Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Diatomaceous earth application while pregnant?

(6 posts)
  1. diebugsdie22

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Sep 15 2019 19:54:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi--

I am 6 weeks pregnant and at (fingers crossed) the tail end of a bb infestation. To prevent them from coming back next summer--last thing I'll need with a newborn--I want to put diatomaceous earth in crack and crevices throughout the apartment. There are a lot of cracks and crevices, naturally.

Is it safe for me to apply the diatomaceous earth myself? Should I wear a mask and if so, what kind? If my husband does it, does he need a mask?

Thanks in advance!!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Sep 16 2019 1:04:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While DE is safe when applied correctly (see my previous posts on the correct application rates for DE) prevention is about avoidance rather than treatment.

If you read my PDF called TbyPMR you can read about sources and infestation dynamics and then understand better how not to bring them home. Equally given that the approach works so well in hotels without the use of a desiccant dust they are not as needed as they are made out to be.

Hope that makes sense.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Sep 16 2019 1:08:45
    #

Login to Send PM

When you really want to use DE I don't think you have to put it in all cervices throughout the house. Seems a little overboard. Concentrate on the real possible hiding spots.

I'm not sure why they should come back. If there isn't an infested place you visit regulary or an infested neigbour I don't see the need.

4. diebugsdie22

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Sep 16 2019 5:53:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both for responding. To clarify, I'm not so worried that they'll come back, but that we won't have gotten rid of them all and they'll hibernate and come back when it gets warm again. It was a strange, atypical infestation, with a couple dead ones in the (shared) laundry lint screen setting it off, a dog sniffing them in a living room couch (discarded) and one live bb sighting in the front hall closet. I had bbs over 10 years ago in another apartment, and nothing about this infestation makes sense to me.

The exterminator provided by our building seems more cavalier about it than he should be. They didn't see any signs on inspection, but when I showed them a blood spot on the sheets they brought in the dog, who smelled them in the couch. Then they sprayed twice, 2 weeks apart. I have cleaned and bagged everything, of course, and we are living out of bags and boxes. A week after the last spray the exterminator said we should go ahead and unpack! I said hell no, I didn't do all that work just to do it again. So the dog is coming again today (2 weeks post last spray). I've been monitoring and haven't really seen much--one bite on me, but I'm mostly a non-reactor so I suspect mosquito--nothing in any Beacons or passive monitor, no more blood spots on sheets. I'm eager to unpack and get our family back to normal, and was thinking if the dog doesn't smell anything today I might put curtains back up, etc. We'll keep our clothes in zip locs in our drawers for a while yet.

So I guess I'm thinking of the DE as an insurance policy. That is, even if a few remain in very craggy floorboards, DE would take care of them. Does that make sense?

Sorry for the long post. Perhaps I should just start a new one. Any advice is appreciated. I'll look at that PDF for sure--thank you.

5. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Sep 16 2019 6:34:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both for responding. To clarify, I'm not so worried that they'll come back, but that we won't have gotten rid of them all and they'll hibernate and come back when it gets warm again. It was a strange, atypical infestation, with a couple dead ones in the (shared) laundry lint screen setting it off, a dog sniffing them in a living room couch (discarded) and one live bb sighting in the front hall closet. I had bbs over 10 years ago in another apartment, and nothing about this infestation makes sense to me.

They don't hibernate when there is a food source available. They don't care if it is warm or not.

Infestation makes no sense to me either if there even had been one.

The exterminator provided by our building seems more cavalier about it than he should be. They didn't see any signs on inspection, but when I showed them a blood spot on the sheets they brought in the dog, who smelled them in the couch.

Did they confirm by searching? Blood spots might be from anything.

6. diebugsdie22

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Sep 18 2019 10:06:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to thank you both for your help. I don't have that much faith in the exterminator (contracted by my co-op apartment building). They supposedly searched and looked but who knows. Now I have found other signs (see new post) that either the dog missed initially or, worse, are new. Ugh. Help.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams