Diatect "Results" DE

(28 posts)
  1. woooooosha

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 30 2008 2:29:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted this blurb as a reply to another topic, but it may be helpful to those who are looking to use this product as it is what I'm using now. It is purely on observations I've made myself.

How I got BBs: I was vacationing in Utah on a ski trip, and stayed in a hotel that was near an Airforce Base and then an "airport" hotel for one night before leaving. Somewhere in there I picked up some hitchhikers. Stupidly, I left my suitcase in my room for a few days while I was unpacking. I was unfamiliar with BBs, so I didn't know any better. They started attacking me a week later, and so I washed my bedding and clothes, vacuumed my mattress. They stopped biting for awhile, then migrated to other rooms in the house. (I live with 4 others, my family.) The issue was taken seriously and after some research, I purchased Diatect, a hand steamer, and mattress covers.

I've been using that Diatect DE for a few weeks now, and I have to admit all 5 occupants of the house have not been getting bit. I think a lot of people look for instant results but to be honest, nobody gives the bugs enough credit. I wouldn't either, they're ugly little suckers. In any case, you really do need to expect them to try and survive. You would if someone was trying to wipe you out, wouldn't you?

Anyway, I can't confirm that what I'm experiencing is success or not. This is because the bugs could be avoiding the dust. What I can confirm:

-You do have to be on-time with re-applications.
    -Bed bugs do not like it, or they die from it as the product is advertised. Either way, I have seen a significant drop in feeding in my family home.
    -It kills carpenter ants, which I think have harder exoskeletons. It takes a very long time for them to die though. I half-smashed one ant and sprayed it with with the DE, and it died in about 10 minutes. The other one was perfectly healthy, and trapped under a cup after being sprayed. It took an hour for it to die. I assume that it varies depending on exposure and thickness of the exoskeleton.
    -Spraying this stuff is not enough. I purchased a hand steamer to steam all fabric and miscellaneous items that could not be washed in the washing machine. Isolated beds, covered mattresses.
    -You should NOT inhale it. They're fossils, they're sharp, they'll cut your lungs. Wear a mask and leave the area immediately after spraying. As far as I know it doesn't do much to your skin if it gets on there, but it will dry you out. Wear gloves and wash up afterwards. Don't allow it to get into cuts or sores.
    -You BARELY need any of this to work. I mean, I got a crap ton (5) of these 16 oz bottles and we haven't even gone through one of them yet. My dad has actually been using it more on the ants on our front walk than we have for Bed Bugs. At first I was spraying piles of it, which will effect your lungs very harshly. All you need is a LIGHT dusting. You shouldn't be able to see it at all, and if you do it should be very hard to see. The less the better, in this case, because piles are easier to get swept up into the air and into your lungs from any movement. Apply with good ventilation.

I'll try and keep up to date with our progress, I have a feeling that we'll need to apply it for a long time, months to a year, for them to be completely eradicated. Anyway, if anyone considers using Diatect "Results" I can conclusively say that it is keeping the Bed Bugs at bay. You just have to use it correctly.

2. thao83

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 30 2008 13:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

we also dust our apartment with DE dust after PCO treatment and so far I saw 2 dried out dead bed bugs gross and it been more than a month since anyone of us got bite.I will continue to dust DE until we move out.

3. IveBeenBugged

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Jun 1 2008 10:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I also used Results and I will say it did help. It did not get rid of them but it did decrease the number of bites I was receiving. If you live in a multi unit dwelling it may help to reduce the problem.

woooooosha is correct in that less is more. If you use a lot the bugs will most likely just avoid it.

An interesting note. If you are using or are thinking of it try your local True Value Hardware store. The one by me had it a better price than on the Diatect website.

4. woooooosha

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Jun 23 2008 23:32:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Just an update on how this stuff is working- I've been religiously applying it for more than the suggested amount, which is 5 weeks or so. I have not been bitten since, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they aren't gone from the house completely. I'll just apply when needed for about a year, though this sounds ambitious, but I haven't even used 1/4 of the 16 oz bottle and I ordered 5 bottles, so, I have plenty. I'm a little concerned about it causing cancer or something, but, all I know is that it seems to have worked against the bugs and it works very well against ants.

If you are serious about using this stuff, invest in a good vaccuum because it will burn the motor out, I don't really have any suggestions because our motor just burned out on our electrolux.. eesh. If anyone has any suggestions or a point to a threat with vacuums that work with DE, let me know. Anyway, just apply very lightly and it will last you for a long time, not to mention it will work better and you won't inhale the stuff as easy. I noticed that when I used it for the first time, a lot spilled out, and this caused me a lot of uneasiness in the lungs. As soon as I started spraying it correctly, it settled quick and was not irritable in the least. It will irritate your skin by drying it out, but that's about all I noticed with it. As there are pesticides in it, I would avoid contact with skin, even though it claims to be all natrual.

So here's what I think about it: this stuff will probably not work for heavy infestations, but it might help keep you from getting bit so often. If you have a light infestation in a family sized home, Diatect with a combination of isolating your bed will "do the trick" as far as I'm concerned. I can't call it a "success" just yet, I'm sure it's just the beginning of the battle. Anyway, I say give it a try if you have a light infestation. I'm enjoying not being bitten for once, and being able to actually sleep.

5. heartattackhelpme

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 1:05:16
    #

Login to Send PM

How often do you vacuum it up and then dust again?

6. chi-towncrisis

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 9:35:53
    #

Login to Send PM

woooooosha, are you using the DE on its own or with a PCO? Where are you putting it? When you isolated your bed did you spray it first? I'm eager to hear this because I've recently found an infestation and have literally NO MONEY! I live on my own and really can't afford a professional exterminator.

7. woooooosha

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 13:19:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I used it alone, as a first try. If it does not work, I'll have a PCO come in. We wanted to avoid this since it was a very light infestation- a reason why it's working pretty well. I doubt it'll get rid of them, but it's a great defense against getting bitten.

I vacuum it up once every 7 days and reapply right after vacuuming, though I'm avoiding vacuuming so much and I've just been applying it on top of old DE (this is not reccomended) but the stuff just massacres the vacuum. I also got a steam cleaner and have been steaming upholstery and other things able to be steamed, it works pretty well.

8. kjdrga

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jun 24 2008 13:56:42
    #

Login to Send PM

What kind of duster are you using to spread the DE, I tried a "rose plant" duster recommneded at the store where I bought the DE and it's just seems to POUR out...good think I wear a mask.

9. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 14:59:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I am using this stuff in conjunction with a PCO as a follow up. He said the BBs are immune to the pesticide in it.

We have several ACE hardware stores and only on had the stuff.

I use the rose duster and yep it is either a light fog or a volcano. I have a one hand dust bellows coming today from DoMyownPestcontrol. It should make application easier.

I am blasting a buttload into the void between the carpet and wall. No baseboards in this cheap apartment.

I blasted some in and around the outlet boxes also.

Jim

10. BBbythebay

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jul 10 2008 15:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

woooosha (and others) do you mind going into a bit more detail about your techniques?

you used the word spray, so do you use diatect as a spray in addition to dusting? what kind of ratio do you use as a spray? do you mix it with water or something else?

sorry for all the questions, but dusting DE in a light, even amount around bedposts and baseboards is pretty hard to do; if using a spray works, then it would help spread DE evenly, without kicking up a cloud of it every 5 minuites.

thanks.

11. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 0:00:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It is a very very fine powder. Reminds me of confectioners sugar. The duster will either puff it out like smoke or dump it.

I just got the one from Do your own pest control and it is much easier than the rose duster. Works one handed so you can have a free hand to hold open something.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/hand-duster-p-106.html

I'm using a putty knife to push down the carpet to expose the void and blasting in dust. I then let the excess sit on top of the carpet.

Also leaving a trail in the roller area of the sliding mirrors.

You are still gonna have excess and have to clean it up. I use a small paint brush to spread it thin and only with a mask and lots of ventilation.

Jim

12. BBbythebay

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jul 11 2008 0:15:38
    #

Login to Send PM

jim,

thanks for the recommendation! i've always struggled with the baby powder bottle technique with the baseboards; like you said, it comes out all-or-nothing.

as a follow up question, have you ever tried using DE in a solution and sprayed with a spritzer bottle?

thanks again; i appreciate you taking your time sharing what you've learned.

13. BedBatty

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Aug 7 2008 13:37:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I purchased a can of this stuff for $16 at a local hardware store, along with a rose duster. I found it a little difficult to manage compared to the hand bellow from domyownpestcontrol.com, but I discovered that if you only partially fill the canister for the rose duster, and hold and slightly pinch the end nozzle upwards when dusting, it generally comes out as a fine powder. I dusted the perimeter of my bedroom and the mattress itself. The bedbugs only seem to come out to bite me every few days, but since I started applying 5 weeks ago, I immediately noticed a reduction, and eventually, zero bites and bed bug poop on my bed when I wake up in the morning. Unlike what the website prescribed, I was fairly aggressive in re-applying the DE every half week to my bed, and every week around the perimeter. It's been about 3 weeks since my last bites, and I have been fairly satisfied with the results so far.

14. sickandtired

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Aug 7 2008 18:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

okay, now i'm freaked out again.

I bought some DE from an organics-type health products store, and I just tried to sprinkle it with a spoon... in front of a couple doors and around my airbed. but of course it was hard to spread evenly. it's pretty much spread like clumpy straight lines... but i'm thinking now it's too much.

i'm hoping since it's from an all-natural green store, that it isn't harmful. was told to wear a mask while spreading it, but that once it's down, settled, it's not harmful.

any comments? please

15. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Aug 7 2008 21:19:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You could try using a soft paitbrush (I use a large one), and just paint it on materials lightly. I "paint" my box spring, baseboards, all the metal and wood and fabric parts under the sofa and chair, the wood floor under the bed, etc.

16. sickandtired

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Aug 7 2008 22:50:34
    #

Login to Send PM

so how often do you do that paint brush thing? and how long do you leave it? do you vaccuum it up after or sweep it... or just let it ... dissolve or what?

i threw out my vacuum when i left my old place, not keen on buying another. i have no carpet in my new place.

17. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Aug 7 2008 23:33:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Better to get the word from one of our resident bug professionals.

The Results stuff is not just DE but also has pyrethrins and other stuff in it and their site says it breaks down.

"the active ingredients break down, leaving no residual contamination."

I assume that is why they want you to vacuum it up is the Pyrethins and other stuff breaks down so you replace it after a week.

DE is fossilized diatoms and is used by spraying into voids and sealing up.

Does DE ever lose its killing ability if undisturbed? Sure it could wash away or get covered in other matter but baring that I can't see how it could.

Diatect states about DE... "Because this is a mechanical process, DE can be literally effective forever."

I used the Diatect DE since it was readily available at an ACE hardware nearby. Other DE sources would have taken more time. I used it as a weapon in the war but not the only thing. Used it around all the bagged items so any escapees would have to cross it to hunt us. You should only use it where it will not get disturbed and airborne to breath. Diatec says it is safe but their own MSDS sheet says wear a mask and avoid skin contact. Take note of item 7 for personal protection for applicators...

http://www.diatect.com/msds_results.pdf

Currently I am using it while assembling furniture, taking proper precautions until caulked, in hopes to make them BB resistant.

Jim

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 0:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a DE FAQ, which is relevant even though (I believe) diatect is DE plus pesticides.

There's also a selection of dusting tools in the "Killing Bed Bugs" section of the Useful Stuff page.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  19. sickandtired

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 10:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Could someone please offer advice about using DE in bagged items? I'm going to buy DE to dust around my bed, bookcase, etc. But I want to put some in with the stuff that I've bagged -- like bags of books and photos -- and my PC unit, which I'm still using with a clear plastic bag over it (tied at the back by the cords, which I will dust.) I'm just wondering how much I put in a bag and do I have to spread it inside the books, etc. or just sprinkle some in the bag?

Also, anyone have luck/advice/experience with a Shark Steamer? Thanks.

20. belle72

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 10:51:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wondering if Diatect is food-grade DE? I have never used it all but if we do, it must be something safe to use around us as well as our pet.

21. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Aug 8 2008 11:13:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Contact them and ask. The MSDS and the available info doesn't say.

There are other sources for definite food grade DE.

Jim

22. Stefan

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Aug 10 2008 19:52:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sick and Tired- I believe i spoke with you in another thread regarding your PC. Do not bag your pc while it is running! It will overheat and break, and may actually be a fire hazard. PCs have fans that are needed to cool off the components. I know its hard to deal with bed bugs, but your method WILL destroy your computer. Its not a matter of risk, or it "may" overheat. It is a fact. If you cut off the airflow to the fan, your computer will break. There may be other methods that could work. Maybe its possible to isolate your PC, open it up, look carefully over the components, and put it back together. I wonder if placing your PC on a cinderblock, in a shallow tray of mineral oil. Then wrapping fly paper around each wire before they reach the PC would be effective. Albeit risky to suspend your PC over a tub of liquid!

23. sickandtired

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Aug 10 2008 22:53:19
    #

Login to Send PM

hi stefan, thanks, i did see your post and someone else's about the PC, and actually a friend told me that before i had it bagged and sealed.... so i realized, uh, yeah, NOT a good idea!! THANKS for the tips though! best of luck to us both

24. Stefan

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Aug 11 2008 8:25:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Yea, well be alright. I just spent a few grand on my computer, As i make my living on it. Im having a hard time figuring out how i will make it safe

25. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Aug 11 2008 22:22:35
    #

Login to Send PM

sickandtired,

I am skeptical about using dust in a bag with anything.

Bed bugs have to walk through dust in order to die. And anyway, dust might harm internal components of a PC.

26. sickandtired

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Aug 12 2008 15:42:02
    #

Login to Send PM

hey nobugs,

thanks, yeah i realized that using DE and bagging around a PC is not a good idea. momentary lapse of reason. gee, i wonder why? (could be lack of sleep?)

but what about sprinkling DE dust in bags with shoes? books? etc? do you think it's worth a try?

i currently have all my CRAP out on my balcony in various stages of bagging. planning to go through it all to determine what to store and what to toss. i was thinking of sprinkling DE in the bags i plan to store. pictures, books, cds. any thoughts?
    anyone, anyone? bueller?

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Aug 13 2008 1:52:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I would personally not seal up shoes with DE because you don't want it in your shoes or anywhere your skin might have contact.

I think non-washable items (books, shoes) MIGHT be better suited to DDVP strips in a sealed bag.

I am not recommending this method, just speculating. But others recommend it and you should read what they say and ask them questions. Click DDVP in the tags above right to read threads about this method. Do not try it unless you understand the safety considerations and methods people are talking about.

(FYI spideyjg reminds us in another thread that DDVP in a sealed bag is not a good method for computers and electronics because of corrosion.)

And I am not sure I'd subject pictures or other sensitive media to either method FWIW. Precious albums might be one of the things to either leave out or seal for 18 months.

28. aaghbugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 22 2008 17:39:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Tag! (easier to find this thread later)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams