Did my fumigation fail?

(3 posts)
  1. partydontstarttillisleep

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Jun 12 2018 6:32:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I picked up bed bugs while staying at a hotel and then, although I was very informed, accidentally brought them home. In my new place I had bed bugs, which to me manifested as bites that are scattered, red, with a hard, almost pimple like center. A bed bug dog confirmed bugs in my room and the inspector said it looked like a mild infestation. After a spray of pesticides, the bites disappeared for a couple days and then re-appeared but in far fewer quantity. I went from having about 5 new ones a day to maybe 1 new one a day.

I decided to move and hired a moving and fumigation (with Vikane) company who assured me that this was the end of the adventure with bugs. The movers got all of my stuff, including my phone and laptop, and it was fumigated. My new apartment was checked in advance for bed bugs and found clear. On Sunday I got my possessions back from the fumigators and began to unpack in my new place. Yesterday I noticed new bites, first one, and then two more.

Timeline wise it looks like this:
    - Saturday: stuff packed. I slept in the empty apartment in laundered and dried clothes (new shoes)
    -Sunday: all possessions come back from fumigation, I begin to unpack
    -Monday evening: a new bite appears on my chest
    -Tuesday Morning: another new bite appears on my chest and on my leg

Did my fumigation fail? My apartment is under warranty from the fumigator, so I can send the stuff back to him, although I imagine I'll have to pay for the moving costs once again.

I'm going to have a dog come inspect. I'm thinking of throwing out all of my belongings now (which should be fairly easy since they're still in boxes) to create more space for the pesticide.

Advice? I'm having a little bit of a crisis.

2. mp7ski

Posted 2 days ago
    Fri Jun 15 2018 9:16:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing is 100 percent, not even vikane. I did the same thing you did, had a moving truck fumigated and, it failed. If I could do it over, which I may end up doing, I'd heat treat the moving truck, not fumigate it. I got bites the night we moved our stuff in from the truck. We even threw out all furniture and 90 percent of our stuff. I'm almost to the point of losing all hope, but for the sake of my family I can't.

I would have the dog come through and then monitor using some sort of monitor. I wouldn't do anything drastic until you found evidence and knew for sure you took them with you.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 days ago
    Fri Jun 15 2018 9:51:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I would never use skin irritations to confirm a bed bug infestation, there are far too many other logical explanations.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,595 posts in 45,047 topics over 137 months by 19,778 of 20,511 members. Latest: Savingabel16, K2000, 2peanuts2pumpkins