Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Do they leave fecal marks on skin?

(7 posts)
  1. manhattanmom

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 7:49:13
    #

Login to Send PM

My 2 year old son had a small cluster of black marks on his shin yesterday. I only noticed when I was getting him ready for his bath but they could have shown up during his nap earlier in the day. They were not there in the morning when he woke up. I wish I had taken a picture but at the time, I did not think of it and just washed them off with a washcloth in the bath. He and my 5 year old daughter have also recently shown single bite marks but I had not been concerned about those til now because they were single marks and rather small.

My question is, do bed bugs ever leave fecal matter on skin? I have googled and only come up with pictures on mattresses, furniture and floors or walls. We were treated for bed bugs 3 times between mid-September and mid-October based on bite marks and a canine inspection (the exterminators never saw a single bug, cast skin or egg). The canine is supposed to return in December to inspect again but I am sort of freaking out if this means they could be back.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Nov 21 2011 14:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Technically they can but it is not that common at all and you would almost certainly find faecal material in other places as well as the ones on the skin. Faecal traces on the skin would only be left close to a bite site if the bedbug defecated while feeding in order to ensure it received the maximum possible size of meal. This is called micturation and does not always happen which is why it is rare to see.

Richard Naylor took an amazing picture of one doing this but it is the only such image I have ever seen.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 22 2011 13:52:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David,

There is a little video here that shows the process you are describing:

[+] Embed the videoGet the Video Plugin

It defecates about 25 seconds in, while it is still feeding.

4. sooverit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 22 2011 14:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

speaking of fecal matter...I have not found any but I have found some dark spots on our carpet behind our bed frame. I cannot tell if it is paint (the wall behind the bed is painted a deep, dark bown) or something else. It's just a few spots. Do they usually leave fecal matter in the carpet? These spots look very smudged, not at all black, vibrantly stained spots like the ones I've seen in photos.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 22 2011 15:42:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Faecal traces are most commonly found around refugia or harbourage sites so away from the walls on carpets is not a common place.

If you can post an in focus image we may be able to give you some input on the probability.

David

6. sooverit

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Nov 22 2011 15:56:07
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 11 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    Faecal traces are most commonly found around refugia or harbourage sites so away from the walls on carpets is not a common place.
    If you can post an in focus image we may be able to give you some input on the probability.
    David

David, I will send you those tonight along with my bed photos. I have a suspicion they may be in the basebaords where the carpet meets the baseboard since we cannot find them elsewhere. I have not however, found traces of any kind of matter on the crisp white basebaords either. I continue to vacum them and I am also having Terminex re-steam the baseboards and re-spray when they come for our second treatment.

7. manhattanmom

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 24 2011 20:56:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you.

I did not see any more marks on my son nor on his sheet or his crib. He does have one small bite like mark on his shin near where these dark marks were. And this morning my daughter's pillow showed up with a small blood-looking streak (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70692550@N04/6397325337/) that has me freaked out. I really just want this "is it? isn't it?" paranoia to be over!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45