DIY did not work....next step [a: image looks like bed bug nymph]

(17 posts)
  1. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 14:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

So I thought that our DIY treatment would work. For six months I have been checking for return and have found nothing. Well this morning I was laying in bed and there was a little one crawling on the sheets. I captured it and put in a ziplock bag. I have pictures but I cant figure out how to upload them. Anyways here is where I am at now. I don't want to DIY anymore. I want to hire a professional. I have called several places and received quotes from $250 all the way to $2000. I found one person that wanted to do three separate treatments entire house for $335 each time. I feel like that is not that bad and we dont have to pay at once. This will max out my cc. But at this point I feel desperate. My husband is totally fighting me and does not want to pay $1000 for this. He also offers no guarantee. I dont know what to do! We live in Lodi, CA. There are not many reviews out here of people that have them and what PCO worked for them. I am also concerned about the fact that I am six months pregnant. I am soooo worried about bringing home a new baby with all these chemicals that were just sprayed. We dont have much money living and it will just be horrible to pay for this. What do I do?!?!? Do I try the DIY again and just keep doing it every few months. What about the baby?? That is my biggest concern.

UGGHHH!! I am seriously lost right now.

2. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 15:05:56
    #

Login to Send PM

here is the pic of the bed bug. hope this works.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125461400@N04/

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 15:08:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The information on how to post is here:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/test-13

Its within the green stickies which are the good posts and core information along with the FAQs and useful tools sections.

I appreciate you have decided to go pro but can I suggest a few triage things you do first to make sure you are actually likley to solve this one efficiently.

I would strongly advise you to think along some of the following lines if you have not done so already:

• Have you checked all adjoining neighbors?
    • Have you identified what the likley source is?

Sometimes what appears as treatment failure is more accurately a failure to stop the introduction of bedbugs. I have written a lot about "local sources" and infestation dynamics which you might want to read.

I would also advise you to work through the various sections of the site as it will help you in evaluating treatment options as well as what are valid approaches to treating bedbugs. It will certainly give you the best information as to how to appraise the options that people will give you.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 15:16:00
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thank you for always replying to my posts...sometimes rants. I have no idea if our neighbors have bed bugs. We live in a three bedroom home that is not attached to any other homes. The neighbor on that side of the fence we have never spoken to and do have a great relationship with. Here is the pics of our bed bug encasement. I hope you can see that they are trying to get in through the zipper. I think that we will have to purchase a new encasement for our box frame. I have looked over all the info that you have and it is where I have received a lot of the information that I do know. Is there an article in particular that I should be reading?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125461400@N04/14437649324/

I know that this just the beginning. I pray that we do not have a full infestation like we did six months ago.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 15:36:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK the image helps a lot.

The info on the neighbor does as well, a single family detached home does not need to worry about neighbors as the source as long as you occupy the whole home as a single family. I add that because I know some homes get slit in the US (as they do in the UK).

Can you please look for other signs of activity and in particular faecal traces.

Judging from what I can see this is a recent introduction and as such might not be as much of a nightmare to deal with. Its most likley to be a recent introduction and possibly in the last 7 - 10 days. Unfortunately post previous treatment Passive Monitoring might have caught it already and all you would have needed to do is replace the monitor and that may still be an option if there are not many other signs.

However, if that is the case you will also need to look at the patterns of the people in room with the activity as they are the most likley persons to be bringing the problem into the home. Its not likley to be something they do every day or you would still be seeing activity. You will find lists of potential sources in the posts you will find if you search for "local source" and if you read the TbyPMR protocol I have written. When you find the posts please tag them "local source" so they are easier for others to find later (I need to be out of here as its already evening and not the early part).

At this stage I am thinking you may not been the professional solution if you can work at excluding potential sources.

David

6. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 16:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

The fecal traces are on the other side of the bed and I will take a picture and post tomorrow morning. Should I buy another box spring encasement. Is there anyway I can send you the pictures privately? I dont want to post a bunch of pics of my house for the world to see. I do believe that this is the beginning because I look on a regular basis. I cant believe after six months they came back. I have no idea how they could have been reintroduced. Except we recently used our luggage and that was over 7 days ago. I no longer take the luggage into the bedroom I bring everything to the garage or kitchen. But we left one suitcase in the kitchen by accident when we were out of town. Could it be possible that they are still in our suitcase? That seems far fetched. I will take more pictures tonight because we are stripping the bedroom and washing everything again.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2014 17:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No need to buy a new encasement, I don't use nor recommend them myself.

Sorry I only do in public communication so that there's can benefit. However you only need up close images of the marks so no distinguishing features should be needed.

You need to read the posts and documents to enable us to have a common foundation knowledge and thus meaningful discussion as to what your source could be. However if the cases were used for a trip that may lead towards the source.

David

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 2:08:27
    #

Login to Send PM

jewlzak - 11 hours ago  » 
    here is the pic of the bed bug. hope this works.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/125461400@N04/

I deleted the image tags. You can just paste in the URL straight for a link, or change your flickr settings to allow you to embed using BBCode.

There are two images at this link. It might be best to paste in the individual URLs to avoid confusion.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 9:30:34
    #

Login to Send PM

So last night we tore apart the beds and found bed bugs and fecal stains in my bedroom and the guest bedroom. The guest bedroom my mother in law stays in three nights out of the week. I think it could be possible we might have been reintroduced from her. She lives in apartment. We also found out that the box frame encasement in both bedrooms has holes in it from the frame. We vacuumed everything up with a shop vac and laid down more DE. Even though I am no longer a believer in it. It makes sense now that it cannot break the life cycle of the bed bugs.

Next step will be hiring a PCO. I found one that answered my questions and off top wanted to do three treatments. The other ten people I talked to said that they could get it done in one. It has been hard finding reviews of companies in the area we live in. I have read that bedbugs are on the rise but not many people have written reviews for exterminators.

So no on buying the bed frame encasements?

Here is our plan:

1. Bag up all clothes and run through dryer high heat.
    2. Hire PCO. I was hoping to only do two treatments for six weeks because if we do all three treatments I am getting very close to my due date and I am worried about bringing a newborn home with the chemicals. Even though he said it will be alright. Do you think two will do the trick?
    3. We have set a schedule of the 1st and the 15th every month to tear apart the bed vacuum and inspect.

That is all. I dont know what else we should do. Any suggestions? I am desperate to get these bugs out of my house and life.

Also from now on when my mother in law comes over she will put all her belongings in the dryer. If it cannot go in the dryer than it stays in the garage or her car.

Thanks for all the support and help! It feels great to talk to people that have knowledge and experience.

Here is some new pics. One is fecal stain. The other is another bed bug with I believe an egg next to it? The stuff by it is DE. Which seems to not work since it is still alive and right by it.

bed bug

10. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 9:31:43
    #

Login to Send PM

11. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 9:32:16
    #

Login to Send PM

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 11:10:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Jewlzak,
    I can't see the sample in your image clearly enough to ID it. Did you post a full-size photo to Flickr?

It may be the device I'm on so see if others have better luck.

I also personally can't ID fecal but there are a few here who do. I strongly urge you to wait and get a positive ID before you hire someone to treat.

I've also changed your title because it wasn't clear you were looking for an ID, and some experts here will look for these posts.

13. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 11:33:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay that is fine. I am positive that it is bedbugs because I have posted pictures of the bugs themselves as well. The fecal stain is just not a good pic. I was trying to vacuum and get things done so I just took a photo. I should have gotten a better pic. The next time we move the bed I will post it.

14. jewlzak

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 11:39:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Also David I have been searching the site for local sources and have trouble finding the info. Still learning how to navigate. But I have been reading as much as possible. So I can concur this problem. I still do not have a clue where they are coming from.

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 13:45:10
    #

Login to Send PM

The insect on green background looks like a bed bug nymph.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  16. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 17 2014 13:54:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK The faecal pic is not clear enough to ID but that would be a massive BB to leave something that appears that big. I appreciate there is nothing to scale the image but from what i can see its on the large size.

With regards "local source" posts there is a search in the top right of the page and you can find specific terms through that. A few minutes search produced this:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/likelihood-of-picking-them-up-again

Part way through you will see clear definitions of local and single source. There is also a discussion of infestation dynamics within the Treatment by Passive Monitor Replacement protocol linked below:

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/tbypmr.pdf

It is in essence what I would suggest you do at this stage.

Take the steps to rule out all possible sources and focus on how bedbugs are/were being brought home and "monitor out" the ones that you have along with sensible physical removal onto sticky tape.

It's more attention to detail that "spray and prey" but the results are also a lot better because you actually resolve the issue rather than waiting for them to possibly succumb to a poison.

This time last week I was just closing the day out having been at a hotel treating for a few days. They took 2 years to build the issue up to 55% infested in one building and yet it took us only 2 days to clear it out. The 1 week QC today showed only 3 bugs remained in one room which was used as the staff training session but aside from that the other rooms that were treated and had been an on-going issue are resolved. It was nice to be met by a front of house team smiling and saying thanks for doing what I had promised, i.e. they had not had a guest complaint since we started.

Yes it can be time consuming to read it all up and get yourself organised for a few days of hard work but once you are into the flow of it the logic kind of makes so much sense you will be wondering why others don't deal with things this way. But in reading please stick to the path, if its not mentioned it may be for a very good reason and that adding other solutions in may actually slow down the time it takes to get clear.

Sorry for the time it can take to reply (especially when links are needed) I don't have a PC at home to ensure I actually sleep and when answering on the phone the keypad is painfully small for the hands of someone who is 6 foot 2 and they are late with my full neural interface.

Hope that all makes sense though.

David

17. bbbgoneforeverplease

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 21 2014 14:08:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi jewlzak, I just read your story. Sorry you are still dealing with this. So you have had the two treatments? I hope that all is well. Monitoring is so exhausting!! My husband and I took apart the beds so many times, and still often could not find evidence of where they were. It does look like you have found them in specific places, so that is at least good. Looking back now I agree with David's suggestion of not isolating the beds, since they were able to get up there anyway. But, the only thing I think I would add to your regimen is steaming all areas they are and could be. I agree that you probably don't want the chemicals around with baby coming. That is why we opted for heat. And the people who do the heat treatment said people often come to them after having paid about the same amount in accumulated chemical treatments, which have ultimately failed :(. Obviously, this depends on how good your PCO is, and you have said that the ones in your area may not be that well-trained, which is unfortunate. Anyway, good luck to you. Keep up the battle!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07