Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

DO BED BUGS ALWAYS HARBOR WHERE THEY SHED

(10 posts)
  1. i hate buggs

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2011 14:51:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there, My son and I only stay in his bedroom and we havent slept or stayed in the frontroom since this nightmare started so my question is DO BED BUGS ALWAYS HARBOR WHERE THEY SHED because today I moved a lamp and found some skins and I only moved that lamp once before (since we found out we had bb) when I painted the front room about one month ago and I didnt find any then...........so why would I find them now? My cats used to sleep up there but they dont anymore???? Is that the reason the castings are?

Thank you

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2011 15:05:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The answer is yes and no. bear with me and you will understand.

Bedbugs usually shed in or close to refugia which will usually comprise of faecal traces, possibly cast skins and live samples if they are at home.

However due to the highly mobile nature of cast skins they can easily be blown from one location to the next on currents of air. Therefore when you see cast skins with no faecal traces you have to also consider that they were blown there or that they may have become elecrostatically attracted to the items in that location.

The electrostatic issue is usually connected with plastics such as plastic bags which seem to have a high attraction to the cast skins which can carry a charge as they are organic matter.

Therefore in your case the cast skins without faecal traces means its an area to observe over the next few weeks and if there are faecal traces have the issue investigated.

I hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. betterdays

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Dec 13 2011 16:29:22
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not a good idea to move your location when you find bedbugs. This is because they will just follow you to wherever you are now sleeping, and then colonize that bedroom. It is very easy to spread a bedbug infestation all around your whole house this way. It's really unnerving to think you have to sleep in a room with bedbugs already in it, but this is the best way to eradicate them and not spread them. You can get traps for the legs of your bed to stop them from climbing up, instead.

4. i hate buggs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 7:03:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 15 hours ago  » 
    Hi,
    The answer is yes and no. bear with me and you will understand.
    Bedbugs usually shed in or close to refugia which will usually comprise of faecal traces, possibly cast skins and live samples if they are at home.
    However due to the highly mobile nature of cast skins they can easily be blown from one location to the next on currents of air. Therefore when you see cast skins with no faecal traces you have to also consider that they were blown there or that they may have become elecrostatically attracted to the items in that location.
    The electrostatic issue is usually connected with plastics such as plastic bags which seem to have a high attraction to the cast skins which can carry a charge as they are organic matter.
    Therefore in your case the cast skins without faecal traces means its an area to observe over the next few weeks and if there are faecal traces have the issue investigated.
    I hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Thank you David................I thought I seen something when I opened the doors of the armoire the other day but I do have spiders (i dont mind them at all and never had) and left it at that. So after my discovery I put double sided tape on the top of the armoire and lightly sprinkled de in and around it also.............but I know it has to bb because how else could they end up under the lamp???? I removed it only once before since we found out we had bb (start of july 2010)................but I never seen black spots????? weird or what ??? but I did a check with a laser at 620am (still dark) in and around it and saw nothing.............my fingers are forever crossed but started to hurt with these em effers.

5. i hate buggs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 7:17:40
    #

Login to Send PM

betterdays - 14 hours ago  » 
    It's not a good idea to move your location when you find bedbugs. This is because they will just follow you to wherever you are now sleeping, and then colonize that bedroom. It is very easy to spread a bedbug infestation all around your whole house this way. It's really unnerving to think you have to sleep in a room with bedbugs already in it, but this is the best way to eradicate them and not spread them. You can get traps for the legs of your bed to stop them from climbing up, instead.

Hi betterdays.......................I know I found out the hard way. I have only slept and lived in my son's room since we found out we had them at the start of july. The last time and forth time I got sprayed (oct 11) the guy told my super I didnt have them I must have fleas. He found no evidence so I thought ok fleas now let me treat my 3 cats and 1 dog.....................still getting bite from oct 12 on as of yesterday (havent check today yet just got up).................I have painted my room, my son's room and the frontroom and I vacuum and Murphy oil soap my apartment all the time..............I just dont know when the end of this nightmare will end but I am in the mist of checking all the my stuff and putting the in tote bins with ddvp strips in them then after Christmas I am getting sprayed again and I will make sure I am there to talk to the pco guy and show my evidence.

6. i hate buggs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 7:22:23
    #

Login to Send PM

ps David.................my sister says that one of my cats must of got one or an egg on them from where I sleep then went to the top of the armoire lol lol I said "really" but I think they were attracted there because all 3 cats would curl up together and sleep there in the day time and the bb were attracted to the c.o. coming from them ??? ok everybody stop laughing lol lol but why else would they go there ??? It just baffles my mind.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 7:45:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi i hate buggs,

The lack of faecal would make me think its not an active refugia and more likley to be an electrostatic deposition of cast skins especially if you have a cluster of them and no other signs.

They are certainly smart creatures which is why its best to deploy smart solutions. I recommend cleaning and recording followed by a check up 5 days later rather than stop treatment with DE or tape. If you are not careful you will end up living between spot treated patches and so much about getting over bedbugs is getting into sensible non over obsessing routines.

I am not saying you are at the top of the sloop to obsession but its far better to plan and be logical rather than sticking plasters on the walls of the dam.

I am hoping to take a camera with me to do some relaxation information on bedbugs when I finally get a vacation in Jan. I am of to a place that only gets 5cm of rain a year so I know the weather will be good but lets hope I have better luck than KQ over the unwanted room mates.

David

8. i hate buggs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 8:21:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much David, you and this site has took so much weight off my shoulders with the hell I and many are going through...............after I read what you wrote I realized when I placed the lamp on the table which had green garbage bags on them for 3 months and its right by the window and the lamp has felt on the bottom of it and with static electricity it makes so much sense (and with not one black mark) but I will keep an eye on it though..............David, I wish you a Happy Christmas and an awesome holiday.....................K

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 8:54:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi i hate buggs,

Its one of those Matrix moments, what will really kick you later is how I knew it was a garbage bag you placed on the table.

Answer: Zen and the art of bedbugs

Take care.

David

10. i hate buggs

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Dec 14 2011 9:57:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David.....................lol lol when I was reading your reply to my answer it was like you had esp or something and you just "knew" !!!!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,891 posts in 50,057 topics over 155 months by 21,882 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019