Do I have bed bugs?

(3 posts)
  1. y2jasmine

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 19:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

A year or so ago I had a boyfriend that had bed bugs and so I know a bit about them. I also know they multiply like crazy and that I normally react very badly to the bites. When I slept at his place I would wake up with 5-6 bites a night.

About 6 months ago I moved into an apartment. About a month after moving in I noticed that some mornings I would wake up with a bite or two. Then things would be fine for a couple of weeks and then I would get bit again. This is still happening. The bites occur at the most once a week. There is usually one to 2 bites, sometimes three. They occur on my arm and back. I have trouble determining my reaction as I react bad to all bites. Basically they welt up and eventually a yellow liquid oozes out. They are itchy and sore with swelling. My current boyfriend who sleeps over regularly for the last 5 months has only said once that he found 3 bites on his arm but all they did was swell up a bit and were just a bit itchy.

Does this sound like bed bugs? I am confused. They don't seem to be multiplying as I am not getting the large amount of bites as at my ex-bf's place. I would have thought after 5 months that I would have more bites more often by now.

2. BugsMustDie

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Sep 15 2011 6:36:07
    #

Login to Send PM

It's difficult to know because everyone reacts differently to bed bug bites and there are other things that can cause reactions that are not bed bugs.

Read the FAQs to brush up on your bed bug knowledge and start looking for other evidence - blood stains, fecal streaks, cast skins. It may not be a bad idea to invest in a passive monitor.

Good luck

3. mysterybugged

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Nov 19 2011 22:36:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having a heck of a time diagnosing mystery bites that sound a bit like Y2Jasmine's. I thought at first I was getting a humongous reaction to mosquito bites: the first one grew to 2 inches across, on a shoulder. Now they get bigger, sometimes: I have had one as large as my entire hand...although, if they ARE bb's, perhaps the "breakfast, lunch, dinner" pattern got swallowed up in the horrendous swelling. I have tried to find what they are (it's been happening since June, a bite every week to several bites in one night...) I have made home made insect interceptors, which seem to help, and done DE in the carpet, and got rid of stuff and encased pillows and mattress, bagged stuff in Ziplocs and isolated the bed - and I don't kid around with the isolation...It all seems to have helped, and now, when I get a bite, I can usually tell what part of my regimen has broken down. My husband, the stepson and the dog all insist that they are totally unaffected, but I don't depend on that. It could be BBs, but- no bloodstains, no bugs in the interceptors, the bed gets cleaned every week and I have washed, dried and isolated almost everything I wear and sleep with, weekly. My, it's annoying. I hate vacuuming. I have never vacuumed this often in my life.

My question now, is there any chance bb's could hide in boots (where it's dark) and bite you while you wear them? Something is. I wore winter boots this morning for 4 hours and I am sporting half a dozen of the nastiest, itchiest most swollen bites you ever saw, shared between both feet.The boots promptly went into the oven at 170 degrees for 20 minutes, and into the big plastic ziploc after that.

I wish I knew what these were... I have been researching sites on bug bites, mite bites, every nibble under the sun. Bedbugs still seem to be the best bet.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams