Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Did we really have success this easily? No exterminators!

(4 posts)
  1. Whatisagoodusername

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 19 2017 12:54:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all.
    This is a forum I never saw myself logging onto. No one I know has ever had bed bugs. I knew nothing about them. Well, we often take vacations with our 3 daughters and we went to a resort several months ago. I told my husband I heard they might have bugs but we laughed it off.
    A month or 2 later we started noticing our oldest daughter getting these rashy welts on her arms. I thought it was a spider or an allergic reaction. I even took her to our doctor who was also clueless and said she had never seen bites or a rash like that.
    I just had a WEIRD FEELING we should throw away her mattress and we had been wanting to get our 2 big girls bunk beds anyway so we bought them all new mattresses and a bunk bed set (metal).
    I vaccummed and kinda thought maybe we had gotten bed bugs but I was sure I got rid of them. Ha!
    Jump a month or two later. Daughter has no more bites. Says she sees a bug on her bed but then I couldn't find it. Mind you we had paid big bucks for a beautiful new bedding set etc.
    Fast forward to a month ago. I start getting bit. I have a severe allergic reaction to the bites. My entire arm was covered within a week or 2. I started wearing long sleeves all the time...I was so embarressed. And I knew in my heart it had to be bed bugs. Gross! I cried and cried.
    We pulled out our mattress and I happened to glimpse one just as it crawled out of a TINY TINY TINY hole in the mattress. I caught it...it was a bug.
    This is the point where I lost my mind. And I am telling you...I think what I did worked. Here is what I did.
    1. We IMMEDIATELY bought sleep tite brand bed covers for all of our mattresses. Pricey yes. Worth it yes. Don't waste your money on the cheap ones!
    2. Threw away my babies crib and mattress. Found 5 bugs in her bed.
    3. Emptied almost everything out of the three bedrooms. They were bare for days and days other than empty dressers...bookshelves...and beds.
    4.I vaccummed the crap out of the rooms with carpet and mopped the hard wood room. Empty the bag right away and keep your vacuum outside.
    5. Heat for all bedding and EVERY PIECE OF CLOTHING in your home. Also for couch pillows, shoes, etc.
    6. Bagged up all the toys and went thru one by one.
    7. Inspected every book
    8.then we treated the rooms in a 2 part process. First we used Ortho Home Defense spray. Then we used Harris Bed Bug Killer. After we soaked everything and it dried we coated the edges of the walls and every crack with DE powder.
    Then I made a circle around all of our beds with the DE powder. This stuff WORKS.
    It has been 2 weeks and not a live bug or a bite since then. I still treat the rooms with this process every 2 days. The rooms are still empty...no clothes toys or books yet.
    I plan to continue it this way for another 2 weeks to be safe and then I will start filling the rooms again.
    I have so much relief. Before I felt hopeless!
    My bites are healing. My sanity is returning.is it too early to say we have a success story?!?

2. Whatisagoodusername

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 19 2017 13:13:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I also feel the need to add... get yourself The Lifechanging Magic of Tidying up by Marie Kondo. It will help you immensely as you clean your home. you must declutter!! Purging your home of everything you don't truly love or need will help with this process. Cannot recommend this book enough.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 6:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! I would consider using monitors if you aren't, just to tell confirm they're gone.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Buggernet

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 20 2017 8:30:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! I wish you continued success!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19