Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Do Bed Bugs "hunt" in packs/groups?

(6 posts)
  1. buckfugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 10:37:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Bare with me as I lay out a timeline. Today is September 7th.

From July 9th to July 21st I was getting bit sporadically and found an alive single adult female bed bug (on the 21st)

After trying to fight it ourselves we finally caved and got professional help. The 1st treatment was August 8th.

August 10th I get 6 bites on my legs.

I go bite-free until waking up August 21st where I have a total of 11 bites on my legs.

August 23rd is our 2nd spray bed beg treatment.

I get a small number of bites every night from Aug 28th-Aug 30th.

September 5th, I wake up with 10 bites on my legs and 3 on my arms.

The 3rd treatment was yesterday. All the while, the ONLY evidence I have found was that single adult female bed bug. No castings, no feces. The bed bug inspector hasn't found a single piece of evidence at all in his 4 times here. I know a bed bug will bite 3-5 times in a line on you. But the times where I get bit a lot (Sept 5th, Aug 21st, Aug 10th) if it was bed bugs, it would have had to be more than 1 bug, right? If I do still have bed bugs, they are all on a very similar feeding schedule. And so that's my question, do bed bugs often feed in a group?

Or maybe they are mosquito bites? I was outside a good portion of the evening of Sept 4th. Or maybe some other bug? I did the soap water under a light test and I've ruled out fleas. If Im still getting bit by bed bugs they are SUPER ninja bed bugs to have not left behind any evidence.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 10:55:35
    #

Login to Send PM

So you were treated without the PCO finding any bed bugs? The only ID was by you?
    The 3 bites in a row myth is just that, your mind trying to make order out of random.

3. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 11:01:01
    #

Login to Send PM

The timeline from 1st treatment to lots of bites is about how long it would take eggs to grow/hatch and new 1st instars to feed. Same with the 2nd treatment to the 10 bites... the egg/life cycle and amount of time it takes for them to hatch and all is why 3 treatments 2 weeks apart is recommended- it allows the eggs to hatch, and newest bugs to die, plus some may have run off and hid during 1 or 2 treatments, so having 3 of them helps ensure you're getting them all. Also, there's no way to know if it was 1 bug or 10- I personally had a line of 7 bites going up my arm, and based on how much I move in my sleep and the bugs cowardly habits of running when there's movement, then trying to feed again when it's stopped tells me those 7 were most likely all 1 bug.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  4. buckfugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 11:24:49
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 26 minutes ago  » 
    So you were treated without the PCO finding any bed bugs? The only ID was by you?
    The 3 bites in a row myth is just that, your mind trying to make order out of random.

He personally said "for bed bug problems on a scale of 1 to 10, this is a 0.5" but said if we wanted we could get a treatment. We did it for peace of mind. The bug I found was 100% a bed bug so it's not like there wasn't a presence in the house.

5. buckfugs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 11:28:18
    #

Login to Send PM

psychologically_messed_up - 24 minutes ago  » 
    The timeline from 1st treatment to lots of bites is about how long it would take eggs to grow/hatch and new 1st instars to feed. Same with the 2nd treatment to the 10 bites... the egg/life cycle and amount of time it takes for them to hatch and all is why 3 treatments 2 weeks apart is recommended- it allows the eggs to hatch, and newest bugs to die, plus some may have run off and hid during 1 or 2 treatments, so having 3 of them helps ensure you're getting them all. Also, there's no way to know if it was 1 bug or 10- I personally had a line of 7 bites going up my arm, and based on how much I move in my sleep and the bugs cowardly habits of running when there's movement, then trying to feed again when it's stopped tells me those 7 were most likely all 1 bug.

Yeah, the egg hatching is a decent idea. My case is different and I should've noted but the bites on my legs were always kinda isolated. Like 1 or two were close together but the rest were 10+ inches apart, hence why I thought multiple bugs. Who knows.

I'm just hoping since there has been poison present (with what he says is a 30 day potency) for the past 6 weeks that there are no longer any adults left, let alone a egg laying female adult.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 7 2017 14:51:58
    #

Login to Send PM

To answer the main question, bed bugs don't cooperate and hunt in packs. There might one that feeds and maybe another day it could be 3 feeding. When bed bugs are feeding and something disturbs them, they might just stop and then resume - don't always run away. They might feed to repletion at one place and not have to withdraw and try again, but sometimes they do. Skin lesions from feeding might look linear, but also bugs don't have to stay on the skin surface, but hold onto fabric near the surface and extend the proboscis to feed. A few bugs in this position also makes you think that feeding is linear. There are linearly arranged bites on my hand because the bugs were holding onto their paper substrate and extended the proboscis to feed on me.
    1. Cimex in a vial by louento.pix, on Flickr
    2. Cimex in a vial, close-up by louento.pix, on Flickr
    and this is also in a line due to the bugs holding onto cardboard while feeding (on their backs this time).
    jar & feeding, mostly adults, labium straight by louento.pix, on Flickr

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,662 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me