Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Do-it-yourself inspection: tomorrow is the day

(8 posts)
  1. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 23 2010 23:17:59
    #

Login to Send PM

So I have the day off of work tomorrow. I plan on spending the whole day trying to figure out where these nasty things are hiding. Found two definite fecal spots on my headboard this morning, and another on my fitted sheet.

My bedroom has a bed (with headboard/footboard, full of cracks and crevices), nightstand, dresser, and dog crate. When I mistakenly thought I was in the clear, I put a couple decorative items back in there. I have 3 houseplants, two wall hangings, a couple scarves.

The bugs are most likely in the cracky headboard, but I want to be sure. Hubby's pillow was touching the nightstand when I woke up, and blankets may have touched the floor.

I don't know if I need any inspection tips, but encouragement would be appreciated... I have been putting this off because doing a really thorough, full-scale inspection of my own gives me the heebe-jeebes.

BTW, I also found an enormous oriental cockroach in my bathroom this morning, just staring up at me while I was doing my hair. Fearless little creep. I named him Ralphie and put him in a bag to show my landlord. I have a new property manager and hope this one doesn't threaten to make me help pay for the next extermination.

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 23 2010 23:50:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Watch the vids in this thread.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/inspection-methods

Go easy as to not spread them.

Jim

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 0:43:47
    #

Login to Send PM

This thread should help.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/inspection-methods

Good luck!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. wchicago

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 11:52:09
    #

Login to Send PM

hiya foab
    no advice or tips -you've been no the forum long enough not to need them - not to mention, nobugs sent you the inspection FAQ.
    just wanted to write and say good luck!
    be brave (i know its hard because as much as you want to find them, it is icky and creepy when you finally do) and be very very thorough. let us know what you find after inspection day!
    finally (ok i will give one tip), remember to check all the cracks in things (like seams in dresser drawers, any cracks in furniture, etc) with a flat tool like lou's cut up metrocard tool. i'm just saying this because i inspected one dresser several times and found nothing, but i didn't stick a tool in the drawer seams (where the pieces of wood meet) and after treatment was over, some dead ones fell out of one of those seams when i was cleaning. blech. its hard to fathom just how skinny they are and thus, what good hiders in even the smallest of hiding places. i think that also explains how they could camp out in the recesses of my wooden sofa frame where i could not steam -- there were so many tiny crevices and grooves back there.
    wishing you luck in your hunting!!

5. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 13:36:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tips, especially the notched metrocard trick. I don't have a metrocard, but I used a business card to make something comparable (but less durable, I'm sure).

Taking a short break from my inspection... just spoke to my landlord and the PCO contracted for our apartment complex. The original PCO was from a different company, and they do not cover re-treatments this long after the initial treatment (Nov. 30). However, the contracted PCO looked over the treatment notes, evaluated the type of treatment originally provided (bed was not fully treated) and said "no wonder you're still having problems"...

New property manager is extremely nice and did not raise a fuss at all about the cost. I am set up for another FULL treatment next Wednesday afternoon, with a followup treatment, and 90 day warranty. No mention was made of making me help pay for this.

I am so grateful to God that I have some hope again. It was great to meet the PCO in person and talk to him and the property manager in the same room, get this all squared away. A well-spend day off of work so far. Now another cup of coffee and continue my inspection.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 13:55:31
    #

Login to Send PM

This is good news!

If your original treatment was the ONLY treatment, I'd be suspicious of that.

The PCO may pick at the treatment notes, and s/he may be right, but I think a lack of follow-up is a big problem. It's possible to get rid of bed bugs in one go, but not usual.

I'd expect a PCO to come back in two weeks to do a repeat treatment.

7. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 14:17:05
    #

Login to Send PM

No, it wasn't the only treatment... they did one full treatment with phantom, apparently (I should have asked for a copy of those notes, actually...) on 11/30/09 then a followup treatment 12/9/09. So really just two treatments from them, then "someone" (I'm guessing the old prop. manager) told them they didn't need to come back again.

I was bite/evidence free from 12/21/09-01/25/10, and unbagged my clothes. Not sure if that was the source of the re-emergence, but I'm guessing so. PCO-1 really should have had some sort of warranty to cover that, but apparently not. Anyway, I let the office know I was still getting bit and the property manager at that time had my new PCO (the contracted one) do a "spot treatment" of the baseboards at the head of the bed, and he also got the back of the headboard (not the full bed/frame). Apparently she didn't want to call back PCO-1 because it was too expensive?

Now seeing bites again, paired with some definite blood/fecal staining on my sheets and headboard. PCO-2 says he will do it for about $110 per room (I have two that will be treated) which seems like a good deal to me... to be honest I'd pay it myself if they made me. I am so eager to be free of these monsters.

Sounds like next week he will be positively dousing all my bedroom furniture, and also has something he can treat the mattress and pillows with. I forget the brand name, but apparently it has a pretty powerful knockdown. I liked the sounds of that.

8. freakedoutandbroke

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Mar 24 2010 15:02:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, talking to the PCO2, he DID find a live (but dying) bedbug when he inspected. All this time I'd been thinking we've only seen one live bug. He must be pretty good to have found it because I am not finding anything in my inspection and I am tearing that room apart! (sockets, baseboards, carpet edges, all crevices and cracks of my furniture)

BTW, it would be pretty unlikely that they'd hide in my houseplants, right? I'm looking them over a bit, but I just don't think that'd be their place of choice.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081