detection, NYC, advice!

(4 posts)
  1. thankful

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Jul 6 2018 20:29:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all. Forgive the length, if I go on. Like many, I am getting bites. I have gotten them, honestly, on and off for years. I was inspected some years ago by 2 inspectors: at that time one bed bug was found. I have never found the usual (I think) evidence of many bugs. But I have bites. And bites. Then more bites. On my legs and arms, various size, usually close together. Once they go away, I already have new ones. I have a platform bed, so I cannot use the "climber" detectors. A neighbor once had a confirmed problem. I recently spoke to the highly praised/respected NYC POC who posts here. I told him my bites started recently (since I hadn't had any over the winter/spring. of course I should have been clearer). He was kind and succinct, and said if I found the evidence I should collect it, until then it's probably just seasonal/bugs bite this time of year. I understand bites can have different sources. Question: how best to determine if it is an insect source, and/or bed bugs? From what I've read I'm wary of dog inspections. And that active detector looks, well, complicated to me. Again: I have had bites for years. On and off. What is my best bet to find out the source? Who should I best ask, in NYC, to come inspect? I am very very grateful for any responses.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 10:53:57
    #

Login to Send PM

thankful - 14 hours ago  » 
    Hello all. Forgive the length, if I go on. Like many, I am getting bites. I have gotten them, honestly, on and off for years. I was inspected some years ago by 2 inspectors: at that time one bed bug was found. I have never found the usual (I think) evidence of many bugs. But I have bites. And bites. Then more bites. On my legs and arms, various size, usually close together. Once they go away, I already have new ones. I have a platform bed, so I cannot use the "climber" detectors. A neighbor once had a confirmed problem. I recently spoke to the highly praised/respected NYC POC who posts here. I told him my bites started recently (since I hadn't had any over the winter/spring. of course I should have been clearer). He was kind and succinct, and said if I found the evidence I should collect it, until then it's probably just seasonal/bugs bite this time of year. I understand bites can have different sources. Question: how best to determine if it is an insect source, and/or bed bugs? From what I've read I'm wary of dog inspections. And that active detector looks, well, complicated to me. Again: I have had bites for years. On and off. What is my best bet to find out the source? Who should I best ask, in NYC, to come inspect? I am very very grateful for any responses.

You have to place various types of monitors in your home. Glueboard style to pitfall type style. You can use climb-up detectors, too. They don't have to be under a leg of furniture.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. thankful

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 13:38:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response! I just bought some sticky traps/glue board style online. Pitfall type and climb up are different types, I supposed. And if I understand you, the climb-up types just go somewhere near the bed? Or anywhere? thank you again, "lou bugs," it is great to get a response!

4. thankful

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Jul 7 2018 13:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your response! I just bought some sticky traps/glue board style online. Pitfall type and climb up are different types, I supposed. And if I understand you, the climb-up types just go somewhere near the bed? Or anywhere? thank you again, "lou bugs," it is great to get a response!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,177 posts in 45,459 topics over 138 months by 19,974 of 20,737 members. Latest: ihatebugsugh, Ladybeetle, bedBugsareSatanic