Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Do bed bug bites always itch?

(10 posts)
  1. made0fscars

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 12:57:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been worried about bed bugs for a while now, and all over my body I get red bumps. Some resemble spots and some look more like bites.

My question is do bed bug bites always itch? I just found one on my neck, it is sore to touch but I had to look in the mirror to notice it.. It does not itch at all..

The other ones I've had and been concerned about look and feel a lot more like large pimples as opposed to bites.

I don't think any other insect could have caused bites now as it is cold in February and I usually only get bitten in the summer. (I usually have a very strong reaction to other bites like swelling and itching)

What are the main characteristics of bed bug bites?

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 13:13:47
    #

Login to Send PM

In my case, bites never itched, but I would get a histamine reaction -- just a swelling at the bite site that would disappear within the hour. It has been this way for 15 years.
    If you look at pictures of reactions to bed bug bites, you will see many variations on the appearance.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 13:23:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had no noticeable reaction to bites, no itch, no swelling. Only rarely do I even feel anything during feeding. I've seen some pretty intense reactions on others.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 13:31:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There is a green sticky all about bites here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post

It covers just about all you could want to know.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  5. made0fscars

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 13:51:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I react badly to all other insect bites I ever get in the summer etc. Do you think this would increase my likelihood of having an itchy and big swelling reaction to bites by bed bugs? Or does that factor not matter at all?
    :S

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 13:59:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No it has not bearing at all.

The simple fact is that people become more reactive to "holes in their skin" (insect or otherwise) in the summer months for a variety of reasons including temperature.

As I am fairly certain you are UK based it may interest you to know calls this week are up 50% on last week simply by virtue of the fact that Sunday was a better day in London than we have had in a while and experience tells us that skin reactions are about to start again.

There are those that feel that bedbugs are seasonal but for those who have been collecting data on cases for over 10 years you have enough seasonal data points to know this is not the case. Aside from an increase in exposure events that occurs around holiday seasons there is no seasonal pattern to this pest, it only appears that way because people react less in the cold.

Hope that helps.

David

7. made0fscars

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 14:07:06
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    No it has not bearing at all.
    The simple fact is that people become more reactive to "holes in their skin" (insect or otherwise) in the summer months for a variety of reasons including temperature.
    As I am fairly certain you are UK based it may interest you to know calls this week are up 50% on last week simply by virtue of the fact that Sunday was a better day in London than we have had in a while and experience tells us that skin reactions are about to start again.
    There are those that feel that bedbugs are seasonal but for those who have been collecting data on cases for over 10 years you have enough seasonal data points to know this is not the case. Aside from an increase in exposure events that occurs around holiday seasons there is no seasonal pattern to this pest, it only appears that way because people react less in the cold.
    Hope that helps.
    David

I am UK based yes, I realise there has been a slight rise in the temperature and it's been slightly sunnier but I didn't realise bed bug reactions would be worse in the sun.

Is it possible that people can get bite like lumps that aren't in fact bites at all purely from stressing and worrying about bed bugs?
    I feel as if it is becoming an obsession that is slowly but surely taking over my mental well-being. I found literally no signs of bed bugs during my inspections which I tried to do quite thoroughly with a flashlight etc. I feel like I'm going crazy. The bite like thing on my neck has started me off worrying again, and because bites don't always look or feel a certain way I don't feel reassured in the slightest.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 14:22:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

It is not specifically the sun that causes it, its a complex set of variables but put simply the number of inputs and stimuli to cause skin reactions goes up when it gets warmer. This is not specific to bedbugs as you can get the same with other biting insects but also non insect issues such as carpet beetles and "cable" mites.

Yes as the primer states stress and anxiety can induce reactions. Sometimes its your bodies way to saying "look into the matter sooner rather than later" or "I've been here before and action is only taken when I get lots of skin responses so lets create lots and lots to get action".

As you have already received relies from me and my office today I am going to ask you to re-read the email from Terry and take his suggestions. At the second you are diagnosing based on symptoms and working back, that is not how we confirm bedbugs. We look for the signs and during that inspection if we find nothing there is a chance we will find other things that could be the cause.

You need to either has someone inspect or monitor for confirming signs. The K9 option is not really available with credibility in the UK at this stage.

Hope that helps.

David

9. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 25 2014 20:02:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible that people can get bite like lumps that aren't in fact bites at all purely from stressing and worrying about bed bugs?

yes, this is a psychiatric fact, doctors, therapists and social worker deal with this all the time

this can also be a shared delusion (ie my boyfriend/wife/kid has it too so it's got to be bites) not so, it's a shared delusional disorder

this can also be associative (ie well when I don't sleep at my house I don't have it, so it has to be bugs)not so it's an association, a learned response

the important part is to destroy the erroneous association immediately, by counter talk

oh my god this beg bug bite hurts like hell oh no oh my god bugs oh no (helplessness)

replace with

oh my god this SKIN REACTION is unpleasant, at least it's not from a bug, shrug

the self talk along with some antihistamine (Benadryl, Atarax etc) can cure it

what makes it way worst:

applying insecticide just in case, (the insecticide will increase the skin reaction)
    even DE can irritate the skin
    talking about bed bugs constantly
    reading about bugs and biting bugs on the internet for hours

if it goes on for too long the delusion becomes severe and is akin to delusional parasitosis

nothing you'll say to the person will make them even consider it's not bed bugs (or some other fantasy bug) they react with anger, enter a vicious circle and often lose everything, they also make life especially miserable for those around them

when you monitor for the bed bugs and inspect for them, you have to accept the reality, even if you still have "bites" (skin reaction)

erase the bug link in your brain, the sooner the better

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  10. made0fscars

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Feb 26 2014 4:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

endless_nightmare - 7 hours ago  » 

yes, this is a psychiatric fact, doctors, therapists and social worker deal with this all the time
    this can also be a shared delusion (ie my boyfriend/wife/kid has it too so it's got to be bites) not so, it's a shared delusional disorder
    this can also be associative (ie well when I don't sleep at my house I don't have it, so it has to be bugs)not so it's an association, a learned response
    the important part is to destroy the erroneous association immediately, by counter talk
    oh my god this beg bug bite hurts like hell oh no oh my god bugs oh no (helplessness)
    replace with
    oh my god this SKIN REACTION is unpleasant, at least it's not from a bug, shrug
    the self talk along with some antihistamine (Benadryl, Atarax etc) can cure it
    what makes it way worst:
    applying insecticide just in case, (the insecticide will increase the skin reaction)
    even DE can irritate the skin
    talking about bed bugs constantly
    reading about bugs and biting bugs on the internet for hours
    if it goes on for too long the delusion becomes severe and is akin to delusional parasitosis
    nothing you'll say to the person will make them even consider it's not bed bugs (or some other fantasy bug) they react with anger, enter a vicious circle and often lose everything, they also make life especially miserable for those around them
    when you monitor for the bed bugs and inspect for them, you have to accept the reality, even if you still have "bites" (skin reaction)
    erase the bug link in your brain, the sooner the better

Thank you very much for your reply/advice.

When the obsession started I realised it could potentially be a psychosomatic thing, I have a history of being a hypochondriac and a very health anxious person for 3 years now.

I let these things manifest themselves and now each time I see a new skin bump or even small mark I begin to panic. I knew that thinking about bed bugs/creepy crawlies was enough to give anyone random body itching, However I did not realise that this level of worrying could actually cause bumps on the skin that resemble bites?, I just thought stress and anxiety caused over-active glands and spots/pimples.

You have given me an insight into delusional parasitosis though, and for that I am grateful, although I'm still quite worried about beg bugs, this knowledge should help me a little.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82