Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

DIY Interceptors

(4 posts)
  1. Ughhh

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2012 9:38:15
    #

Login to Send PM

So my mom bought a house while there were people renting it out. The former owners nor did the renters know they had bed bugs until the day they were moving out and the movers refused to move their stuff. The house and their belongings were treated once with the freezing and pesticide course of action and then apparently 2 weeks later they did a preventative treatment(I have no idea what that entails). They then moved out and we tried the dry the dry ice monitor in every room and caught no bugs however we found some dead ones on the floor and we found one live disoriented one in the room that was said to be infested and had the house retreated again. We are moving in this weekend and I have a wooden bedframe. I was wanting to know if there are any good DIY things for bed legs like the interceptor because we simply can not afford interceptors for the 7 of us that will be living in the house. And I can't do the bowl of soapy water or the bowl of oil because the legs are wood as well so any ideas ? Thanks in advance

2. triceratops

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 10:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

diatomaceuos earth? its pretty much a powder, and when the bed bugs walk over it , its supposed to cut them and dry them out and they die..
    you could order "climb-ups" from the web, it catches the bugs leaving or entering where they are coming from or going to.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 10:28:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi triceratops,

There is a DE FAQ here:

http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

I would strongly suggest reading it before offering too much advice on it.

With regards the OP's situation I would suggest that you read the document linked below:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/bedbugsoptimisationoffurniture.html

If you optimise the furniture as you move in any left over bedbugs should relocate into the new furniture and thus be easier to resolve.

I am not a fan of isolating bedbugs with disks and interceptors because our field data has illustrated that it can keep them away from the central focus of the bed where they are easier to resolve.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Simon C

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Sep 17 2012 13:48:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Ughhh,

I have had some bad experience with Bed Bugs in the past and I have found that the most effictive DIY method is a combination of Javex and Steam. You can use a simple steamer which can be picked up at Walmart for around $50. My recommendation would be to spray the affected area with a spray bottle filled with warm water and Javex and then apply the steam for an extended period of time (about 1-2 minutes). Be careful though, as some materials have plastic integrated in, which will be damaged if steamed too long.

Keep in mind that the only way to kill the bugs is to contact them directly. Example: If you have bed bugs inside your wall or furniture, steaming and spraying the outside will not do much.

Also, I have found an interesting resource that may help you combat your pest problem.

[url=http://http://www.environmentalpestcontrol.ca/how-to-get-rid-of/bed-bugs]null

Hope this was helpful! Best of luck!

Simon C

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,771 posts in 50,035 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,359 members. Latest: questioning_bugger, Mikayah, maybeebedbugs