Diagnosis Help - Husband bitten? Mattress is Clean

(4 posts)
  1. crp7556

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 14:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

We have just moved to Texas 6 weeks ago (military family), and while we are waiting for our house to be built, we are living in a furnished apartment. Just in the last week (after being here for 6 weeks) my husband has been waking each morning with welts under his arms and around his waist where his underwear elastic is. Plus, he has a swollen lip. He is concerned about bed bugs, and I am horrified at the possiblity (I have an 11 month old in the same room with us in this temporary apartment.), but when I check the mattress, it is clean - really clean. Nothing in the crevices, or the underside. The box spring is in fantastic shape, too - very clean. If there are bed bugs, I won't hesitate to get the apartment complex involved, but how do I know for sure!?!?!?

2. MyWorstFear

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 22:55:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Ours bug were INSIDE the box spring. If you looked at the mattress and even the box spring you couldn't see any signs. But when the PCO ripped open the box spring, there they were! Any chance you could slit it open and look?

3. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 23:02:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I concur with MWF.

(HEY! I pm'ed you.)

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 19 2012 23:10:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear crp,

Yes, the above points are right on track. The INSIDE of the box spring framing is "prime" bed bug hiding area.

This is why we remove the dut cover bottom fabric of box springs during inspections & treatments.

Once opened you will likely see the wood fram members where bed bugs hide. if there you will find them in butt joints and fastener holes. In the early stages of an infestation it may be more difficult to actually see the bed bugs when inspecting because there are plenty of cracks & crevies for them to hide well within. However, you should see fecal stains on the wood rather easily.

Good hunting, hope this helps ! paul b.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69