DIY/homemade monitors: passive, pitfall, & active

(5 posts)
  1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 29 2015 17:16:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Someone was looking for an alternative to ready-made passive monitors. I can't find the thread right now and I figured a new post might help.

We have a thread with alternate passive monitor ideas from Lou Sorkin and P Bello here.

You can read about some popular passive and active commercial monitors in the FAQ on bed bug monitors. There are instructions linked from there for making a homemade pitfall/interceptor style monitor and to instructions for a homemade dry ice (active) monitor.

Note that active bed bug monitors may not work as well in occupied spaces, since they have to compete with a live human.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. WhatBugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 11:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I can attest to the passives (corrugated cardboard) working, and the active ones not working. I put together two active ones using sugar water, yeast and a little bit of bread (yeast need nutrients) to create CO2. Nothing, smelled good, but didn't catch a thing.

WhatBugs?

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 30 2015 11:57:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have photos you can share of bed bug physical evidence on or in your DIY cardboard monitors?

If so, please post and or send them, thanks much !

pjb

4. WhatBugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 14:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately not of any in the monitors. Although I just emailed two pictures of one of the monitors.

The adults are easy to see that they are there, as they are a 'lump' in the otherwise smooth tube.

WhatBugs?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 31 2015 23:12:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Posting them here would be great also. If you don't mind?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,846 posts in 49,561 topics over 153 months by 21,714 of 22,159 members. Latest: Guardian4, bughelpplz, defeatthem45