Discovered bed bugs, help *panic*

(4 posts)
  1. pray4mojo

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Mar 24 2019 22:31:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I've been reading threads on this forum for the past two hours and would like to share my situation.

Current situation: Discovered three unfed adult bed bugs

1st was on the bed in bedroom (killed it, didn't really realize what it was)
    ... week goes by, then wife shows me a pattern of bites on leg
    ... few more days elapse
    2nd discovered on a pillow in living room
    ... bagged it
    ... called PCO who came with a dog, did a search, dog cleared living room but ID'd part of the bed frame
    ... PCO could not find any visuals -- skins, fecal, eggs (said eggs might be in frame)
    ... start to panic
    ... they are saying we need to prep our whole apartment for them to spray
    ... not sure how we are going to remove every item we have and bag it
    ... looking at hiring a company to steam our stuff and pack for us
    ... while unzipping a pillow case in the living room ...
    A 3rd bed bug was discovered
    ... still grappling with the idea of packing everything up
    ... makes more sense to move if everything is packed up

Some background: The PCO was telling us all types of stories of how they arrive through apartments ... it hit me a day later, the tenant upstairs (of 30 years) left 3-4 weeks ago. Since some people don't have a reaction to a bite (I didn't, wife did) maybe she never noticed (she was also ~80-90 years old).

These fkers probably came down through the walls looking for a meal, which would explain the size and timeline.

We also have a two week old newborn, and think this is maybe how they entered the living room, as we are sleeping in both rooms, moving back and forth during these first two weeks.

We are super stressed, he recommended spraying 91% isopropyl alcohol on active sites to instantly kill them -- so I've been spraying everything out of a precaution until they bag up our place and spray proper. They will also seal up walls and do other various things to prevent ($$$$).

It seems like our only options are paying thousands of dollars to get rid of them (cryonite & ULV (flash freezing and liquid)) or dealing with them forever. We are also worried about moving and bringing them with us. As of now, my wife is in a hotel and I'm manning the fort. We are most likely (99%) going to hire a company to do the prep work for us, but it is still stressing me out.

Does anyone have any suggestions or hope?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Mar 24 2019 22:52:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Try not to panic. You’ve found three adult bed bugs, but the inspector could find no fecal stains. That’s interesting. You probably haven’t had bed bugs very long in that case.

I would consider calling a second company, if you’re hiring your own PCO. They have different plans for prep and treatment and it is worth hearing more than one possible approach. Some companies would not want you to bag everything, especially since it sounds like a light or recent issue.

Keep in mind that if the landlord is obliged to treat, it may be worth going through them because ideally, you want them to have attached units inspected, to make sure and treat all the problems.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Mar 24 2019 22:53:51
    #

Login to Send PM

One more thing, rubbing alcohol will kill bed bugs you spray directly, but it isn’t worth spraying unless perhaps you see a live bed bug you can kill. It will cause an odor and maybe make things flammable but won’t hurt bed bugs if they’re not sprayed directly.

4. pray4mojo

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Mon Mar 25 2019 0:10:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tip

One additional question -- should I put the mattress encasement on now? I'm thinking I may just wait until they treat the apartment.

I also may try the tape + vaseline trick around the base of the bed in the meantime.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82