Do I have bed bugs?

(7 posts)
  1. Bedbugscared

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 7 2013 3:26:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I am new to this forum and scared to death, please help!

Around 3months ago I woke in the morning to find itchy bites (around 10-12) on my legs, back, upper arms and chest. My husband was not showing signs. Thought nothing of it and they eventually went away. About 5 weeks later, the same thing happened. Again they went away and my hubby was unaffected.
    Yesterday morning I woke with around 8 bites, they do seem to be in groups.

I freaked out, wondering if it could be bed bugs, so yesterday I washed all the bedding, and bought a new duvet and pillows.
    We have an Ikea mattress on a metal bed that sits on slats (so no box spring). This is covered by a mattress tipper that is like a 2" thick mini mattress.

I meticulously checked the topper and mattress seams and found nothing. We've had no staining on the sheets and have seen absolutely no bugs anywhere.

We removed the topper and the only thing we noticed was where the depressions in the mattress are from the stitching, was piles of very dry black dirt/like material. We didn't think to wet it to see if it turned red. I vacuumed the total mattress and there is absolutely no staining on it whatsoever.

We then vacuumed the whole upstairs, concentrating on our room and going round all cracks and edges of the carpet with the attachment.
    We then went outside and emptied the contents of the Hoover bag onto newspaper and still didn't find anything either dead or alive.

The only thing we noticed was on the bed frame where the slats sit , was very dusty. However, none of this was dark like droppings and we sucked it up no problem - it also left NO staining.

This morning I'm really itchy from one bite on my back but I'm not sure if its new or one that's re-activated by me constantly scratching as I'm freaked out and paranoid!

Questions
    Does this sound as though it could be bed bugs?
    Is it possible for me to have only 3 instances of bites in 3 months?
    Our cat sleeps on the bottom of our bed, would he be bitten by bedbugs? (I'm pretty sure he doesn't have fleas) Would bed bugs stay on the cat?
    Do the droppings always stain mattresses? We have none of this, just the very dry round black balls.
    I know someone with a steam cleaner - would this kill bugs in the mattress, or can they burrow inside the mattress?

Please please, any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm not sleeping now and my work is going to suffer
    Thanks .....

2. whybedbug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 7 2013 3:38:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. I'm new here too and I can't sleep either.
    It doesn't sound like you have bed bugs
    It is possible that bed bugs might bite your cat most of the time, maybe that's why you only have 3 instances. I dont think bed bugs like to stay on the host
    Not sure about the steamer. You could just cover your mattress to either trap the exisiting bed bugs and prevent others from getting in.
    I ain't no expert, but I hope my answers would somehow make you feel less stressful. I'm sure tmr real experts will address your questions

3. Bedbugscared

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 7 2013 3:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much it's good to know there are others out there who care.

Trouble is, because my husband is showing no signs. He isn't taking it seriously and doesn't share my concern.

I used to love my bed - long lay ins and late night tv. Now I can't wait to get out of the darn thing!

I hope you get on okay
    Thanks

4. whybedbug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 7 2013 3:56:17
    #

Login to Send PM

my wife thought it was funny cuz I'm the only one who got bit, but after we found the bbs and sees me not getting sleep for 3 days. She takes it seriously now.
    Your husband is among the 30% of people who dont react to bites at all ( assuming you actually have bbs)
    Since ur awake why don't you go hunt them, they are most active at about 4am to right before sunrise. Bring a clear tape with u in case you find it, tape it and put in a ziplock bag, take pics and post in here for the pros to confirm.

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 7 2013 8:25:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I am not an expert either. I have read the faqs and bedbugs do not do well with hair, so pets are usually a second choice. Little black balls sounds like fleas tome, but I'm not an expert.

You really can't tell anything from bites.

If this is fleas, there are flea traps to confirm.

I also had a bedbugs scare, and it wasn't bedbugs. By reading the faqs and implementing some procedures, I believe its helped prevent them.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  6. Bedbugscared

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 7 2013 8:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - I'm starting to feel a little better but I've still been going round the house like a mad thing all day vacuuming everything then emptying it and examining the particles outside in the garden! (Heaven knows what the neighbours would think if they saw me!)
    If its not been vacuumed, it's been put in the dryer on high, or washed on 60 degrees. If I've not been able to do that I've ironed it.

I know none of these things will make any difference if we have actually got the little buggers but it makes me feel better.

Both you guys say you have worried about bedbugs, I am interested in your stories and 'theyareoutthere' you say your scare turned out not to be bedbugs- what did it turn out to be?

Thanks for your comments, they're keeping me going, you don't realise till you have a scare how this affects you.

I am in the UK by the way.

Please anyone else have any ideas??

Many thanks

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Apr 7 2013 15:21:32
    #

Login to Send PM

In my case, its been unclear. I did just travel to high risk cities in the u.s. with no protocols, left my suitcase in the bedroom for a few days.

I've always had allergies and truly sensitive skin...limited skin care and makeup. So I still get one or two or what looks like clusters of bites...almost always on feet and ankles, waistband, braband, back of knees...sometime chest. However, not really face, arms. So, its probably not bbs after three years off and on :).

My ob gyn things its related to night sweats since I'm menopausal.

I have a passive and outside clothes and shoes vs inside ones. I've probably gone overboard. Mr Cain also has some protocols for using passives and steaming to eliminate a new infestation if you ask nicely and offer him nondairy desserts...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82