1. 766315

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 18 2016 11:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Will try to keep this brief.

Last week I was at a resort (which is only two years old) in Cuba for a cousin's wedding. Checked the room for bedbugs. Didn't notice anything on the bed, nor did I get any unexplained bites while there - plenty of mosquito and sand mite/ sand flea/ no-see-um bites but nothing bedbuggy. My cousin who was two floors down and on the completely opposite side of the building said she bedbugs them but in our room, nothing. I kept all of my clothes zipped in my suitcase and put nothing in drawers, just in case. We were 48 people there for the wedding and no one else seems concerned or seem to have any complaints. I did not experience bedbugs whilst there at all.

Got back to the family home Sunday in Toronto and washed all of my things. I'm now back at my own apartment in the USA. All of my old mozzie and sandmite bites are acting up but I'm now paranoid as hell that I might have bedbugs. I keep feeling itchy. I noticed a new bump today but it went away almost immediately after I spent a hysterical hour doing research, stripping and inspecting my mattress, looking through all drawers. I bought that Bug Beacon thing and a mattress and box spring cover. I have no idea if I have them. I do have an irregular pattern of bites but they don't look like what I see online, and they are all in areas where I noticed swelling from mozzies (but I think they were so swollen when I got them that I didn't notice that there were multiple on top of each other). Most are on my legs and they are VERY far apart. There are maybe a 15 between my two legs. None seem new except for the one I saw today. I have inspected my mattress and sheets daily and see no signs. Is there anything I can do in the meantime while I wait for this beacon and mattress covers to arrive?

My father and I stayed in the same room at the hotel and he hasn't experienced anything, nor have my godparents or my other cousins and other guests from the wedding in the same building.

I am a graduate student on a very tight budget so I'm hesitant to call in any professionals this early.

2. BBNL

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 25 2016 13:04:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert.

If you're really paranoid it probably helps for you to dry your clothes in high heat, which kills bb's. But maybe it's nothing at all.

3. 766315

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 25 2016 13:56:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Got the Bedbug Beacon and so far no bugs turning up!

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 25 2016 16:48:02
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI the Beacon works best in an empty room (no competition). I did find a nymph in mine once but then again I had climbups under the bed legs at that time.

Keep running the beacon and check your mattress and your bed carefully. The buggers are really hard to find unless one has a trained eye. It doesn't hurt to look at various pictures of bed bugs at different life stages, cast skins and fecal stains (gross as it may be) so you have a better idea what you're looking for.

Don't focus too much on your bites because nobody can tell you what kind of insect caused them.

Your skin could be itchy due to sun exposure which can also make it drier and that can itch. If nobody in a group of 48 has noticed anything, including someone who shared a room with you, that's a good sign

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45