(44 posts)
  1. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 11:22:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I have had 3 pco treatments, one week a part each. He used steam, Demand CS and Gentrol. Last treatment (5 days ago) he doubled the strength of the Gentrol because they were still biting...and they still are. I will get a few days of relief after he comes but they start up again in earnest, which tells me he is not hitting their nest, neither in my bedroom nor my car. There is a 6 month warranty but it seems these two chemicals are all he has, as I asked him to bring something different last time and he just doubled what he had been doing.

He sprays the baseboards and he did steam my bedroom floor (which I also mop daily) but I am thinking they are in the floorboards. I put DE all under my bed...my mattress is on the floor as the boxspring would not fit up my stairs. My thought is to get a platform bedframe or something where I can isolate my bed because just leaving it on the floor is not working. But then I'm afraid they will find somewhere else to bite me. I am sometimes bitten in the computer chair and often in my car. He sprayed the car twice now and nothin'. As good as when I was vacuuming it regularly.

I have also caulked a TON including some of the larger gaps in my bedroom floor. I was thinking of getting Alpine Dust for the baseboards and outlets as well and mopping my floors daily with rubbing alcohol or cedarcide or even sealing it. Just don't know what to do anymore, I vacuum my mattress (which has a protector on it) daily. Honestly, the mattress protector provided the most relief thus far. The intolerable swelling on my back is finally...after WEEKS...going down.

I especially do not know what to do with my car which he and I have steam detailed and which I vacuum out regularly and use DE on the floors, and which has been sprayed twice with his chemical mixture. He got rid of them for a friend of mine, but they caught it much earlier.

How can these things still be alive? I found a dead one last week underneath my bed. My roomate, who is an archaeologist and has had them before on different trips, but has not been believing me took out his magnifying glass and went, "oh yea, that's them". Which I guess it's nice to not be thought of as crazy but I'd rather be crazy than swollen with bites.

Any advice on next steps? My roomate is either not reacting or not getting bitten. I caulked pretty well any pathways to his bedroom from mine, and also he has rigged a platform bed and is using climb ups. I am just trying to prevent them from spreading, which is likely too late for the living room and kitchen, which is between our bedrooms I just keep dusting with DE and caulking and vacuuming and trying to let the chemicals do their thing. I sort of have to win here as my landlord is my friend and I really like this place as well as my car (which I'm open to vikaning when I have the $$$). But I'm a bit frustrated.

Thankfully my job is allowing me to work from home until the problem is solved so I don't bring them there (which I already might have).

Thanks.

-p.

2. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 11:24:41
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry I meant to say I vacuum my bedroom floor daily...do not mop as I don't want to disturb the chemicals

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 11:36:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

You should not be caulking until the issue is resolved.

Otherwise you run the risk of temporarily sealing bedbugs into place that they take longer to come out of, meaning the insecticide is less effective and therefore prolonging your infestation.

Also spraying a one week intervals is too close as it does not take into account the life cycle of bedbugs. It is widely accepted by those using chemical methods that 2 weeks is more optimal.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 11:43:34
    #

Login to Send PM

What David said. Also, Gentrol is not an insecticide. It (supposedly) prevents immature bugs from growing to adulthood, but also (supposedly) makes them more active, as well.

Please post pictures of what you're finding. Other than your room-mate's ID, what verification have you had the the bugs you're treating for are bed bugs?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 11:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Three exterminators have id'd fecal matter and the current one id'd the bug I found. The bug is way too small (1st or 2nd stage) to take a good pic of with my phone. They had to look at it with a magnifying glass. The exterminator said I could caulk after the 2nd spray. But I will put a halt to it, though most of my bedroom is now caulked (and to be clear, I dusted every crack I caulked with DE beforehand just to double kill whatever is in there and dusted the baseboards with DE as well). But yes, Gentrol is not doing the trick and Demand does not seem to last long. I will have to ask him to bring in something stronger or hire someone else, which I hate to do having paid for a warranty. Is there a way to demand (lol pun intended) that he use something else??? And what might I suggest? I don't think he has anything else...is a one man operation who mentioned purchasing his chemicals in bulk over the summers for the year. I am not asking him to come back until 2 weeks have passed since the last spray, just to limit my exposure to chemicals as well.

Lastly, can chemicals even work in a car?

Thanks
    -p.

6. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 11:53:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Andshould I isolate my bed?

THANK YOU!

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 11:56:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Read the FAQ's.

It is always best to read them before you start treatment.

David

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 12:11:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Some of the research also shows that Gentrol used at label rates does not achieve anticipated results It doesn't act on bed bugs as it does on cockroaches. U of Kentucky research.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 13:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou. I'll ask him to use some other pesticide next time. I think that's why he doubled the Gentrol last treatment but still being bitten, pretty much in every chair of the apt. Any recommendations for something that could nicely accompany Demand CS and DE?

Thanks-

-p.

10. Louise

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 14:54:07
    #

Login to Send PM

peaches - 3 hours ago  » 
    Three exterminators have id'd fecal matter and the current one id'd the bug I found.

Is the fecal matter these exterminators ID'd the same as the fecal matter you posted pictures of on this site back in February?

peaches - 3 hours ago  » 
    The bug is way too small (1st or 2nd stage) to take a good pic of with my phone.

Do you have access to a computer scanner? That would allow you to take an amazinly good picture that you could post here.

11. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 15:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

No access to a computer scanner. Folks! It has been id'd multiple times and we id'd a bug. My bites (some) are in rows of two or three on my upper body. Let's move on to what will kill these jerkfaces.

Maybe I just need to hire the expensive exterminator here.

(and for the record just to be exceedingly circumspect, the fecal traces on one of my pillows was actually a grease stain from my iron as I had been steam ironing my pillow...on the mattress, which was very hard to see in the pic, it was bed bug fecal matter...there was other fecal matter found as well not pictured). Whoever said it was not was wrong, but I blame the quality of the photo of my mattress for that.

moving along...please!

Thank you.

12. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 15:29:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Did this place get sued once or something for verifying something that wasn't, because it sure seems people are more interested in disproving a confirmed infestation than giving advice on one. Curious.

13. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 16:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Everything you and your PCO/hack are doing is wrong and illegal.

We ask to be sure of the ID because 95% of the time, the pictures that get posted here, are not bed bugs.

Your archaeologist friend should stick to his profession and leave the bed bug thing to the professionals in the correct field. Your PCO doesn't sound like a professional to me at all.

I probably have the best first time treatment results on the planet and I use Demand CS. I'll help you but not before I see confirming evidence. I can't tell you how many times I follow PCO's that confirm evidence when in fact it's not. And we don't need to get into your friend again.

If you can't post a picture of the bug I can offer you my address to send it via regular mail. If in fact you have a bed bug sample, I'll personally call you and help you win this war once and for all. Let me know if you need a mailing address.

14. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 17:06:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear peaches,

(Peaches, really?)

("Are your peaches fuzzy?" Imus, sorry, couldn't resist quoting Don Imus.)

OK, to underscore what's posted above: UK and others have refuted the utility/efficacy of IGRs for use against bed bugs.

Here's a fundamental concept you need to understand:

We can't kill bed bugs in the bedroom by applying insecticides in the kitchen. (If I've posted this once, it's been posted xxx times before.)

And, we cant kill bed bugs hiding in their harborages in your bed frame, box spring, etc. by simply applying pesticides along the base boards or under your bed.

Of course, we need to know for sure that you do, in fact, have bed bugs. Now, when I blew out my mcl playing hockey I didn't go to a friggin archeologist so he could dig up an new knee joint for me, I decided it best to go to an orthopedist but, maybe that's just me.

Neither should we be seeking the advice of a non-bugologist type persons to confirm that the critters we're dealing with are in fact bed bugs for sure.

Demand CS is an acceptable product but will not be effective if applied as per your description above.

However, what's likely most important at this time is to confirm with 100% certainty that you actually have bed bugs and then [proceed from there.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

15. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 17:15:06
    #

Login to Send PM

How is your Knee today Paul? lol

16. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 19:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, my knee is good but my basal thumb joint is basically "effed" due to a 100 + mph shot from a former nhl-er.

Maybe I'm a really slow learner but over the years I've come to learn that sometiomes hockey hurts.

And, I have two games tonight, so, yeah, I'm dumb that way !

Hope you're doing very well KQ, keep up the good work !

pjb

17. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Mar 18 2013 19:05:27
    #

Login to Send PM

W T F ! ? !

Hey NBs,

I just looked and noticed that I'm now an "oldtimer". WTF !

Can't you change that to "experienced pro" or something else?

With these recent injuries combined with my recent BD, I'm thinking there may be some sort of oldtimer conspiracy thing going on.

Thanks ! pjb

18. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 19 2013 11:23:45
    #

Login to Send PM

peaches...fuzzy? so confused

anywho, I will try to get a good pic with a magnfiying glass

thanks

19. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 19 2013 11:40:38
    #

Login to Send PM

also, which part is illegal? the doubling of the gentrol? Now I'm concerned (though not feeling ill)

20. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 19 2013 12:31:56
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 17 hours ago  » 

I just looked and noticed that I'm now an "oldtimer". WTF !
    Can't you change that to "experienced pro" or something else?
    With these recent injuries combined with my recent BD, I'm thinking there may be some sort of oldtimer conspiracy thing going on.
    Thanks ! pjb

I'm an "oldtimer", not a pro, so "experienced pro" would not work as a label for me.

21. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 19 2013 12:45:08
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, I have been told in the past individual labels are possible for those that deserve it.

Unfortunately my negotiations to receive the title "grand pubar" ended badly. I can certainly think of a few who are shooting for the title "good timer"

David

22. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 19 2013 12:57:37
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 10 minutes ago  » 
    LOL, I have been told in the past individual labels are possible for those that deserve it.
    Unfortunately my negotiations to receive the title "grand pubar" ended badly.
    David

Please expand on said negotiations . . . and "badly"!

bed-bugscouk - 10 minutes ago  » 
    I can certainly think of a few who are shooting for the title "good timer"
    David

And should we name names or do you think Paul and TAOT want to remain unidentified? LOL!

23. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 19 2013 14:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Why explain when I can attempt to demonstrate, assuming I have your consent to do so

David

24. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 19 2013 15:26:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear peaches,

Unless you're an insect and subject to metamorphosis and motling, I think you're realtively safe from an IGR.

However, you did ask "what's illegal?" above. (We'll need KQ to post his observations for that comment specifically.) However, the following would be "considered illegal":

> Using a pesticide in conflict with the label directions. (i.e. we should not be applying pesticides in excess of the label rates or volumes, to places not allowed on the label, for pests not specified on the label, generally speaking.)

> Applying a pesticide for a target pest that is not present nor a threat to become an infestation at a location. (i.e. we should not be applying pesticides on a routine basis for pests that are not present nor will be reasonably expected to be a pest situation at a location.)

Regarding your comment on control advice, caution and confirmation of pest present:

> Please remember that it is a fundamental basic to confirm the identity and presence of pests prior to implementing pest management applications of pesticides and other methodologies, In this way we know that what we're doing will be efficacious.

25. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 19 2013 16:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Why explain when I can attempt to demonstrate, assuming I have your consent to do so
    David

Why Mr. Cain, whatever do you mean?

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 0:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

peaches,

peaches - 1 day ago  » 
    Did this place get sued once or something for verifying something that wasn't, because it sure seems people are more interested in disproving a confirmed infestation than giving advice on one. Curious.

No-- and please read the Terms and Conditions of use. The website is not responsible even if people do post incorrect information or IDs here.

However, we have often seen people receive treatment from professionals when they did not have bed bugs. Some have even had a bug incorrectly identified as a bed bug by a technician from a pest control company.

I suspect it's rare but people just want to be sure that you're dealing with bed bugs before giving suggestions. I know it seems frustrating but everyone is just trying to help.

david,

I think you mean Grand Poobah.

P Bello,

Peaches: Really? Are you a fratboy?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  27. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 1:49:29
    #

Login to Send PM

First, LM*O!

bed-bugscouk - 12 hours ago  » 
    Unfortunately my negotiations . . . ended badly.
    David

Second, apparently those negotiations ended badly for someone and it wasn't you!! And surely I don't deserve such an honor!

Pssst NoBugs, have I ever told you how very much I have always admired your impartiality and endless diplomacy? Oh and did I happen to mention how very pretty you are looking today?! Just say'n!!!!

28. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 10:27:37
    #

Login to Send PM

fratboy? what? I don't get what is happening here at all, except that I gather I'm being made fun of for no reason, which would seem to me to violate the terms of use. something I have not done.

And for the last time, my infestation has been confirmed by three separate pco's.

I am waiting to get a hold of my roomate's magnifying glass to take a photo but as I've said, infestation has been confirmed by the people you all say need to confirm it, including a company that has been treating bed bugs for decades. I don't have any reason to lie about that, nor do I appreciate the tone her when I am going through this nightmare.

we really need to move on from this aspect of the discussion.

thank you.

-peaches.

29. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 10:34:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Peaches,

The reason why we ask to confirm the ID is that it is not unheard of to get incorrect identification. The record I have seen is six pest controllers across three different companies all claiming it was bedbugs when in fact it was something else.

I have also checked and I think you will find that the frat boy comment is directed at Paul. Humor can be a very subject thing and no more so than when you are anxious. I don't think any offense was meant.

David

30. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 10:36:53
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you David re: the frat boy comment. I was very confused.

31. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 11:37:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear peaches,

Please excuse my attempt to inject a bit of humor. Obviously, you didn't appreciate that aspect.

However, we are here to help you.

Lest we forget, it's fundamental to correctly identify the pest in question. BUT, and that's a big but (not yours), we've seen where bug bigs have been misidentified by pros before. And, as KQ eloquently pointed out, there were some issues with what's been applied at your home by a pro which was also one of the folks who provided the ID. As such, there's a tad of skepticism present.

But, yes another one, and folks know I say this "all the time", this ain't rocket science. For the most part I think you can pretty much ID a bed bug yourself provided suitable guidance. And, despite our former entonology professor's warnings that "eyeball taxonomy" may lead to errors, IMO regarding bed bugs, not so much. As such, even if you don't have a photo to post for us to look at, which we'd gladly do for you, all you need do is find a suitable specimen in your home to confirm it's bed bugs.

For ID purposes for YOU, not guys like KQ, DC, Lou, me, Effeci, DS or others, such a specimen would include: a shed skin, or a live or dead bed bug. Get your specimen and compare it visually to the bed bug photos you'll find here or elsewhere. If compares favorably to the likeness of what you see in the posted bed bug photos, I'd be willing to wager you have a bed bug. However, there'd be the slight chance that your specimen might actually be a bat bug but, there's that word again, from the information you've posted it's not likely to be a bat bug and, of course, we could verify that later if need be.

Overall, the folks here are trying to help you as best we can from afar so, if you have additional questions or concerns let us know and we'll do our best to address those if any.

Hope this helps and have a great day ! paul b.

Ps. Fratboy? Where on God's Green Earth did that come from ? Now, FYI, yes I was a frat bro back at _ _ _ (name withheld to protect the innocent) however, the very reason I joined that group was due to the very character of those guys. In fact, that character was lacking was a key factor in my decision process. For example: Were we a nationally known frat? Yes. Were we a nationally ranked frat? Yes but low ranking is still a ranking. Were we, in fact, on double secret probation? No comment but that made the group more attractive to me. Did I raise our frat's gpa when I joined? Yup, I was the ONLY sciense major in the group. Were we, that is my institution of higher learning, nationally ranked in the top four of Play_ _ _ magazine's top party schools in the nation during that time period? Yup. Did we have a good time? Ubetchurazz !

have a nice day ! pjb

32. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 16:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

peaches - 6 hours ago  » 
    fratboy? what? I don't get what is happening here at all, except that I gather I'm being made fun of for no reason, which would seem to me to violate the terms of use. something I have not done.
    ]

Sorry you misunderstood. I can understand now why that might have happened.

I was actually calling P Bello out for making what sounded like a rude comment (though I didn't actually understand it, it sounded like something a fratboy would say).

Since I wasn't sure, I didn't delete it right then.

This was my comment:

P Bello,

Peaches: Really? Are you a fratboy?

The "P Bello" notes who I'm addressing, and the "Peaches" was a reference to his words.

Again, sorry for any confusion.

33. gachic1983

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 17:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Peaches,

I am no pro and just come on here because I am dealing with bed bugs too. I have been at this for 7 weeks and have paid $$$ for someone to come out that is at least a professional company (professional is a loose term). I wish I would have avoided that and just called a company right away that does the thermal heating thing. It is super expensive, but the 7 wks I have not been living is valuable also.

I have already spent well over the $2500 the company would charge just in cost and what I have thrown away. So I really feel like a big idiot. This website has taught me a lot, but the number one thing it has taught me is that bed bugs are super super hard to get rid of and it seems they work like an infectious disease except they are not considered life threatening. I have been living in my basement which I thought was safe from them and then the other day I find one squished on my shirt.

If I were you I would demand this guy use something that is proven to fight bed bugs (based off of expert opinions off of this forum). I would not go start over paying someone else. And of course I am now realizing my professionals didn't help me and they are over the guarantee and now charging again.

I am starting my own methods. DE should arrive by Friday. I am going to dust the whole house where if they are anywhere on floor they will be DONE. Also I will have to hit my car as they now might be in my car. At least I am hoping it is the car and not the basement which I sleep and work in.

I would take the person up on their offer to view the bug by mail. I was going to send mine to the Georgia extension office but haven't done so yet. Here is an extra reason to identify using an actual professional: there are 3 types of bugs that look similar; bed bug, bat bug, and chicken bug (I think). I was told the only difference between a bed and bat bug is that bat bug has double length hairs which have to be viewed by an expert under a lens. I am now thinking there is a good chance I have bat bugs because my bugs act a bit weird contrary to everything I have read on here and elsewhere. For instance they are sporadic. No one has ever had bite marks really. I have had maybe 6 in 8 weeks on my shoulders and chest but no big deal and possibly not even bites but just heat bumps or something else. I have never seen feces or eggs and had only seen full grown bugs until the one on my shirt the other day. I am not in the upstairs area a lot but am looking all over the place all the time with magnifying glass and flashlight. There is not bats in my attic but I don't think that eliminates bat bugs 100%, so to me it is worth dropping it in the mail today.

Best wishes!!!

34. Koebner

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 20 2013 17:54:23
    #

Login to Send PM

gachic - did you ever post that pic I asked about? As I said, there are intriguing things about your description of the problem & a couple of good, detailed images posted here could give you that definitive ID you want.

If you can pop a sample into a ziploc & run it through a flatbed scanner on the highest resolution, you should get imageswith all the necessary detail. Make sure the whole insect is visible & post both a topside & a belly-up view.

35. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 13:31:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the explaining. You guys have obviously known each other a long time! I'm hoping that will yeild some help for my situation. My roomate has not been around to get the pic, tried the scanner it wouldn't catch it. Seems to be a 1st stage instar that has fed. Def. a bed bug, but will keep trying to get a pic, want to keep the actual bug for any local exterminators I might have to hire.Called the pco two days ago to ask about using alcohol on the floors, no return call.6 month warranty but not sure what that means to him, if I have to produce more evidence or just more bites or what.

Ok so I might have done something extra stupid. I have been vacuuming the mattress cover but I also steamed it twice. And I am beginning to wonder if this might have broken some seal or something because since the last time I steamed it, as soon as I lie in my bed I am bitten, even after vacuuming it. I hope I didn't ruin the cover. Thoughts?

-p.

36. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 13:57:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Boot A Pest, Inc.
    18 Broadway
    Malverne, NY 11552

I'll mail the bug back to you!

37. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 14:23:35
    #

Login to Send PM

ok Killer Queen...thank you! I'm not near NYC though, but even just some advice would be nice.

38. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 14:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

> Called the pco two days ago to ask about using alcohol on the floors

Whatever you do, avoid alcohol on the floors.

Alcohol will kill any bug (but not egg) that you hit directly. A bug that later crawls over a surface you applied alcohol on will not be harmed. Alcohol is a fire hazard and will damage certain surfaces and finishes. You will get the same (limited) benefit from a soap or detergent that's most suited to the surface you're treating. Also, if it's a smooth surface, you can wipe with an damp paper towel or rag for the same effect.

And yes, I'd be cautious about mopping a treated surface to avoid defeating the poisons, however, responsible PCOs apply modern poisons to cracks, crevices and perimeters, not to "open" floors.

39. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 15:05:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

We need to be certain that the folks we seek ID help or advice from are in fact experienced and well versed in bed bug matters.

In certain office locations it would likely be rare to find a person well versed in structural pests at an agricultural extension office. Corn root worm - yes, cotton boll weevil - yup, but bed bugs - not so much.

Gachic, I happen to be located in Alpharetta if you have questions or ID needs.

Peaches, vacuuming & steaming are viable control methods so, you're doing some things right. My concern is why you may continue to be getting bit. Are you finding bed bug evidence when you look? I'm assuming you already know what to look for, where to look and how to inspect when doing so, right ?

40. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 15:09:37
    #

Login to Send PM

peaches - 39 minutes ago  » 
    ok Killer Queen...thank you! I'm not near NYC though, but even just some advice would be nice.

You're asking for help that nobody can help you with. The point of providing my business address is to send the sample you have via regular mail. It doesn't matter where you're located for me to ID what you have. You said you needed the sample in case others needed to see it and I said I would mail it back.

I don't have the time to go round robin in a thread and would like to help you but I first need to know if in fact you do need help with bed bugs. As stated earlier, I've seen more "exterminators" ID bed bugs and be wrong. Fact is, too many of them want to do bed bug treatments for people who don't have bugs. It's the easiest job to do and the most profitable.

So as I said already - I'll help you ID the bug and get it back to you. I can't help you until you help me figure out what you found. If not I'm done in here, no offense.

41. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 15:14:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Just sayin . . .

42. peaches

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 15:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

KQ, again I am lost. You offered to assist with ID, I offered appreciation. Am I missing something here?

Anywho...thanks Paul for the feedback. I have not found evidence in about a week, but have a couple new bites around my neck/upper back...not many, I react BADLY right away. I am assuming by the end of next week I'll have more evidence if the pco doesn't retreat. Which I guess I may have to look for for him, but shouldn't new bites constitute evidence in a confirmed infestation that was just treated?

I don't think he sprayed my floors or the cracks in the floor at all, which is why i think they continue as I have no bedframe.

thanks again
    -p.

43. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 21 2013 16:17:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear p,

Unfortuneatley, but correctly, bite evidence alone is not the best determinant factor upon which to base actionable decisions. And, there are reasons for this. Bite reaction varies by individual and may be inconsistent. For example; in one study, old bite areas also reacted when the subject had been bitten in different areas.

It is wise to inspect and discover confirmed physical evidence rather than make application & control decisions based solely upon bite evidence. And, believe it or not, this is good for you !

Suppose we inspect yet don't discover anything and then we go ahead and treat the inspected areas. Essentially, we are then treating in areas where there are no bed bugs. Conversely, if there are bed bugs present, as perhaps evidenced by continued bites, we missed finding them and our control efforts will likely be for naught.

As such, we're (you) are much better off in searching/inspecting until we find what we're looking for, you know, those tiny little blood sucking bastards, and kill them, kill them all ! ( I know, a tad harsh.)

44. rca

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Apr 16 2018 13:58:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Even though this post is old, it really helped me to understand a lot more about help on the forums and what is required to get that. I am having some clime-ups shipped to me so that I can definitively get a pic of my own bug. I found a dead one that had dried up and matched it to a pic online, but as soon as I went to lift it for sampling, it started to crumble apart (not the body). Hopefully I can get one to post. Thanks to those helping back in 2013 here for leaving this post.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

276,123 posts in 45,452 topics over 138 months by 19,969 of 20,732 members. Latest: Ganonthecannon, Cass2369, Oceanside06