Diatomaceous earth

(6 posts)
  1. AutumnRain

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 16:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this video on youtube and thought I'd post it here to get some thoughts.I know lots of people use DE and many say the food grade kind is what you should use.They guy in this video though,who seems to be some sort of bed bug professional says that food grade doesn't work.
    That the only kind that works is the kind specifically sold for killing bugs.

The kind I bought is for killing bugs (got it at Lowe's) so I'm not worried that mine won't work,but if what this guy says is true it could explain why it doesn't seem to help everyone.

What do you all think??

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Video

2. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 17:31:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Seruously? Bummer. I carefully researched to see if food grade DE worked as well as insect control DE and was told in all cases they worked the same only the food grade took longer do it it having no immediate killing properties.

Sigh...

3. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 18:12:52
    #

Login to Send PM

That's Jeff White, who often participates in the forum.

The video is open to interpretation, but AFAIK, there are two types of DE, "amorphous silica" (which includes food grade and the DE product he was demonstrating) and "crystalline silica". Pool grade is crystalline, which is believed to be more harmful to humans and not effective against bed bugs. (Note: even "food grade" DE has some naturally-occurring crystalline silica, which makes it a potential respiratory hazard.) There are also DE formulations that include chemical (or natural) insecticides, like "Diatect Results", which require more care in use than food grade.

Another point open to misinpterpretation is that you need to apply a "good amount", which can mean different things to different people. He cites another video (which I can't locate right now) on how to apply DE correctly. We also have a FAQ on it that's helpful.

I suspect that Jeff is telling people "get the insecticidal DE and you'll know it's OK". My bottom-line, personal thought is that if you already have food grade DE and you've applied it correctly, you should not worry too much.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  4. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 18:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I squirted small amounts into cracks and crevices, corners, the rough area on the backs of particle board furniture. Then I dusted in little circles like I was on CSI dusting for fingerprints. I vacuumed up any large excesses.

My DE was brown not white. Is that unusual? Everyone says it's white!

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 18:35:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Mine is faint brownish. I'd guess it comes in shades, like chicken eggs. It's supposedly not great to vacuum, both due to respiratory issues and because the fine powder can damage the vacuum.

6. BravoUniformGolf

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Apr 22 2013 20:02:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Brand new vacuum too! I don't care. I wore a mask and was very careful but it's inevitable that there's some in the air.

Willing to lose the vacuum for any piece of mind

Besides bites, I've still only found 4 smallish (hard for me to say if they're small since photos don't really give the real idea of their size) very dead ones. Dried, and dead and empty of any blood. And this is before using DE :).

Thanks for the valuable input. It's appreciated

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,670 posts in 49,315 topics over 152 months by 21,612 of 22,037 members. Latest: Jaded48, ctd2289, N52B30AE