Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Do Non-Reactors Eventually React?

(7 posts)
  1. BuggyGirl

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 7:29:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't react to BB bites. My partner does--with big oozing welts. I've also woken up alone with fecal stains and blood stains on the sheets, so I know I'm being bitten, I just don't react.

So I heard somewhere that eventually, if you're bitten enough times, if you live with BBs long enough, eventually even people like me who don't react WILL START REACTING to the bites and show itchy welts on their skin.

Is this true? Or am I safe from that fate forever???

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 11:20:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The simple truth is that we don't know enough in this area of medical entomology to be certain.

For example I am the classic non bite responder, I have fed up to 20 bedbugs on my hand and not reacted. It was only when I had a mass exposure thanks to Lou Sorkin and fed about 300+ in a confined area that I responded.

I suspect that eventually the numbers will get high enough in an untreated infestation that all occupants will respond but this may take 9 months to multiple years.

I have also met a number of people who only responded when there was a secondary factor such as low air quality. They get bitten at home and only respond when they arrive somewhere else such as a work location.

In the case of an active infestation this is something of a mute point as you need to seek treatment as soon as you are aware of the issue rather than waiting for a response to be present in all occupants.

Hope this helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. BuggyGirl

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Oct 31 2010 19:26:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks David. I can't imagine feeding 300+ all at once!

Now do you still respond if bitten after that 300+ feeding? Or did you go back to not responding? I wonder if maybe you responded because of the massive feeding at one time, but would not respond to just one or a few.

I have had migratory bugs from a neighbor for over a year now. There is no end in sight--I am just managing them. I don't have a massive infestation and never did. But I worry that, over time, I will start responding to the bites and my situation will be much worse emotionally and physically.

4. Richard_Naylor

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 1 2010 13:25:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Like David said, we don't really know but my personal experience is that I used to get a fairly good reaction from a pot of about 100 bugs, but over the past 10 years with very regular exposure to large numbers of bites I have stopped responding almost entirely. I fed 500-600 on my arm earlier today and there are now no visible marks. Interestingly I get a much stronger response when I get bitten by a strain that I am less used to feeding. Stranger still, most people who get exposed to a bedbug bite for the first time won't get any response at all for a week or more. The more they get exposed, the shorter the interval between bite and response.

5. toledo

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Nov 1 2010 15:57:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I have quit reacting, too. I got bites a few months ago. They were very small, in a cluster, and itched on and off for several weeks. Now I just notice very small bruises on various parts of my body. It's scary. I think it's better to react to bites, so you are aware of the problem.

6. BuggyGirl

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 2 2010 20:39:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone. This is so frustrating. Who knows if you're even being bitten, if a reactor can stop reacting? I am thinking of getting the Beacon Monitor, or even splurging on the Nightwatch. Since I don't react, and I DO NOT want the bugs to get a foothold in my apartment. So far, I've had only minor infestations, thanks to migrating BBs from my infested neighbor.

7. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 2 2010 23:01:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Similar here: I am getting blemishes, but in the past 2 weeks theyve stopped being super itchy, maybe due to weather. My legs were never blemish free, but I still believe some of these are bites.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,333 posts in 50,175 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14