Detection for a bed frame with no legs?

(8 posts)
  1. paranoidintoronto

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 9 2011 16:34:36
    #

Login to Send PM

What would you recommend for bed bug trapping/detection for my bed frame, which has no legs? It’s an Ikea bed: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S19849842 . As you can see, there is no way a Climb-Up will fit anywhere.

The reason I want detection:

My apartment neighbours across the hall (who actually share a common wall with me: we’re both at the end of the hallway, and their unit wraps around the stairwell) have bed bugs and have been treated once for it (the PCO is coming again tomorrow for a second treatment). Meanwhile, I have been finding marks on my body which may or may not be bites. I would pass them off as just zits, except some of them are in locations where I do not ever remember getting acne before (inside of forearm, side of torso). They tend to be very small, and do not itch. They generally appear singly, and never in close groups or in a line.

When I found out about my neighbours’ infestation, I put vaseline around the base of the bed frame, although now I read in these forums that vaseline may not do anything (I did catch a carpet beetle larva though).

What’s interesting is that a couple of weeks before my neighbours told me about the bugs, I was already getting paranoid about possible bites, and told the building manager about my worries. They sent a PCO who checked my bed and sofa with a flashlight and found no signs of fecal stains or anything else. I was relieved for a couple of weeks until my neighbours told me of their infestation.

In the meantime, I have been checking my white sheets, and my bed frame, for fecal stains, castoffs, and whatnot, but have not seen a single thing.

I can’t stopped stressing about it... any advice? Thank you.

2. lagirl31

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 9 2011 17:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I think in your case the passive monitor is probably best - I haven't used them before so I can't vouch for it, but I've purchased two and plan to use them once I'm done with my current round of treatment. There are several links to them on this website, but they basically create an ideal home for the bedbugs and make it easy to see traces of bedbug activity.

I have the same bedframe, and I found bedbugs in a knot on the wooden mattress slats! Not saying that you have bedbugs, but I do think that taking the mattress up and carefully checking all the mattress slats might be worth your time, if you know that your neighbors are having an issue. The screw holes near the head of the bedframe are the other place I saw signs of bedbug activity (eggs + fecal stains).

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 9 2011 17:49:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Go to a lumber yard and get a 4x4 cut into 8- 1 inch cuts. Screw in one at each corner with 1 1/2 inch screws. Screw them in from the bottom to create a small leg. Once you have the 4 corners lifted, screw the other 4 into the first 4. Now your bed will be raised 2 inched off the ground and you have a small leg to put into a climb up.

Sounds more complicated then it is, should cost you about 15 bucks, you can unscrew them when you're done monitoring. Use 2 screws for each piece of wood.

Sorry for any typos - I'm on a phone.

4. paranoidintoronto

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 9 2011 22:10:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the tips.

I just checked the mattress slats. No signs of anything.

I have absolutely no aptitude or experience with woodwork... maybe I could get someone to help me with that. In the meantime I will order some of the BBAlert passive monitors.

5. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 10 2011 0:01:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider utilizing a BB Alert Passive monitor... The BB Alert Passive does not require the bed to be isolated on legs.

http://www.usbedbugs.com/assets/pdf/passive-instructions.pdf

KQ's suggestion for adding legs is the best way to adapt the bed frame for climb up monitors

6. lilmary12585

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 10 2011 2:46:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I think kq advice should be added to FAQ for those of us that have a bed like this. It's brilliant!!!

7. roamer

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri May 27 2011 16:44:25
    #

Login to Send PM

What is a climb up? Where do you get one?

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat May 28 2011 1:16:57
    #

Login to Send PM

ClimbUp Interceptors are a passive form of bed bug trap, for determining if you have or continue to have bed bugs. (BBAlert Passive is a passive bed bug monitor many people here use instead.)

You can find out where to buy ClimbUp Insect Interceptors and many other items mentioned on the forums in the Useful Stuff page. There are also links there to FAQs about the various products.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,275 posts in 50,155 topics over 155 months by 21,924 of 22,420 members. Latest: duracell, Parawail, Quiltergirl