Do I need to get another treatment

(6 posts)
  1. Laurennyc84

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 7:04:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been dealing with bedbugs for almost a year now.

I have had several treatments a thought they were gone until this following Christmas. The exterminator could not find the issue has he sees not sign of infestation but I was still seein bugs and getting bit on my couch. He told me to get rid of my couch and I did. I finally stopped getting bit and seeing nymph bed bugs, but then I started seeing adult unfed bed bugs.

I found 2 in the course of three weeks and within that time the exterminator came back twice and was still baffled. We discovered that it was my neighbor downstairs with the problem.

I was told he was getting treated. Supposedly he was treated on Monday this week. I saw a live dead bug upon returning from work on my wall that same day. I was told to wait as the apt below just got treated and my apt was just sprayed a couple days before. It has been a week and I just saw another unfed bug crawling on my bathroom floor this morning. I have not been bit since I got rid of my couch a month ago and all my belongings are still bagged up as I was going to follow the 55 day rule.

Do I need to get treated again?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 10:48:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As a general rule you should not be treating more frequently than at 14 - 21 day intervals when using a chemical based treatment strategy as you need to take into account he life cycle of bedbugs.

Ideally when you have two adjoining units you co-ordinate treatment between the two so that the heavier is treated a day or two before the other to minimize the risk of spreading the infestations, in short turning the tap off slow the amount of bailing you need to do.

I would strongly suggest you read the FAQs and useful tools if you have not done so already so you will understand what you can do to sensible supplement the efforts of your pest controller.

Its a shame to hear that they did not think to check with the neighbour sooner though, it may have saved you the cost of the lost furniture.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 17:33:44
    #

Login to Send PM

You still need treatment and it can be done sooner than 14 or 21 days depending on product selection and activity.

I've never understood the logic behind waiting times because of eggs. How does one know when eggs are laid or going to hatch? Why are the eggs not killed on the first visit?

You need proper dust work done to reduce/eliminate the migration from the infested unit and that should or should of been done before addressing the unit below. (There's my 70% thought about them moving up) I would always treat the less infested apartment first so that I can properly protect that unit before dealing with the more infested one. Just makes more sense.

You can't be finding this many live bugs in your place and hope that a dried liquid residual will solve your problem. Too much really needs to be discussed to know for sure if my thoughts are correct so I can't go into it further but I'm hoping your last PCO used great products and was thorough.

Forgive the typos - on my phone.

Regards,
    John Furman
    Boot A Pest, Inc.
    New York's "Best Bed Bug Exterminator" NY Magazine

4. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 21 2014 19:40:41
    #

Login to Send PM

The exterminator is wrong in telling you to throw away your couch for 2 reasons: 1 Throwing away furniture that is in otherwise good condition is unnecessary, as the furniture can certainly be treated while inside the apartment, and 2, in the case of apartment buildings with indoor hallways separating the units moving infested furniture through the hallway can cause some bugs to possibly dislodge and fall onto the floor where they will quickly crawl into other units in their search for food and shelter.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  5. Laurennyc84

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 28 2014 20:22:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for your feedback

I was just notified that the unit below me was sprayed and it looks like they removed a lot of clutter from his apartment although I may be speculating as the floor is just dirty outside his door now.

Since my posting a week ago, I have not seen any bugs, but I did come home to another unfed male bedbug on my ceiling. I am guessing this is due to the treatment that was done in the unit below since I hear they tend to migrate up.

I can't get treated until next Saturday as I am unable to take the time off work. Although I am worried about the bugs I haven't caught creeping into my apartment, can I take it as a good sign that I have not been bitten in about two months (crossing my fingers) and will this last treatment finally do the job?

6. Laurennyc84

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 28 2014 20:24:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Also dust work can not be done to my walls as they are completely solid since I have a old building. Hey are unable to drill.

I also have been living out of garbage bags for the past two months until I am sure the problem is resolved. I also spray my bed and all over my apartment with 91% rubbing alcohol in the meantime

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus