgusting. But
    I just can't help it when it gets to that point. It's beyond what a human being can tolerate. Meanwhile, I have to take Benadryl when it gets too bad and that dries out my eyes so badly that
    I've been developing eye problems from it plus it knocks me out and I can't function. And in addition to the bed bug bite reactions, I'm having something else start to happen - that is, a sort of heaviness in my chest, like it's affecting my heart or something and I even start to have trouble catching my breath when I'm bitten. I'm wondering just how much more can I even stand?

35. really bad problem

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 16:01:42
    #

Login to Send PM

tony999 - 5 days ago  » 

You say you just dumped everything when you moved...did that work? I'm really thinking about doing the same thing. This is taking an emotional toll on me and I'm at my wits end.

36. bedbuggery

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 16 2010 22:26:59
    #

Login to Send PM

tisIsaidthefly - 1 month ago  » 
    I react to bed bug bites severely. It is an absolute horror show. First, I get an itch - a horrible itch that I can't find because I'm numb at the site. Eventually though I can find it because I swell up with a goose egg the size of a fifty cent piece and in the middle, after a few days, a little ulcerated area appears, first as a blister and then
    when it breaks, an ulcer gets there that takes forever to heal, leaks fluid and festers terribly, itching and burning and which leaves me scarred permanently with
    big reddish brown scars. Sometimes, disgusting as it sounds, it itches so bad
    that I feel like I'm going crazy and nothing satiates it but to literally rip off that scab and
    then take clean paper towels and rub the raw part till it gets numb. Then of course, it bleeds and it hurts. Just absolutely disgusting. But
    I just can't help it when it gets to that point. It's beyond what a human being can tolerate. Meanwhile, I have to take Benadryl when it gets too bad and that dries out my eyes so badly that
    I've been developing eye problems from it plus it knocks me out and I can't function. And in addition to the bed bug bite reactions, I'm having something else start to happen - that is, a sort of heaviness in my chest, like it's affecting my heart or something and I even start to have trouble catching my breath when I'm bitten. I'm wondering just how much more can I even stand?

Hey, sorry to add to your list but you should get checked out for asthma. This could be due to sensitization or an increase in BB populations. According to the World Health Organization, bedug sheddings can cause asthma. For me, I became sensitized as well to dust and fleas even though I am almost 2 years BB free!!

37. DarciBugs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 9 2011 0:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a very severe reaction to bites and am happy to hear I am not alone. I get horrible blisters that bleed and itch so severely I bought (get ready for it) a toilet brush for the sole purpose of scratching (and keep in its own plastic bag of course)

I have three packs of prednisone and some cream in case I get bitten again but I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it will not happen. Box spring and mattress triple cased and duct taped. Interceptors on bed which is isolated, away from wall with interceptors.

Have had two separate PCOs in.

I'm sooo glad to hear even the guru himself admitting that while all this advice (stay in home, etc) is all well and good....but oozing blisters and difficulty breathing are reasons to throw in the towel.

One more bite and I am OUT. I own my unit and cannot wait to just up and move. And yes I have sealed the apartment and will insure the unit is completely bed bug free (using a 400 dollar passive receptor) before I sell.

I so want to light a match and drop it.

I do wonder if this is the universe's way of getting me to get out of NYC. I'm so done with this.

38. congtam

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Dec 16 2011 16:17:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow glad i found this thread, took me months to realize i have a bed bugs problem. I always wanted to deny it because of the fact that i saw other victim's bites looked nothing like mine. I thought it was fleas or chigger but now i know its bedbugs for sure. I was on vacation in Vietnam (where im from) for 5 weeks and when i came back i thought the bugs would die from starvation. But i was wrong, i got bites again but this time my reaction didn't kick in and the bites felt nonexistent. Being in Brooklyn my skin changes and i got more vulnerable to the bites since in Vietnam i was exposed to mosquito bites a lot more which maybe altered my immune system to bites.
    My bite first have a small dot and a bit of redness around it, then after i get huge reactions, my skin starts to swell up like a huge bee bite after 2-5 days the bite gets smaller and the hole in the center develop blisters and gets bigger since it was pulled apart by the swelling surrounds. And heals with a scab which laters leads to a scar that have dark skin. The scar last for a very long time 6-8months

39. Nicole120

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jul 11 2012 21:20:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel it for everyone who has posted about their reactions to BB bites. I have tons & tons of bites literally all over my body, and I do not have a PCO visit confirmed yet. I can't bear sleeping in my bed again. Couch it is for me tonight. My bites have swollen up & my left arm actually looks deformed. I am miserable & frightened, my skin feels like its on fire. Not to mention the looks I got from people today. I cannot believe I'm in this mess & from what I hear from all of you, there may be lingering scars - Which I've never had before. I have family events this weekend & have told no one whats happening to me, except for my Landlord & this forum. Too ashamed. This is extremely depressing !!!!!!! I sincerely hope everyone is feeling relief from this very very soon.

40. BuggedWithBedBugs

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 28 2012 23:44:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I know exactly what everyone is going through...pure hell! long story short(as short as I can be), My fiancees sister is staying w/ us for a short time (not short enough as of now) came in march thats when it started, small tiny welts that went as fast as the came and then the painful truth....BB's ! after 3 months of blaming the poor dog of fleas in which I have a real bad reaction to,the welts got bigger and more intense ,I realized it was not fleas when i awoke to get ready for work and my arms were peppered and I mean peppered with welts fleas attack my legs always have, i actually thought I got poison ivy/oak at that time since that afternoon before i was working in the yard,but when i went out to check for it there was none to be found. so to Google i went, i searched and searched and after about 20 minutes it was official the photos i was seeing were what I had all over me BB bites, it is horrible but I have found some reliev after a month of trying this and that ....Aveeno OMG this is such a life saver when i start itching real bad mostly after I come home from work and relax (go figure) I get in the shower of cool not cold cool like just before the water is luke warm, and I use Aveeno daily body wash and rinse it off and then i use and i think this is the best shower part skin-relief-shower-and-bath-oil this stuff is amazing and it is very soothing and it does not lather which i like for the final rinse, and after I get out of the shower i use the Pièce de résistance Aveeno Skin Relief Calming Lotion
    w/cooling action this stuff feels so good after it is rubbed in and it calms my itching alot !!! that is all on the brighter side however when i get up in the morning to get ready for work now I coat my arms with (yes Aveeno again) 1% hydrocortisone anti-itch cream and the i use the krinkle gauze rolls to wrap my arms from just below the elbow to my wrist this is where I am peppered with bites and now scars along with the bites, and then use stretch tube bandage to hold in place and boy do I get the looks some have asked if I tried to kill myself <as if > and i simply tell them nice of you to judge me what a look i get then I show what is going on and then the im sorry's start and I simply walk away,anyway company "T" came out last week did the freeze treatment and now we see more bugs than before, wow is that normal ? making another appointment for them to come out again and look for any BB's when they came out last week the PCO asked what the white powder was that i have all over the baseboards and other places in the house ? I told him it is Diatomaceous earth (DE) and he stated that was a great thing to use and I told him I know. I found a BB live and placed it in a container with no lid for air, placed a tiny bit of the DE dust and within a day it was dead it was dehydrated so like i said it is all over the home under my mattress, all edging of the baseboards. this is some amazing stuff ! then today to top all things off I go to the Derm. and they tell my that I have hives as well due to stress! Stress what stress geez haha, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the mix of helping people heal and get a small amount of relief from the Hell of itching and welts. Please be well everyone and I want to thank everyone for posting on here since I have now found a tiny sanctuary of hope and help on this site thank you all ! Be well

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19