Do I stay or do I go?

(3 posts)
  1. paranoidmom2b

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 13:31:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm back to the forum after 2 years of feeling like I had conquered bed bug phobia. Alas, the old friend is back.
    We're supposed to go on a family vacation this summer to a huge condominium resort in Florida. My in-laws booked unit 521. Unit 525 had a confirmed case of bed bugs according to Tripadvisor (I saw a comment about it-emailed the property manager-the they said it was treated and taken care of with no problems since). There is one unit between my scheduled unit, and the unit with a history of bb's. Am I taking an unreasonable risk by going? Would you go?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 13:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would explain to the resort that you have a serious concern over bedbugs and ask if they will either move you or put assurances that if you find an issue on arrival they will be prepared to move you without any fuss.

In prep for the trip refresh your inspection skills, get ready to document any signs and consider using Passive Monitors when you stay to document any issue before it gets taken home.

Leave the luggage outside and inspect thoroughly with an emergency set of clothes bagged and ready should you need to shower and change.

I often pick my Manhattan hotels based on ones notorious for bedbugs because it keeps me sharp on arrival and I would rather stay at a place you can’t claim “no, we have never had bedbugs here, were not that kind of hotel”.

So in short the TripAdvisor report makes me no more likely to search than I would any hotel because I ALWAYS avoid where possible by always inspecting.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. paranoidmom2b

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Mar 12 2019 14:50:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the quick response, David. My in-laws booked the place (and they're treating us to this trip-which I'm very thankful for), so I don't feel as if I can ask them to find a new unit. I will most definitely speak up if I find something upon inspection.

I will take your advice about taking a passive monitor WITH me and popping it on the bed. I use them at home, but always thought 3-4 nights wouldn't be enough to catch any bugs so I never thought to take one on a trip.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,530 posts in 47,701 topics over 147 months by 21,020 of 21,346 members. Latest: pray4mojo, yassine, tsm