Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Do these look like bed bug bites or flea bites?

(13 posts)
  1. random98

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 17:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

My 2 year old nephew has them all over. His mother is saying they are fleas but im worried. They are also on his forehead. Do they look like flea bites or bed bug bites?

Bug bites https://imgur.com/a/5dcSO

2. micachica

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 17:22:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m in no way an expert but had some fun neighbors give me a host of bugs last summer that I’m still trying to get rid of a year later so I’m as knowledgeable as google will allow. Lol. Fleas tend to bite more on the ankle and feet. To me those look like bed bug bites and especially since they are on the neck and arm (even though you can be bitten anywhere there is exposed skin). By the amount of bites in that pic I’d imagine you’d see evidence in the bed. Poor kiddo.

3. random98

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 19:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

He has bites on his forehead too. Do bed bugs usually bite the face?

4. micachica

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 19:24:28
    #

Login to Send PM

They can. Any exposed skin really. Your face is where your mouth is and where your carbon monoxide is coming from that allows the bugs to find you and feed. It’s no fun to have signs indicating possible bed bugs. I’d say check the mattresses and box springs for live bugs, fecal stains, and cast skins. You’ll prob see signs on the boxspring under the dust cover if they are there. To me it would be worth it to check. If it’s fleas those can be exterminated too. A lot easier than bed bugs can.

5. random98

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 19:31:30
    #

Login to Send PM

He got the bites while he was at his babysitters. He didn't stay the night there or anything. His mother is insisting they are flea bites but idk.

6. micachica

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 19:39:58
    #

Login to Send PM

That makes it hard. Transporting possessions back and forth to a babysitter and home sounds like a good way to transport bugs back and forth. Whatever bug it turns out to be. I hope it all works out and the poor little guy stops getting bit.

7. micachica

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 19:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

One more thing bed bugs can be in other places not just the bed. Couches, chairs, etc. I assume based on his age he took at nap at some point? It would be odd but not impossible that he could have been bitten by bed bugs while he was actively playing.

8. random98

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 20:06:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Would bed bugs cause that many bites that fast though? He has them on his legs, face, arms, neck, and 3 bites on his stomach. Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be flea bites?

9. random98

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 20:07:00
    #

Login to Send PM

He was there yesterday. I guess the babysitter thought he was having an allergic reaction at first.

10. micachica

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Fri Apr 13 2018 20:25:17
    #

Login to Send PM

It depends on how many bugs were present. There are a lot of variables. Does he regularly go to this babysitter? Was he there the day before with no bites and then suddenly got bitten up the next day? Were they at the house all day? Did they go anywhere? Was he in the babysitters car? Did the bites appear after nap or immediately upon arrival while actively playing and not sitting or resting like while eating or watching a movie or napping. Were any new toys or furniture introduced? My personal opinion not knowing all the facts or variables and just going by the photos and what you’ve shared I don’t think it’s fleas. Not having a picture of what’s biting him it’s all speculation. If the babysitter does actually have fleas is there any treatment going on to get rid of them? An exterminator would be the best person to find out what bug it is and treat accordingly. I hope you get answers soon.

11. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Sun Apr 15 2018 13:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Fleas can also be in beds and couches as well. I found ine in my bed, and I don't have pets either. Does the sitter have pets? While fleas typically bite ankles, legs and even the waist, it's not impossible that they would bite elsewhere, ESPECIALLY on a small child, as they do jump. Did all these bites show up at one time and how long was he there? I wouldn't rule out fleas either, especially if there are pets. Does the sitter know if they have fleas?

12. random98

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Sun Apr 15 2018 16:27:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Do flea bites even look like that though? Both houses have pets. I'm not sure how long he was there and if he even got the bites there. For all i know he could have gotten bit before that. I think they showed up at one time.

13. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 2 days ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 10:01:59
    #

Login to Send PM

random98 - 17 hours ago  » 
    Do flea bites even look like that though? Both houses have pets. I'm not sure how long he was there and if he even got the bites there. For all i know he could have gotten bit before that. I think they showed up at one time.

No one can really diagnose what insect bit you from looking at skin lesions--or even confirm that it is a bite. A dermatologist can do a skin scrape to see if it's in fact a bite, but still can't tell what bit you. Having said that, in general, kids will react more strongly to bites than adults will. Also, if all those bites showed up at once, if there were bed bugs I would think that it would be much easier to find evidence as it would have been multiple bugs that did that. One flea is capable of biting you several times, however. Fleas also like to hide out in carpet or rugs, so if your nephew was lying down on the floor they would have easy access. Whatever it is that's biting him, I'd suggest that they look for evidence for either bug and pay close attention to their pets' behavior as well. Poor little guy!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,341 posts in 44,488 topics over 135 months by 19,506 of 20,185 members. Latest: R1180m, SBbluebed, Panic-in-my-bedroom