(2 posts)
  1. Sgubdeb

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed May 9 2018 14:57:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone.

For the past 4 years due to varying reasons I’ve had issues with bed bugs.

A method I use to help keep it under control/“eliminated” is diatomaceous earth. I use it sparingly to try and have it not so easily seen.

I was wondering if long term use of this can cause COPD as it is a dust and I’m sure it’s in the air to some extent?

(Also I have it on my sofa but have a cover over top of it)

Thanks for your help, have a great, bug free day.

2. Bugsareicky

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed May 9 2018 21:04:44
    #

Login to Send PM

ideally you don't want to be breathing it in, especially in large amounts. Wear appropriate safety gear when applying it, and place it where it won't be kicked up into the air. Make sure you're using food grade DE. Pool grade is both dangerous and ineffective. Very long term exposure can be bad (years of breathing in a lot of it) but it's not super dangerous. Years of breathing in flower, baby powder, or even chalk would have the same effect. DE can be eaten as a health supplement, so compared to using poisons, it's definitely on the safer side of things. It can eventually lead to some lung damage if you're breathing it in all the time...but nothing compared to being a smoker. If you smoke, or sit in a home with people that do, food grade DE is a completely irrational fear. The people who work in factories that produce it, and people who apply it for a living, do end up with lung damage after years and years if they're not using proper equipment...but they're breathing in ridiculous amounts of it every day. Can it eventually cause lung damage? Yes. but no more than working with chalk or flower on a daily basis. Until teachers and bakers are out there dropping like flies, I wouldn't worry too much about it. For some reason there seems to be a lot of fear mongering around DE. I think a lot of the time people are finding information about pool grade and assuming they are the same. They're not. Pool grade DE is quite dangerous.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,694 posts in 44,823 topics over 137 months by 19,675 of 20,380 members. Latest: fish77, Chevycolt15, bedbugbugs