Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Describe the smell - compare to food if you can.

(6 posts)
  1. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 16 2013 14:13:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everybody. I'm on a roll today.

Actually I'm finally starting to feel better and instead of scared bate, I'm the bb vigilante now - haha.

I've heard a large infestation can easily be smelled and that it smells "sweet" but I cannot put a smell to "sweet" in my mind. Last night I thought I smelled someone burning cinnabons.

If you know the smell, please try to describe it by comparing it to the smell of something else recognizable - like food. Even if you think you're take on the smell is ridiculous, I'd like to hear what you think it smells like.

It would really help me

2. bugsonme

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu May 16 2013 14:15:19
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a very good description - stolen from another thread and I don't know the poster....

It is like a sweet and sour smell. Smells like fruity gum but ends on a sour note. My sister commented it could be B.O. as we do go to the gym and sweat in our car (but not enough to cause a smell. I do have some dirty laundry (sleeping pants and shorts.)

3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 17 2013 7:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi bugsonme,

There are quite a few threads regarding the smell of bed bugs . . . here is a quote from Lou Sorkin, who has quite a few bed bugs:

loubugs - 1 month ago  » 
    Bed bug smell: what is it? This query always pops up. Is it the smell of the bed bug, the pheromones? Is it the smell of the infestation? Dead bed bug odors? Dead insect odors? Fecal blood odor? Shed skin odor: fresh or old? Eggs: viable, dead, hatched?
    When you have a jar of bed bugs that have been in there a while, there are lots of odors. When you have a fresh group of bed bugs and you bother them, you have a new set of odors. When you have both, you have a mixture of odors. The bed bugs smell like bed bugs even when not bothered, but you have to ask a dog that has been trained to tell you what that is. It could be just faint odor very similar to the alarm pheromone one that I alluded to above plus some other trace odors, possibly from glands or cuticular origins. Freshly molted bed bug shed skins (exuviae) have this odor because there are 3 dorsal abdominal glands in bed bug nymphs; the adult bed bug does not have these any longer, but does have thoracic glands and evaporative areas. See pictures of former at http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/5424452420/in/photostream
    So when the question is what do bed bugs smell like, the question can be broken down to insects and infestation. The fresh alarm pheromone odor ((E)-2-hexenal and (E)-2-octenal) smells like coriander or cilantro, maybe some citronella, at least that's what I smell. A more musty smell or maybe it's something like raspberries could be a mixture of these items plus the rusty smell of old blood (bed bug fecal matter). Mix in dead insect/bed bug odor, shed skins, etc. and you have the infestation odor.
    Think about canine detection and use of bed bugs and all the other material in an infestation and if the trainers and handlers don't negatively train their dogs about non-living bed bug odor? They train them on infestation and not live odor. The dog may certainly alert to "bed bugs" that have been dead for years. A visual clarification will help here. Most if not all canine trainers and handlers know about this and use distractor finds (hides) to make sure dogs don't alert to plastic, tape, paper, dead bed bugs, other dead insects, hatched bed bug eggs, etc.
    If you pay attention and concentrate on what a bed bug smells like, you will remember it. Just ask any canine trained to find them. David Cain also knows this, too. Not calling you a dog, David. woof.

It is from this thread: http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/describe-the-smell

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri May 17 2013 16:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

And there's a FAQ: "I'll take 'What do bed bugs smell like?' for 500 please, Alex."

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. LadyO

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon May 20 2013 12:15:24
    #

Login to Send PM

for me bed bugs smell like cilantro (when you kill them) or like a bad brandy.

6. arianacassie

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue May 21 2013 19:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

For me it smelled like a musty basement.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs