Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Do Army tactics work? HELP !

(7 posts)
  1. sistabelle

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 14:30:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I found online a site by the Army that says if you think there are BB's in your things to put them in a black garbage and put them in the sun. The high temp will kill them just like dryer. (for anyone that doesn't know already, i went camping a found out bed bugs BEFORE I brought the stuff in. ONLY found some castings on my LAPTOP INSIDE MY HOUSE !!! I couldn't leave that outside!!)

Also, to put black blankets on top of car and seal it up and the high temp will do it again.

HOw do I find a good professional bug killer? Do I have to show them the bugs before they will spray? How much do they cost? I took the bugs I did find to my vet so she could look them up but she kept them and now she has thrown them away.

Where can you get chemicals to kill them if the professional won't spray? I went to Lowes & Wal MArt for a spectricide (that was named in Army stuff) and no one carries it.

Does boric acid work? I know it works on many other bugs and when we builrt our house we did preventive and put it in all of our walls. But I now know if you live in very humid place the boric acid gets moist and doens't work anymore.

I just talked to my Extension agent and he says he will need a sample also but the VET THREW THE ONES I HAD AWAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He told me I needed a LIVE ONE !!!!! That IS WHAT I AM TRYING TO AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!! I'm in tears here!!!!!

2. theprey

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 18:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi sistabelle,

My PCO recommends putting items outside in black plastic bags, in the hot sun, for several days. He says this is the way people kill bed bugs in tropical climates.

Rather than boric acid, you'll want diatomaceous earth. You can read up on self-treating in the FAQs, but I'd be careful about self-treating before a PCO comes out.

Seapking of, have you thought about having a PCO come out to inspect your place? Sometimes the professionals have better luck finding the bugs.

3. bedbugvictimperthaustralia

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 15 2008 18:53:55
    #

Login to Send PM

It depends if the heat in the bag is going to reach over 45C for a prolonged period of time, AND that the heat is going to penetrate into the areas of the object being heated where bed bugs are hiding.

So short answer: no. Long answer: maybe.

4. fightorflight

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 5:55:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Perthvictim - good response.

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 12:26:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Actually if you want to know what the Armed Forces Pest Management Board have to say
    http://www.afpmb.org/pubs/tims/TG44/TG44.htm

6. buggyinastoria

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 12:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

hello sistabelle,
    i was told by a good PCO (unfortunately not my own) that boric acid is really a bad idea..
    theres a list on this website of chemicals that work..
    I know for sure that Bedlam is good--i found it from the (good) PCO, it was about $16.

But as Im sure everyone will tell you, its hard to treat this without a professional coming in and spraying. They are just too small and hide too well to get rid of them yourself.

And these things just wont die-I have my live one thats been in a shot glass covered with saran wrap, and then in a ziplock bag for 8 days and its still moving around. They are worse than roaches.

7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 16 2008 12:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggyinastoria (no relation). You are correct boric acid is not an effective bed bug material the primary reason is that boric acid acts as a stomach poison for insects that ingest it as they groom themselves and clean their antennae like roaches, ants etc. Cimex with piercing mouth parts do not ingest the material so there is minimal effect as it does not get past the exoskeleton.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,719 posts in 45,076 topics over 137 months by 19,790 of 20,526 members. Latest: diatomaceousearth, Margo, ad44