Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Do bed bugs bite underneath clothes?

(15 posts)
  1. fmlimscared

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Mar 25 2019 18:42:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Most of my bites are underneath my clothes. I wear long pants tucked into long socks and long sleeved sweaters/shirts. I have found one live bed bug and one dead one. Is there any consensus on whether or not bed bugs crawl beneath clothes to bite their victims?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Mar 25 2019 18:51:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No they dont.

Please don't take this the wrong way but there is a search function in the top right hand corner of the screen. I have written about this already int he last 24 hours and its covered int he static content of the site as well.

While I appreciate the static content can see like a lot to read but it is the best of the content of the site and should always be the place you look for answers before asking.

If you are only getting skin reactions under clothes while sleeping its triply unlikely to be bedbugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. fmlimscared

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Mar 25 2019 19:03:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I have searched the forums endlessly. Based on the responses there really was no consensus on whether or not they can or do. I’ve read from experts responses that they prefer to feed on the nearest uncovered skin possible, however I’m not sure that this means they would not crawl under if necessary. There are many people on this forum that have had bed bugs and have been bitten on covered skin. How would you explain that?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Mar 25 2019 19:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Bedbugs detect their food via two signals. The initial cue is CO2 which indicates the presence and direction of food. Once close they hone in on the feed site using near infra red vision, a little like night vision technology. Combine this with the fact that it is not their nature to crawl onto their food they are extremely unlikely to ever crawl under anything to bite anyone.

Why do some people report skin reactions under clothes? Well to answer a question with a question why do so many people assume they have bedbugs when there is no supporting evidence?

If you don’t have live samples, cast skins or faecal traces to confirm the assumption of bedbugs will often lead people down a fruitless path for long periods of time. If you think you have bedbugs look for the confirming signs and prove it.

David

5. fmlimscared

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Mar 25 2019 20:49:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I know that I 100% have had bedbugs. I caught a live one crawling on my pillow 2 months ago and had bites under my clothes. Showed it to the PCO and he confirmed it as a bed bug. Now I’m just wondering if my bed bugs are gone if I have no current evidence (casings, feces, etc). except for the same type of bites every single night.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Mon Mar 25 2019 21:25:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I am not saying you did not have bedbugs. I am saying it is not in their nature of behaviour to crawl under anything ever because they are attracted to the exposed skin first and foremost because it is the stronger signal.

Now in some cases people have claimed bites only under clothes and have never seen a bedbug or a faecal trace, these assumptions are often incorrect. I mentioned this because you brought up “there are many people on the forum that”, while this is currently an unqualified statement I am open to you providing links to confirm that opinion.

David

7. fmlimscared

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Mar 26 2019 14:27:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Here’s one example, the second commenter: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/do-bb-s-feed-under-clothes

8. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Mar 26 2019 14:58:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I remember that poster, she was mistaken on several levels and from what I recall never was able to produce a sample.

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Mar 26 2019 16:16:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Both the OP of that thread and the second responder on the post were not able to confirm bedbugs, in fact the second responder confirms in another post they had the all clear and it was never bedbugs.

Open to looking at an example where someone reports bites under clothes and has confirming signs of bedbugs.

One out of two is just not going to support your argument here, in fact it reinforces my point.

David

10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Mar 26 2019 18:27:57
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not beyond the realm of possibility that your skin could have relatively unnoticeable issues that become agitated from clothing brushing against them.

11. fmlimscared

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Mar 26 2019 18:31:00
    #

Login to Send PM

So you’re implying that the bed bugs I had weren’t biting me? That doesn’t make any sense.

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Mar 26 2019 20:23:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I can’t see where anyone is implying that. If you care to clarify that statement I think it would help to understand your perspective.

To be as clear as I can from my side I am aware of situations where people can become sensitive to other things post exposure to bedbugs. Sometimes looking at skin reactions alone you would mistakinglu believe that the current cause was the same as the previous. To avoid people falling into that false logic we always confirm infestations.

As with the second respondent in the link you quoted they had assumed they had bedbugs based on the symptoms when in fact they were cleared through inspection, monitoring and K9.

If you do have bedbugs confirm that with signs, if you won’t do that then be honest for your own sake and the sake of others who are also trying to work out what’s going on and say “I assume I have bedbugs but I can’t confirm it”. That first step is so important and despite the tone you have decided to take with me I do sincerely hope to see a resolution to your problem.

David

13. fmlimscared

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Mar 26 2019 21:12:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I have posted evidence of my bed bugs, it’s in my first post on my account. You as well as another poster confirmed that it was a bed bug. I’m confused as to why most of my bites from the beginning of my bed bug sighting have been under my clothes (I’m always cold so I always wear long clothes to bed. My bites are the same these past two months. I truly wish I never saw that bug, it’s caused me a lot of turmoil. I honestly do appreciate your and everyone else’s insight.

14. fmlimscared

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Mar 30 2019 1:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's two thread in which Nobugsonme, the host of this site, who has had bed bugs, says that he/she has been bitten when fully clothed in bed.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/are-they-biting-though-your-clothes

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/can-bbs-bite-through-clothes

15. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Sat Mar 30 2019 6:53:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It helps not to obfuscate the terms possibility and probability.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14