(4 posts)
  1. Breezie

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 13:17:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi All-
    I'm here to share my woes of being plagued by bedbugs.
    I moved into an apartment complex a little over a month ago. I wish I knew of the BB registry then, because I should have known to steer clear. That's water under the bridge now.
    About a month ago, I started getting bitten regularly. For about a week, I wondered what could be biting me, because of the huge reaction I had. I showed my bites to the pest control guy who takes care of my office. He told me I should check for bed bugs. That night, I went home and looked. Sure enough, I found them on my box spring.
    Immediately I called my leasing office to let them know. They posted a note on my door the next day that the PCO was coming on Tuesday of the next week. I needed to bag all my clothes, take apart the bed, put all my furnature in the middle of the rooms, etc. All pets needed to be out for at least 6 hours. I have a dog, 2 hedgehogs, and 5 parrots, so getting everyone out isn't always easy.
    It just so happened that I was leaving for a business trip the same day the PCO was due to come, so i so rather than keeping my birds at home, I needed to board them (which, ended up costing about $700) to ensure that they were not exposed to the chemicals. My friend took my dog and hedgehogs. Anyways, after my trip, I got home, and looked at my house- I couldn't tell anyone had been in there, but figured they probably treated and I wouldn't be able to tell since it had been a few days. I put my bed back together. The paperwork that I got from the complex said that I shouldn't keep any piles of clothes around, so after the PCO treats, to put all my clothes back in the dressers/closets etc. I was to expect a follow up visit 2 weeks later.
    A week passed, and I figured I needed to follow up with the office, as I hadn't heard when my 2nd treatment was. I knew I had to get all my pets out again, so that takes advanced planning. A week passed, and I didn't hear from the office, so yesterday I decided to stop by. While I was there, the office told me the pest control guy said I didn't have bedbugs. I am so frustrated! It's EXTREMELY evident to me I have bedbugs, and I'm not even a professional. I have the shells, I found the eggs, the nymphs, the poop stains, everything. The only thing I couldn't find was the adults.
    I asked my apartment complex if they even treated me the first time. They said no. So now I have to go through the whole packing up everythin again. I thought I was at least treated the first time. No wonder why I'm still getting bitten!I am scheduled for the PCO to come again on Tuesday. I am going to see what I can do to get off work, so I can be there, and show him what I saw. I made it easy the first time, placing the infested places so they could easily be seen. I guess my apt complex has a lazy PCO working for them. I'm not looking forward to this.

2. WishBBsWereButterflies

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 13:27:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like an experience similar to my own. What are the laws in the state where you live?
    When I mentioned contacting a certain city agency, my previous management reacted more quickly. They had terrible PCOs, but they did send someone out initially.

3. Breezie

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 13:33:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I have contacted the health department- they were not entirely helpful. I suppose I will have to look up the local ordinances. Funny thing- when I signed my lease, I remember it saying something about bedbugs, but I did the "oh, they just put it in there just in case". It should have raised a red flag. They did not give me a copy of the lease I signed, so I really have no idea what it says right now. I hope to get a copy of it soon.

4. Breezie

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 21 2012 13:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I am back with an update.

The PCO came finally and (supposedly) treated me again. Whatever they did seems to be working, as I am 7 days bite free right now. I'm not celebrating yet. I still am jumpy and know they have a good probability that they are still there, just not biting me (who knows- they could be biting my birds or something) My old bites are still flaring up and itching though. I figure that will just take time. I am getting my second treatment on the 26th.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,275 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl