Do both types of mothballs work?

(4 posts)
  1. ohbugger

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Mar 1 2009 20:09:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Do both the type of mothballs work? I forget the different ingredients but there are two different kinds. Yes, I know it's off label - but after speaking to three different PCOs I know they do kill the little creeps.

2. BostonPCT

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 17:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Never heard they really work myself.

3. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 10:31:31
    #

Login to Send PM

They both work according to what I have read, however, the newer ones (not the napthalene ones) once you put the item out in fresh air outside, the odor will disipate and go away, versus the old type, where you know, the odor hangs around forever. I believe things need to be sealed for a minimum of several weeks and in small quanities of stuff with several packets.
    You might want to go over to Bed Bug Central and work your way through some of the videos that Jeff White a research entomologist has put together over at Bed Bug TV.
    He is a very nice, and very informative fellow. http://tv.bedbugcentral.com/
    Perhaps you will find something there, if not, do a search here for mothballs for more info on how. I bought the new kind and never ended up using them, but my plan was to put a small electrronic, 3 or 4 bags of moth balls, and seal in a trash bag, then place in a plastic storage bin, seal with tape, and stick it outside for a few months...lol
    I hope you find the info that you are looking for.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 19:32:08
    #

Login to Send PM

ohbugger - 1 day ago  » 
    Do both the type of mothballs work?

While we're on the topic, I recently did some "mothballing" and used the 5 gallon orange "Homer Buckets" available at Home Depot for about $4. (Can't say if they kill BBs, as I didn't find any dead ones. They do kill moths, though.) They seal solidly enough so that I couldn't detect the odor of naphthalene ("old fashioned" mothballs) when the canisters were shut. If you use these in a BB situation, note that the containers do have some nooks are ridges where BBs could potentially hide or harbor.

Ci

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,704 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323