DIY success: here's what worked for me, plus some rants

(12 posts)
  1. mightywarrior

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Aug 21 2014 21:45:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so proud of myself. I made a plan, implemented it, and now the bugs are gone. Thanks bedbugger.com for all the great information!

Steam + silica dust + "optimizing furniture" ala David Cain + a bottle of Sterifab next to the bed

That combination worked great for me. I didn't throw out my mattress, but I did discard the boxsprings and replaced them with slats. Also, I took up the wall-to-wall carpeting, which I had been wanting to do anyways. Not sure how much, if at all, the carpet removal contributed to my results. Oh, and I did NOT at any time try to isolate the bed, beyond just clearing clutter and that kind of thing.

Some thoughts:

I think people on this site go way over-board with the packtites and extreme laundry sessions and all that. Of course it's a good idea to bag up and launder everything (sheets, blankets, whatever) that's ON THE BED and under it. But after you've cleared the bedbug zone (the immediate area of your bed), just stop and take a deep breath! We don't have time/energy to do crazy obsessive sterilizing of everything we own, do we? Anyways I think it's not necessary. If, by chance, a stray bug or two happens to be outside of the bedbug zone, I'm pretty sure it doesn't want to be so far away from food. Just calmly accept it: within 3 days, the one or two outliers (if there are any) will get hungry. At which point the bug(s) will come to your bed (where you should be sleeping nightly). And, soon after, die because either, (a) you dusted the bedbug zone with silica, or (b) you treat the bed/mattress regularly with steam.

Surely my second conclusion will be unpopular with the pros. But here it goes. I think hiring an exterminator is overrated. The problem of course with DIY is that there is so much bad information circulating. But armed with a good understanding of how bedbugs operate, I think that most people can effectively manage their own infestation.

Besides good information, a steam cleaner is really useful to have, but maybe not essential.

Are there companies that rent out steam cleaners, the kind that can kill bedbugs? I happened to have one already when I discovered my infestation. But what about the folks who don't have one and can't afford to buy one or just don't want to buy one? I think a bedbug steamer rental business might be a good idea in a city like Cincinnati where bedbugs are so widespread and supposedly the populations are becoming resistant to "chemical" treatments.

Back to my rant about exterminators being overrated, here is who should hire one: A person who has extreme reactions to bedbug bites, or just the thought of bedbugs (recurring panic attacks for example). Those people might want to consider the heat treatment thing.

Sorry, pros, you have the right to make a living doing whatever you chose to do. But people should not feel like the secret to killing bedbugs is out of their reach, because they haven't got the money to hire a competent exterminator. People should not throw up their hands because bedbugs are "impossible" to get rid of. I want everybody in Cincinnati, both rich and poor, to feel empowered. I don't want to live in a city where the poor neighborhoods are crawling with bedbugs.

One last thing: Cincinnatians, stay away from ACE. They are most definitely unscrupulous. If you are rich, I'd say go with Rose. I didn't hire them, but they did give me a very good impression when they came out to my condo. If you want any details about my methods or my exterminator recs, please don't hesitate to message me.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 22 2014 12:32:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You do realize I am an exterminator, I may not be one of the overrated ones but I am also not one of the over priced ones. In fact it would in many cases be cheaper to fly me in from London at short notice (i.e high air fair) and pay my normal fees than to go with the locals.

The reality is that I work in a country where pest control fees are super low but then again so is the quality of work that most of them provide.

Now you are clear please remember to check you Passive Monitor once a month so that you can easily resolve an introduction should one occur.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. mightywarrior

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Aug 22 2014 13:51:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Mr Cain

Yes, I understand that you are an exterminator. Not just any exterminator, but a very clever one. Had you been located in Cincinnati I would have hired you without a second thought.

We are lucky on bedbugger.com to be able to benefit from the fruits of your labors. Thank you so much!

4. buggedout99

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 23 2014 22:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree with you I loved your response to my thread too. This post is inspirational. I am on the same fight as well.

Should I remove my mattress encasement for steaming? or can I steam over top?

5. mightywarrior

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 24 2014 2:39:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I never used a mattress encasement until after I was sure I was completely rid of the infestation. As long as you are still doing steam treatments, I would leave it off. If you have it on then you cannot see where exactly are the folds and seams and tucks etc. Those are the places at which you need to apply the steam, and I think you should be able to see what you are doing.

6. hopelessnfreakigout

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Nov 3 2014 10:54:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I love this thread. I have been limiting my readings to the more panicked posts suggesting that only a professional can save me from my doom after trying that route. My long loss of sleep and fear of having bugs all over me is bringing out sides of me I didn't know I had. I am not one to sit around and let the problem spiral and the mere mention that id never succeeed. Humans have always had these pests. What did we do before modern pest control chemicals? Your positivity was just what I needed this week. Thanks

7. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 0:17:05
    #

Login to Send PM

post moved here

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 1:42:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Beenbuggedmidoribird,
    Would you consider copying and pasting your post to a new thread?
    Success stories mean a lot to people and it would be nice to highlight yours.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 1:44:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 37 seconds ago  » 
    Beenbuggedmidoribird,
    Would you consider copying and pasting your post to a new thread?
    Success stories mean a lot to people and it would be nice to highlight yours.

I can see about doing that. I was going to when I first joined a few months ago, but the attacking each other by some of the other members weirded me off doing so, because I am not an expert. The above post also doesn't have every single detail, as I got too tired (it's late here). But more can always be added later....

10. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 2:00:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sticking with it, and for posting your success story!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 2:01:29
    #

Login to Send PM

For anyone curious,
    BeenBuggedMidoriBird's success story is here.

BeenBuggedMidoriBird - 10 minutes ago  » 

I can see about doing that. I was going to when I first joined a few months ago, but the attacking each other by some of the other members weirded me off doing so, because I am not an expert.

I think I know the thread you're referring to.

It is unfortunate when "newbites" are put off by something like an argument. I am working on ways to make this happen less.

Be assured that you're very welcome here and -- this goes for anyone-- please don't be afraid to reach out if you have concerns.

12. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Dec 9 2014 2:28:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, and thanks bunches!

My original post on this thread was actually prompted by the back-and-forth I saw on the issue of exterminators. I could see why some people would not have a high opinion of them, but I felt that there are ones out there who aren't in it just for the $$$, hence the "here's why I think that" angle. Cooperation is key, sometimes.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,333 posts in 50,175 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14