did my hotel have bed bugs? [a: beetle]

(19 posts)
  1. soster

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 15:25:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I rolled over the other day in a hotel room and found a bug on my sheets. I put it in a water bottle.

IMG_2877

The hotel says it was some sort of beetle but I'd like opinions here. I also found 4 bites on my body that morning. One on my arm, one on the back of my shoulder a one consistent with those two around my waistband near my hip and another either larger bite or cluster of bites in the same area.

Two days later I found a few bugs near the bathroom sink. They were so small that I originally picked one up by touching my finger to it but dismissed it as a speck of dirt or something. Later I saw them moving and realized they were bugs. The hotel said they were too small to identify. They were probably a quarter of the size of a grain of rice or smaller.

There didn't seem to be any other signs and from what I've read bedbugs wouldn't linger out in the open especially on a cold porcelain surface during the day. Can anyone help shed some light on this? I have all my stuff in plastic bags waiting to bring into my apartment or figure out what to do just in case.

Is this a likely bed bug scenario?

thanks

2. soster

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 15:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

3. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 17:27:50
    #

Login to Send PM

The picture/video is not close enough to the bug for me to say 100% yes but I will say that from tht distance/angle I can not rule out bedbugs.

Have you checked the hotel regestry to see if they were reported to have BBs before? if not click the link beloow now and do so.

http://hotels.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=hotels&cdn=travel&tm=12&gps=339_379_952_611&f=00&tt=12&bt=0&bts=0&st=35&zu=http%3A//bedbugregistry.com/

4. soster

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 18:03:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Check the video link after the photo. There's a bit more detail in the video.

The hotel has some bedbug posts from last autumn that I saw elsewhere but not on that link.
    It's also a pet friendly hotel, so I'm sure that adds to the number of likely critters around.

5. soster

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 18:55:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I redid the video so it shows a bit better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79961905@N08/7323679122/

its from the under side of the bug

6. blargg

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 19:28:16
    #

Login to Send PM

The thorax of that bug is larger than a bedbug's thorax.

7. soster

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 20:00:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. I'm leaning toward thinking that is some type of beetle.

I still have the several bites as well as the other, possibly unrelated tiny tiny bugs I found near the bathroom.

I'm soaking a small bag that was laying around the hitel room in hot water and am thinking of doing the same with my clothing.

Am I being overly cautious?

8. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 21:20:46
    #

Login to Send PM

The second video is closer but not clearer.

What I see in the video is a bug that looks like the body is made up of 2 segmants. bedbugs have a head and then a round (or elongated after feeding) body. Bedbugs do not have 2 segments like this bug seems to have.

I am hesitant to assue it is NOT a BB since the video is so blurry but the closer the picture the less it looks like a BB.

9. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 23:12:04
    #

Login to Send PM

10. soster

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 18:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

no, definitely not that. It probably looks a bit more like this

http://bugguide.net/node/view/533965

but I'm not sure thats quite right either.

Whatever the bug I caught was, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a bed bug. However I still have a series of bites that are constant with bed bugs and found those other, tiny, unidentifiable bugs. I've taken the precautions of heating up most of what I had in the room, the rest I'll dry clean.

The biggest obstacle is my large duffel bag which has a hard frame. I may just soak it in 120 degree hot water and see if it survives.

11. whattodo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 19:27:56
    #

Login to Send PM

This looks similar, but larger than what I am experiencing in my home. PCO did thermal treatment for bed bugs, but it didn't work, and after posting here and on BugGuide.net, the consensus seems to be perhaps they weren't bed bugs at all, but psocids or book lice. Your looks larger though I noted your comment about the moving specs of dirt, which I definitely have! Not sure they're the same, but I'm curious if you figure out what it is!

12. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 23:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thats a creepy looking bug but not a bedbug

13. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 8:36:54
    #

Login to Send PM

To the best of my knowledge, most people have book lice and they do not bite humans. Consider your cause could be something else.

As far as the critter in question, it does not appear to be a bedbug to me. Thorax too long as well as the antennae. Has it been that color the entire time it's been in captivity? If anything it'd be a nymph and not an adult, but it would eventually poop and go back to a clear yellowish color. Not a bedbug.

If you can get a good close up shot with magnification, one of the experts can chime in on what it is exactly, if you're curious.

14. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 8:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Foreign grain beetle (Ahasverus advena), or something similar...

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 12:44:46
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 3 hours ago  » 
    Foreign grain beetle (Ahasverus advena), or something similar...

Grazie, EffeCi!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 12:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, definitely a beetle. The pronotum looks a bit wide at the front to be a foreign grain beetle, but could be another silvanid, cucujid (or maybe laemophloeid).

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 21:59:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou!

18. soster

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 14:28:48
    #

Login to Send PM

well I never got conclusive identification of the tiny bugs (and they were too small to photograph). The larger one I caught was indeed a beetle.

However, the room was confirmed to have bedbugs after I left and that is clearly what the bites were.

: (

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2012 13:32:09
    #

Login to Send PM

soster - 2 days ago  » 
    well I never got conclusive identification of the tiny bugs (and they were too small to photograph). The larger one I caught was indeed a beetle.
    However, the room was confirmed to have bedbugs after I left and that is clearly what the bites were.
    : (

If bed bugs were confirmed in the hotel, it's possible you were exposed and bitten there, but this does ot mean you took them home. Delayed reactions are not uncommon.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,754 posts in 49,796 topics over 154 months by 21,795 of 22,260 members. Latest: insecureuser, o0liver19, Laura07