Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Improve the Site

Different color for links already visited

(4 posts)
  1. jrbtnyc

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 22:05:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs – http://www.bedbugger.com is excellent but a couple of things that would really enhance it in my opinion, and which some other types of forums do have, would be for it to:

(a) show all topics I've already opened up in a different color than ones I haven't read at all; and

(b) show a third color or icon or appearance or whatever for a topic I've looked at previously at least once but which has been updated since the most recent time I opened it.

For instance, I used to be active on a certain basketball statistics forum...

http://sonicscentral.com/apbrmetrics/viewforum.php?f=1

...which you might wish to look at for comparison purposes? Although for all I know maybe you've already compared other species of forums in the past and have found drawbacks?

But the idea of having all links change appearance when a participant has read them a minimum of one time, part (a) above, is extremely common on the internet in general – such as for instance the link gets a faded version of its main color or the link actually changes color such as from blue to light purple. So I'm wondering whether that feature at least might turn out to be fairly easy to introduce on http://www.bedbugger.com without going to any entirely new framework. And if it were possible to throw in part (b) as well, that would be a nice bonus.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Oct 4 2010 23:57:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi jrbtnyc,

These are good ideas.

The software I am using (bbpress) has an option to mark all the threads you have read when they are updated, so they turn a darker color, showing "new posts".

This is not what you are asking for, but I tested it out tonight because it seemed like it might be useful, since I can't currently implement exactly what you're asking for.

I would like to implement exactly what you describe but the option is not there right now and I do not have anyone who I could pay to create such a plugin if I wanted to. If the option becomes possible in future, I will implement it.

The available option I do have only marks threads as having new posts if you have previously viewed them. In other words, you can't tell by looking if a thread is one you have read previously with no new posts, or one you've never read. (Although when you log in, new "never read" threads will appear above older threads, so you should be able to determine which are new vs. old and not of interest.)

When I tested this function out, I found it rather annoying that it did not change the color of every thread title, but my understanding is that would be a lot more resource-intensive and slow things down, so the designers intentionally made it only update threads you've read previously. So I am interested if this feature -- marking only previously-read threads as having new posts -- appeals to you (or anyone else).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 0:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Last reply updated, hopefully for greater clarity (it's been a long day!)

4. jrbtnyc

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 5 2010 5:42:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs – thanks for your immediate and detailed response.

Yes it's a bit surprising bbpress is configured to permit option (b) but not the more common and seemingly easier option (a)!

The function you describe, option (b), that's available to be implemented immediately if folks say they like it, actually is *part* of what I'm asking for, but I would have presumed it would be the other way around, that option (a) would be easy to do and option (b) would have to be the one assigned to some potential future upgrade.

In other words, you're saying bbpress is configured to offer, in the current version of the software if asked to do so, different colors for redd-and-updated threads on the one hand, vs. redd-and-not-updated OR never-redd threads on the other hand, but can't offer different colors for the latter two.

It actually seems illogical (this is not a complaint) because when the program changes the color of a thread you've already opened which has been updated, say, one minute ago, but doesn't change the color of a thread you've never opened which has also been updated, say, one minute ago, doesn't that indicate the program already knows the difference, right now in the current version of the program, between threads you've opened at some point and ones you haven't? And therefore could, as a trivial function, assign different colors to those two different categories so there would be three colors in all for the total of three different categories? In fact it seems this should be doable without any extra resources having to be utilized slowing down the program, because those resources are *already* being utilized since the program is revealing it already knows the difference between redd-and-not-updated threads vs. never-redd threads – it's already tracking that information.

As you point out, in many instances you can tell if a thread you've opened before has since been updated by its placement high on the list above older ones. But this indicator becomes less useful if you've been away from the board for, say, half a day or so, in which case threads updated since you last looked at them, but not within the last few hours, start to get lower and lower in the queue and mixed in with all the others.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,330 posts in 50,174 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14