Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Desperate now. Please ID shells and blood stains.

(13 posts)
  1. whydotheyexist

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 22:30:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Second post here now. Previously, I had woken up with bites but haven't gotten more than 2-3 since then.

Background: my boyfriend and I recently bought a townhouse that was 7 years old. He has been sleeping at that house, but I have been sleeping at my parents' house since we purchased the home. My boyfriend has been sleeping on a white sheet on the carpet in the bedroom. Two days ago, he woke up with bites at various points on his body (legs, torso, back). He was also having back pain from sleeping on the ground so we got him an air mattress to use for now and he has been using it in the living room. We thought maybe we had fleas (due to the bites) so we set up flea traps around the house (in both bedrooms and also now in the living room where he sleeps), but they have not caught anything. There is NO furniture in the house other than the air mattress (no couch, no bed, nada).

Today, I went over to inspect the bedrooms and found these on the carpet by the baseboards:

https://imgur.com/a/miakO33

Can someone please, please ID these for me? Are these bed bug shells? My boyfriend also pointed out some red stains on the white sheets that showed up over the last 2-3 days. The pictures are added in the series above. We are growing very anxious and desperate. We have someone from pest control coming in on Friday to inspect.

2. whydotheyexist

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 10 2018 23:04:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I want to add, I also found this crawling along on the baseboard in the bedroom. It was extremely tiny - I tried to zoom in as much as I could so I apologize for the horrible quality:

https://imgur.com/a/Fxl4aJh

The first is a video of the insect moving; the other are images I tried to take. It was translucent and barely visible - it snuck into the baseboard before we could get it. Wondering if this is an instar? It has a little reddish speck in the middle of the body. Hoping it was just a booklouse but really not sure... any help would be so greatly appreciated. This community is the only thing keeping me somewhat sane.

3. lsdrg706

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 1:58:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The shells look like carpet beetle related. The video looks unrelated to bed bugs to me. Hope that helps take some of the edge off, but please do wait for expert confirmation.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 5:54:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Samples are beetle larva.

The stains are not related to bed bugs.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 7:26:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetle larvae shed skins. Look like an Anthrenus species. There might be enough around to have a skin reaction. The small creature running around could be a booklouse. Better of with close-up pictures rather than a video that isn't close-up.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. whydotheyexist

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 10:32:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your responses - I can't tell you how much relief it was to read that all the pictures seem unrelated to bed bugs.

The tiny translucent bug that hid in the baseboards may have had wings as I could swear I saw something flutter at the base of it's body when it tried to sneak into the baseboard. I'm not sure though, the thing was exceptionally tiny, basically the size of a period at the end of the sentence.

Do you think it could be possible that the previous owners had bed bugs in the baseboards or under the carpet? As mentioned, we have NO furniture in the house and moved in a month ago. There is carpet in the two bedrooms, but we have not seen any fecal stains. Just the blood stains. I really do appreciate all the insight and the help - I hope we can figure this out.

7. whydotheyexist

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 11:46:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for the double post. Just found some more things. The first three are a small red speck I found on my upper chest - wasn't moving or anything. At first I thought it was a scab but looking at these pictures it looks like there might be legs? I don't know. I might honestly just be imagining things.

The last 3 pictures are of something I found in my glue trap that I had placed around the room. Looks like it has wings - not sure what it is. At first I thought it was another flea, but I'm not sure.

https://imgur.com/a/wnGgz6V

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 12:25:01
    #

Login to Send PM

whydotheyexist - 37 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry for the double post. Just found some more things. The first three are a small red speck I found on my upper chest - wasn't moving or anything. At first I thought it was a scab but looking at these pictures it looks like there might be legs? I don't know. I might honestly just be imagining things.
    The last 3 pictures are of something I found in my glue trap that I had placed around the room. Looks like it has wings - not sure what it is. At first I thought it was another flea, but I'm not sure.

Tiny fragments don't appear to be insect-related, just debris. The insect in the other pictures is a phorid fly. Larvae breed in moist, organic material, can be drains, rotting organic things, dead insects, etc.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 12:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 27 seconds ago  » 

whydotheyexist - 37 minutes ago  » 

Tiny fragments don't appear to be insect-related, just debris. The insect in the other pictures is a phorid fly. Larvae breed in moist, organic material, can be drains, rotting organic things, dead insects, etc. As I said before, better to get a good closeup than any video of something that is small.

10. whydotheyexist

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 12:28:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs, I am sure you hear this a lot - you are amazing. Thank you for all that you do. You've been helping me more than you could ever know.

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 14:08:17
    #

Login to Send PM

whydotheyexist - 1 hour ago  » 
    Loubugs, I am sure you hear this a lot - you are amazing. Thank you for all that you do. You've been helping me more than you could ever know.

Thanks, for your thoughts, but all the professionals (and some knowledgeable amateurs, too) frequent the board to help out whenever possible. We learn, too.

12. whydotheyexist

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Oct 11 2018 16:22:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Loubugs.

I tried to compare the pictures of that teeny tiny bug on the baseboard with pictures of booklice. I noticed that the bug on the baseboard has a small "red" speck in the center of it's body. Are there any other bugs that would fit that description (tiny, likely translucent, small red speck in the center)?

13. whydotheyexist

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Tue Oct 16 2018 21:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Just thought I would give an update.

No new bites on me or the partner since I last posted. We had a pest control guy come in and he said he can't rule out bed bugs, but that he also found no evidence of bed bugs. He did see an adult carpet beetle crawling around on the stairs.

We've vacuumed the place but haven't had much interaction with the bedroom - partner has been sleeping on the main floor/living room on an air mattress (hardwood).

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I really appreciate it - it has been helping me a lot through a trying time. I will provide updates as they come.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg